New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2016-11-01 16:54:14

louis

Musk shows how it's done - with the Sun. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRqSkR4ENAg

Elon Musk is the Edison of our age! smile  I love the way he breaks down a problem and then looks for a solution to each part of the problem.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2016-11-02 17:20:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Musk shows how it's done - with the Sun. :)

During a press event at Universal Studios in L.A., Elon Musk announces that Tesla will build and sell its own line of solar panels with integrated batteries. Coupled with the also unveiled PowerWall 2, it will allow residential homeowners to replace their entire roof with solar panels, making it much simpler for homes to be entirely powered by solar power.

This reminds me of the roofs that are all metal now rather than using shingles ... This is just another step into the energy self sufficiency of the home owner.

Unless you are building your own solar you are going to pay big money for a slow return on dollar.

Of course the video covers an Overview:
Why solar, which is to save the earth, to make life less expensive by lowering the cost of energy, but it comes at an up front bill....unless leasing and that has its own issues due to longevity of the panels due to climate and location.
PowerWall 2 introduction, is just the fully assembled system and what you can expect for avilable under idea conditions.
Solar roof introduction, is just the installation of the system of panels but what it does not take into account is a shingled roof which is the same as our current manufactured panels.

I was not able to get the video to run, so was there any hot water systems in his video Lious?

#3 2016-11-02 18:12:54

louis

Unless, I've completely misunderstood it, I think the whole point is they are intending to provide shingle roofs that are actually solar panels. So instead of bolting on PV panels, when you have a new roof constructed, you simply put in place these new PV panel tiles.  But they seem to have done a lot of works on the aesthetics - so these are attractive looking items, as good as existing roofs. I don't think there is any direct solar heating element but I think the roofs are supposed to be well insulated.

SpaceNut wrote:

During a press event at Universal Studios in L.A., Elon Musk announces that Tesla will build and sell its own line of solar panels with integrated batteries. Coupled with the also unveiled PowerWall 2, it will allow residential homeowners to replace their entire roof with solar panels, making it much simpler for homes to be entirely powered by solar power.

This reminds me of the roofs that are all metal now rather than using shingles ... This is just another step into the energy self sufficiency of the home owner.

Unless you are building your own solar you are going to pay big money for a slow return on dollar.

Of course the video covers an Overview:
Why solar, which is to save the earth, to make life less expensive by lowering the cost of energy, but it comes at an up front bill....unless leasing and that has its own issues due to longevity of the panels due to climate and location.
PowerWall 2 introduction, is just the fully assembled system and what you can expect for avilable under idea conditions.
Solar roof introduction, is just the installation of the system of panels but what it does not take into account is a shingled roof which is the same as our current manufactured panels.

I was not able to get the video to run, so was there any hot water systems in his video Lious?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2016-11-13 11:39:13

Void

It is interesting how the world can be changing.  First North American Shale Oil and Gas bring down the price of oil and gas, and now it really does appear that non petroleum energy will be growing.  So the worlds oil should last for centuries.

And North American countries are headed towards being some of the least CO2 polluting countries in the world.

It is going to be a different world.

I noticed this, which interested me:
http://www.sapeople.com/2016/10/30/sout … of-panels/
Quote:

Musk – who left South Africa at 17 for Canada, and now lives in America – said the goal is to have solar roofs that “look better than a normal roof, generate electricity, last longer, better insulation” and cost less than a normal roof plus electricity.
The tiles can also incorporate heating elements, like a rear defroster on a car, to clear a roof of snow and to keep generating energy.
Musk said: “This is sort of the integrated future. An electric car, a Powerwall and a solar roof.”
He said in the future everyone will replace their roofs with solar. “Why wouldn’t you?”

I live in a place where snow is often an issue, but with that treated, it is not a bad place for solar energy.

I am agreeing with you Louis.

Last edited by Void (2016-11-13 11:45:11)

Done.

Board footer