New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2016-10-30 15:32:16

TonyTMarsBeginner
Banned

Books

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books about Mars and the science that would be most applicable/useful for understanding Mars and Mars colonization etc. I was thinking that some sort of beginning physics but not sure where to start..

#2 2016-10-30 16:03:13

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Books

A couple years ago I published a list to Mars Society International » Amazon books - sponsor the Mars Society

Is there a specific topic? Do you want a shorter list? I would start with "The Case for Mars". That list is 2 years old, it has 2 editions: 1997 & 2011. Here is another book, originally published February 2013, this edition was published April of this year. Reviews are mixed, some people don't like the politics, and I haven't read it yet.
41Gbf2ivJJL._AC_US160_.jpg

Last edited by RobertDyck (2016-10-30 16:50:02)

#3 2016-10-30 17:13:43

RobertDyck
Website

Not sure where to post this, so I'll post here. Robert Zubrin briefly describes how to go to Mars. I think this is promo for the National Geographic program to air November 14. Click image for Nat-Geo web page with video. It's only 1 minute and 40 seconds. Graphics shown don't exactly match what Dr. Zubrin is saying.
2110958_zubrins-guide-to-colonizing-mars1_nznsksavwkellx6wgtdjilcbxrtoozzodsvnjnsmyanchkomgqza_207x116.jpg

Last edited by RobertDyck (2016-10-30 17:15:37)

#4 2016-10-30 21:15:27

TonyTMarsBeginner
Banned

RobertDyck wrote:

A couple years ago I published a list to Mars Society International » Amazon books - sponsor the Mars Society

Is there a specific topic? Do you want a shorter list? I would start with "The Case for Mars". That list is 2 years old, it has 2 editions: 1997 & 2011. Here is another book, originally published February 2013, this edition was published April of this year. Reviews are mixed, some people don't like the politics, and I haven't read it yet.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Gbf2ivJJL._AC_US160_.jpg

Thanks, this looks like a good list.

#5 2021-02-07 22:14:42

tahanson43206

Here is a question from a friend that seems to fit the "Books" topic reasonably well ...

This afternoon I finished reading Charles J. Murray's The Supermen: The Story of Seymour Cray and the Technical Wizards behind the Supercomputer.

Cray had the benefit of designing computers that customers would buy. I have a different model and am producing designs intended to be public assets. So it would be nice to read accounts of people who have succeeded in raising funds for technical ventures that do not offer a financial return to their backers.

With this in mind, have you read much about Wernher Von Braun, to the point where you would suggest a particular biography?

I will be happy to forward any comments or suggestions that members might have.

(th)

#6 2021-05-17 08:49:42

Mars_B4_Moon

Case for Mars by Robert Zubrin, Red Desert Point of No Return, Mission to Mars Buzz Aldrin, Kim Stanley Robinson RedMars, Heinlein Red Planet, Farewell Earth’s Bliss, Mars Ben Bova, Princess of Mars, H G Wells War of the Worlds. There are also some upcoming scifi from Asia, like the Chinese 2066 Red Star Over America or maybe called  America Under Mars- West Travel in 2066 I think it has Mars themes but I have not read it, Scifi in Asia is very hit or miss...there is also a Japan manga comicbook thing Terraformars made into a movie but its one of the most stupid films you could ever watch, power rangers mix with horror movie perverted gore and slasher film trash themes, its basically Explorer people vs Mars Monsters, Japan Astronauts vs these Hulk'ed up brown things, giant evolved cockroaches on Mars...possibly one of the most stupid films I have ever seen I even stopped watching half way through.

#7 2021-05-17 16:04:09

Calliban

The High Frontier, by Gérard O'Neil.  A great book written by a great man, sadly no longer with us.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#8 2024-01-04 11:30:15

Mars_B4_Moon

Outside of the 'science' you have that whole scifi genre

Hugo

Best Novel: Nettle & Bone, by T. Kingfisher (Tor Books)

Best Novella: Where the Drowned Girls Go, by Seanan McGuire (Tordotcom)

Best Novelette: “The Space-Time Painter,” by Hai Ya (Galaxy’s Edge, April 2022)

Best Short Story: “Rabbit Test,” by Samantha Mills (Uncanny Magazine, November-December 2022)

Best Series: Children of Time Series, by Adrian Tchaikovsky (Pan Macmillan/Orbit)

Best Graphic Story or Comic: Cyberpunk 2077: Big City Dreams, by Bartosz Sztybor, Filipe Andrade, Alessio Fioriniello, Roman Titov, Krzysztof Ostrowski (Dark Horse Books)

Best Related Work: Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes, by Rob Wilkins (Doubleday)

Lodestar Award for Best Young Adult Book (presented by the World Science Fiction Society): Akata Woman (The Nsibidi Scripts), by Nnedi Okorafor (Viking Books for Young Readers)

Astounding Award for Best New Writer (presented by Dell Magazines): Travis Baldree

https://lithub.com/here-are-the-winners … go-awards/

Nebula
https://scifi.radio/2023/05/15/58th-ann … e-winners/

The winners are as follows:

NEBULA AWARD FOR NOVEL

Babel, R.F. Kuang (Harper Voyager US; Harper Voyager UK)

NEBULA AWARD FOR NOVELLA

Even Though I Knew the End, C.L. Polk (Tordotcom)

NEBULA AWARD FOR NOVELETTE

If You Find Yourself Speaking to God, Address God with the Informal You, John Chu (Uncanny 7–8/22)

NEBULA AWARD FOR SHORT STORY

Rabbit Test, Samantha Mills (Uncanny 11–12/22)

THE ANDRE NORTON NEBULA AWARD FOR MIDDLE GRADE AND YOUNG ADULT FICTION

Ruby Finley vs. the Interstellar Invasion, K. Tempest Bradford (Farrar, Straus, Giroux)

THE RAY BRADBURY NEBULA AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING DRAMATIC PRESENTATION

Everything Everywhere All at Once, Dan Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (A24, AGBO, IAC Films)

NEBULA AWARD FOR GAME WRITING

Elden Ring, Hidetaka Miyazaki, George R.R. Martin (FromSoftware, Bandai Namco)

Additional awards and honors presented:

THE SFWA DAMON KNIGHT MEMORIAL GRAND MASTER AWARD

Robin McKinley

THE INFINITY AWARD

Octavia E. Butler (posthumous)

THE KATE WILHELM SOLSTICE AWARD

Cerece Rennie Murphy

Greg Bear (posthumous)

THE KEVIN J. O’DONNELL, JR. SERVICE TO SFWA AWARD

Not sure if good but

"A City on Mars" by Kelly and Zach Weinersmith
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/ … kow-anyone

A City on Mars: Can We Settle Space, Should We Settle Space, and Have We Really Thought This Through?
https://literaryreview.co.uk/red-planet-brown-trout
That’s the question posed by the authors of this book. Kelly Weinersmith provides the jokey, fact-filled text, while her husband, Zach, intersperses it with cartoon illustrations.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2024-01-04 11:31:00)

#9 2024-03-06 15:53:06

Mars_B4_Moon

not a book, however some person archives old magazines

The Luminist Archives a.k.a. READITFREE.ORG is a free, non-commercial project with the goal of preserving selected paper-based cultural artifacts for future generations of readers, in the form of cover images in JPG format, and, where available, complete cover-to-cover scans in PDF format.
https://readitfree.org/SF/AN_2.htm

and

Files for Analog Science Fiction and Fact
https://archive.org/download/PulpMags/A … nd%20Fact/

Board footer