New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-05-20 06:03:40

Palomar

Re: Nutraffin - Muffins for Astronauts

May 19

Students Design Space Muffin for Future Astronauts

AMES, Iowa (AP) -- Thinking of a muffin and cup of joe on your way to Mars?  Nutraffin, a spicy bite-sized muffin made from carrots, soy milk, peanut and wheat flour, is perfect for space travel.

A team of Oklahoma State University students designed the product to win a contest at the NASA Food Technology Commercial Space Center at Iowa State University.

“Nutraffin is an interesting product and has a great potential of future space flight,'' said Cheryll Reitmeier, the contest coordinator.

The muffin is high in fiber, protein and essential vitamins and minerals required by astronauts. It has a high calorie content that provides an energy boost and is low in sodium and iron.

The annual competition was established in 2001 to increase food science awareness, officials said. Food scientists from NASA and commercial food companies evaluate the student products.

The Oklahoma State team will present Nutraffin to NASA scientists this fall.  -- Associated Press

*Sounds yummy. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-05-21 09:54:24

C M Edwards

I believe we have the next space spinoff!  You couldn't ask for a better one.

(Needs a new name though - "Nutraffin" sounds too much like a diet product.)

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#3 2005-05-23 09:18:16

Cobra Commander

I think I'd rather take a big box of bite-size donuts.

If they can take a donut and fortify the crap out of it with nutrients they'd really be on to something.  :hm:

[insert drooling Homer Simpson emoticon]

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2005-05-23 09:22:18

Palomar

CME:  (Needs a new name though - "Nutraffin" sounds too much like a diet product.)

*Yeah, I agree.  It has carrots in it, so must have at least an orangish tinge.  Call 'em Mars Muffins. 

CC:  I think I'd rather take a big box of bite-size donuts.

If they can take a donut and fortify the crap out of it with nutrients they'd really be on to something.  :hm:

Powdered-sugar gems.  smile  Yep, those little donuts are fab.

--Cindy

P.S.:  Besides, a muffin without butter is like mashed potatoes without gravy.  Pass.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2005-05-26 04:06:41

Shaun Barrett

And this week's grand prize for truly, awesomely unrealistic fantasy goes toooooooo .....
CC:-

If they can take a donut and fortify the crap out of it with nutrients they'd really be on to something.

<screams, whistles, applause and wild cheering>  big_smile
    [Come on CC, you know perfectly well that any attempt to inject some form of nutritional value into a donut would absolutely crucify the bej**z*s out of its criminally glorious taste!!  Try to get a grip on reality, willya?!]

Cindy:-

Call 'em Mars Muffins.

Excellent suggestion!  :up:

And:-

Besides, a muffin without butter is like mashed potatoes without gravy.

Never a truer word spoken (or written). I love butter and I love mashed potato (especially with sweet potato mashed in with it <drrrooooollll> !!)
    And there are some meals which, if served without gravy, are simply an unmitigated travesty of the culinary arts ... meals including mashed potato being primary examples of such!  big_smile   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2005-05-26 05:00:23

Rxke

Problem with Mars Muffin is errr... a certain candy comany with a similar-sounding name, I'm afraid.
Or else they'd be coaxed to produce it... Problem solved.

Re: the butter... . Trust a Westerner (I didn't say American, Shaun wink ) to turn a healthy snack into a heart-hazard by simple way of drowning it in some fatty or sugary substance, heehee.

(serious note: all this health food stuff drives me nuts, if you do manual labour, have some exercise,... you need your fuel, All that healthy diet sh@t is nonsense, if you sit on your hands all day, you can't expect to miraculously turn health just by the stuff you eat.)

#7 2005-05-26 05:25:35

Palomar

Never a truer word spoken (or written). I love butter and I love mashed potato (especially with sweet potato mashed in with it <drrrooooollll> !!)

*Well one thing's for sure:  They didn't mention how the Nutraffin tastes...LOL.  Like sawdust?  Like nothing?  Or really tasty?  But that factor wasn't mentioned and so I'll presume it's one of the former and not the latter (even if I did say it sounds yummy in my first post...perhaps that was a bit premature!). 

Interesting you mention that, Shaun.  I've found a recipe for a Thanksgiving dish I'm going to try this year:  Mashed squash (acorn or butternut, can't recall which) mixed into mashed potato...add grated cheese (an Italian sort), then top with finely crushed Italian almond cookies and bake. 

Can't wait!  big_smile

I'd make it in advance, but it's a fussy dish and so will wait for the festive season.

Can we take THAT to Mars?  Teehee.

--Cindy

#8 2005-05-26 08:45:27

C M Edwards

CC:-

If they can take a donut and fortify the crap out of it with nutrients they'd really be on to something.

<screams, whistles, applause and wild cheering>  big_smile
    [Come on CC, you know perfectly well that any attempt to inject some form of nutritional value into a donut would absolutely crucify the bej**z*s out of its criminally glorious taste!!  Try to get a grip on reality, willya?!]

I don't know.  I was munching on some of my kid's multivitamins the other day (Should I be admitting this?  ??? ), and they tasted pretty good to me.  I wouldn't mind one of those on a donut.

They're completely synthetic - mostly sugar mixed with chalk.  A little extra lard and strawberry filling would leave none of that healthy aftertaste.

#9 2005-05-26 16:40:10

Shaun Barrett

CM:-

A little extra lard and strawberry filling would leave none of that healthy aftertaste.

:laugh:

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#10 2005-06-13 06:55:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

While Nutraffin muffins may not be that close to a staple food for long duration it does have its nutritional points.
But are you really Ready for dinner on Mars?

TT_pic00467_L.jpg

Perhaps 'Martian bread and green tomato jam', 'Spirulina gnocchis' and 'Potato and tomato mille-feuilles' .

But can we grow these types of plants?

#11 2005-06-13 07:35:33

C M Edwards

"Moreover, we had absolute restrictions on using salt, but were allowed to add a bit of sugar and fat, ingredients normally essential to the elaboration of a dish and to highlight its flavours."

Well, that could be trouble.  Recent evidence suggests that Mars has a lot more salt than sugar.  Perhaps sugar beets should be added to their list of ingredients?

#12 2005-06-17 05:16:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

We should have had a plain thread titled, What will be the Menu on the way to Mars?
Though boardly written as a what will cosmonauts eat on the way to Mars article.
Nobody doubts that man will some day fly to Mars, well at least those here.
The journey should take about 700 days, but no one knows when this will happen the presidents plan says sometime after 2030.

The nearest favorable "ballistic window" for the flight opens
in 2017-2018. From a technical standpoint it may be  necessary to build a spaceship and its engines of monsterous weight in the order for a single ship of 300-500 metric tons.

#13 2005-06-17 05:21:55

C M Edwards

.. and bring lots of nutraffins.

#14 2005-06-17 05:36:25

Palomar

*If you're eating breakfast or about to, don't read this.

...skips down...

I saw a photo of some "space food" at a web site last week, sort of similar to what SpaceNut posted.  Couldn't "lift" the image and didn't want to put in on my computer.  Anyway, it looked exactly like green grub worms floating on bright fresh blood.  -UGH-  Not appealing at all. 

Bright garish colors in food is NOT my thing.  It looked so unnatural.  :-\

--Cindy

#15 2005-06-20 09:21:13

CanalBuilder

I saw that pic too. Didn't see anything wrong with green pasta in a rich tomato source. You can check out the full article at http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMQTE1DU8E_in … dex_0.html

third star on the right and straight on til morning

#16 2005-06-20 09:26:35

Rxke

me neither. It looked ... fresh.

Do you prefer dead-cooked-greyish goo, maybe, Cindy?
Too bad for you the food-from-a-tube era in manned spaceflight is over, then...  tongue

#17 2005-06-20 10:23:44

Palomar

me neither. It looked ... fresh.

Do you prefer dead-cooked-greyish goo, maybe, Cindy?
Too bad for you the food-from-a-tube era in manned spaceflight is over, then...  tongue

*Nah, I just want something that looks like real food.  Not the "bright green grub worms floating on fresh red blood" look, nor those yellow, blue and green cubes on the original Star Trek.  A plate of those with a cup of coffee?  But come to think of it, they did have fresh celery aboard the Enterprise.  Yeoman Rand was carrying a plate to Capt. Kirk, salting (with a real salt shaker) the celery and munching on it.  Talk about taking your liberties.  :hm:  "Oh, Captain, you did originally have 5 stalks of celery on your plate, but I consumed two of them."  Of course I'm sure he always forgave her.  wink

Okay, back on topic.  tongue

--Cindy

#18 2005-06-20 11:51:42

Rxke

*Nah, I just want something that looks like real food.

Define real food.

Very tempted to do the stereotyping thing of Americans = hamburgers or T-steaks, but I won't... oh... Just did that  big_smile  :;):

#19 2005-06-20 12:38:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

nah just total junk food of nacho's. sweet snacks of most kind ect... nothing to healthy or good for you.

#20 2005-06-20 13:53:35

Palomar

*Nah, I just want something that looks like real food.

Define real food.

Very tempted to do the stereotyping thing of Americans = hamburgers or T-steaks, but I won't... oh... Just did that  big_smile  :;):

*Uh-oh.  I just had 1/3 of a Big Mac and a dozen french fries an hour ago.  :-\  Teehee. 

I'm referring to entree-like meals:  Lasagne with mixed vegetables; meat loaf with mashed potatoes; turkey and stuffing with cranberry sauce and cheese over broccoli tips.

That sort of thing. 

Recognizable fruits and vegetables (especially potatoes) at the very least. 

--Cindy

#21 2016-05-12 17:14:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed shifting and artifacts...

Bumping topic as we are talking about not only what can we grow but can we make from it....
Was searching for the key word Celery and ya this topic was it besides the one for crop growing....

Board footer