New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2016-05-09 11:39:29

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

What's wrong with this ad?

1523f1f400ad16a5c08540ca002fa1cf
https://www.yahoo.com/style/science-buf … 09417.html
Someone at The Gap made a pretty silly science error, and they are seriously paying for it on social media.

To honor its heritage — the San Francisco-based brand was founded in 1969 — the popular clothing company launched an ad campaign featuring pieces from its denim-focused collection next to random things superimposed with the numeral “1969.” For instance, you would assume that one in the series featuring a rocket launch references the 1969 Apollo 11 space mission, right? Wrong.

That is what happens when you have a bunch of Millennials running an ad campaign for the GAP. Maybe they were still in high school after the last shuttle was launched, and they didn't pay much attention, so the Apollo 11 and the First Shuttle Launch were both "in the past" way before they were born anyway. These people apply equal weight between the first Moon Landing and Woodstock, makes no difference to them.

Last edited by Tom Kalbfus (2016-05-09 12:00:38)

#2 2016-05-09 13:48:52

GW Johnson
Website

Re: What's wrong with this ad?

Well,  the millennials aren't the only ones who don't pay attention to facts.  I just watched "The Right Stuff" again on Netflix.  That was made by space enthusiasts from decades prior to the millennials.  I saw footage from finned rockets (either Redstone or Little Joe) used to represent the view from the original Atlas,  and I saw the Gemini capsule splashdown footage used to represent Mercury,  more than once.  Gemini splashed down on its side,  Mercury did not.  I guess the thinking was that the public wouldn't know the difference or care. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#3 2016-05-11 13:10:56

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Re: What's wrong with this ad?

GW Johnson wrote:

Well,  the millennials aren't the only ones who don't pay attention to facts.  I just watched "The Right Stuff" again on Netflix.  That was made by space enthusiasts from decades prior to the millennials.  I saw footage from finned rockets (either Redstone or Little Joe) used to represent the view from the original Atlas,  and I saw the Gemini capsule splashdown footage used to represent Mercury,  more than once.  Gemini splashed down on its side,  Mercury did not.  I guess the thinking was that the public wouldn't know the difference or care. 

GW

Remember the opening scene to Buck Rogers in the 25th Century?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINijYepahA

The show a Saturn V rocket, and somehow they stick a mini-shuttle under its nose cone.

Board footer