New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-24 11:03:58

Palomar

Re: James Lovell's Autograph - ...[& others @ farthestreaches.com]

http://www.farthestreaches.com]Click

*Can purchase autographed photos, magazines, cards, etc., of U.S. and Russian astronauts/cosmonauts.  Other good stuff in here too.  A bit on the pricey side, but I might part with a few $$ to get one of Lovell's sigs.

[I think astronautalicious James Lovell should send me a free autograph for being a fan of his!]  :laugh:

v_lovell_bio_03.jpg

g7lovell-k.jpg

http://www.legendsofairpower.com/biogra … ings.jpg]@ Apollo 13 hearings

http://www.geo.swt.edu/lovell/images/Lovells.gif]James & Marilyn Lovell [he's still got it!]

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-04-29 07:20:27

Palomar

*James Lovell was in El Paso yesterday!  big_smile  Apparently speaking to the local Kiwanis group.  I'd just walked out of the living room when I heard my husband say, "Jim Lovell."  Sure enough, a small-segment interview with him on KVIA.

If Mundaka reads this, did you catch the news as well?

I'll bet he's a guest in the home of Frank Borman last evening -- here, in Las Cruces.  smile  They (and Bill Anders) were Apollo 8.

http://www.borderlandnews.com/stories/b … tml]Lovell in El Paso

Unfortunately, goings-on in this region aren't announced properly; I didn't know Lovell was coming to this area. 

--Cindy

::EDIT::  "West Side resident Kerry Jackson, 47, said he didn't know the danger the Apollo 13 crew faced when he was a boy."

*Huh?  And this Kerry Jackson is 9 years older than me?  I remember the incident (almost 5 years old), asking my father about it, watching news segments, and I remember my sister and I including the astronauts in our bedtime prayers during the crisis.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2004-04-29 07:45:48

Shaun Barrett

Looks like your prayers did the trick, Cindy!   :up:

But, you know, I've looked really hard at the pictures of Jim Lovell you posted, and I just don't find him attractive at all ... !  (Nice fella though I'm sure he is.)
                                             tongue   big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2004-04-29 16:17:50

Palomar

Looks like your prayers did the trick, Cindy!   :up:

But, you know, I've looked really hard at the pictures of Jim Lovell you posted, and I just don't find him attractive at all ... !  (Nice fella though I'm sure he is.)
                                             tongue   big_smile

*Shaun, I'm sure your wife would be relieved to know you don't find Lovell attractive (and come to think of it, I sort of am as well).   :laugh:

I've seen lots of pics of Lovell.  He reminds me -- in his younger years -- of Kevin Costner (who, ironically, -isn't- a Hollywood favorite of mine).  Anyway...

There's just something about that man that is MMMm-mmmMM!!  ::teehee:: 

--Cindy  cool

#5 2015-11-25 19:24:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed another artifact and shifting topic
Both of these major contributors have not been back for a very long time and are quite missed...

Board footer