New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-06-17 09:10:03

Palomar

Re: The Pro-Nuclear Space Movement. - Nuclear Power for Space.

I've just now seen an article entitled "Nasa gives go-ahead for nuclear mission to outer planets" at Yahoo! News (Full Coverage -- Science).  The source of the article is "The Independent," UK, Jun 14, 2003.  Unfortunately, clicking on the link returns this message:  "We're sorry, but you've requested a page we can't supply at present..."

I'm wondering if anyone has similar info which the link now cannot provide?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-06-17 12:36:15

clark

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2983100.stm

The US space agency (Nasa) has issued the first contracts to develop a new generation of space craft to explore deep space that will herald a revolution in the exploration of the outer Solar System.

Hey Bill, did I win yet?  big_smile

Josh, you're next.....  :angry:   :laugh:

#3 2003-06-17 12:58:34

Bill White

Compare the bbc quote:

As part of the newly established Project Prometheus, the aerospace company Lockheed Martin has been given a $6m (?4m) contract for a design study of the proposed Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter (Jimo).

With the Nuclear Space quote:

President's Budget proposes $279 million; ($3 billion over five years) for Project Prometheus.
The President's Budget invests in three technology areas that hold significant promise in overcoming the limitations of robotic- and human-led research in space.  These technologies are critical to improving the efficiency and scientific return of space missions.

Lets see: A $6 million contract versus a $3 billion commitment. I say you are now closer to winning yet I may need to see something more before crying "Uncle!"

#4 2003-06-17 13:00:41

clark

Fair enough.

As always, I defer to your determination.   big_smile

#5 2003-06-17 13:05:58

Bill White

This may well be enough for me to pay up. I am just not sure yet with the evidence limited to a single "lets study this" contract.

Did you find this conference?

I may yet time find to attend one conference this summer. Mars Society may be the most cool, yet this one looks intersting as well.

#6 2003-06-17 13:48:48

clark

Of course, one study certainly isn't enough.

However, I have seen a few other reports that kind of make me optimistic...

That confrence looks interesting too, thank you. Looks like my Moon Base thread will get some more ammo fairly soon.

#7 2003-06-18 23:01:22

Josh Cryer

Cindy, my main gripe with all this technology is that it's basically probe-related. If they want man-based nuclear technology, they'd be working on Mini-Mag Orian or similar.

And clark, not the least bit worried. smile  cool

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#8 2003-06-29 07:01:11

Shaun Barrett

NuclearSpace writes:-

All we need is a big asteroid to head this way!  :laugh:

Does the admonishment "Don't tempt the gods" mean anything to you?!!  Keep your voice down, will ya!
                                   sad

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#9 2003-07-03 19:18:09

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

nuke space, I am in total agreement with you, other than the orion style rocket plan.  I believe NTR is a better choice simply because the techology is on the shelf (its been there for 30+ yrs) and it been done.  I do hold your thoughts about public activism and logical reasoning to be true.  I commend you for that.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#10 2015-11-23 22:58:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed shifting and artifacts all but the admin's post.

If I recall the proposed Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter (Jimo) was a very large ship design for a reactor and not just RTG form for power.

I also think that this mission was later re-statused and changed...

Board footer