New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-02-05 11:45:09

Palomar

Re: collectspace.com - The Source for Space History & Artifacts

[=http://collectspace.com/]Click Me

*Includes News, Resources, Sightings (appearances by astronauts in your area).  Also a marketplace for buying memorabilia, message area, private signings, etc., etc.!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-04-30 07:23:39

Palomar

*Major Mike Adams.

I'm posting this here because of the reference to collectspace.com (can follow the ceremony on May 8, obtain info for visiting the monument, etc.):

I didn't know this man was the U.S.A.'s first space flight casuality (perhaps I forgot).  Well, it's high time these honors were paid to him.

Copying and pasting the article, as Astronotes [space.com] are in column/updated format:

April 30

Monument for First U.S. Space Flight Casuality

On May 8, a two-ton concrete and Inconel X monument will be erected in the Mojave Desert, California, to mark where the United States lost its first astronaut during a space flight.

Maj. Mike Adams was posthumously awarded his USAF astronaut wings for reaching an altitude of over 50 miles during a sub-orbital mission that would become his final flight of the X-15. On November 15, 1967, as Adams flew the X-15 for his seventh time, the experimental rocket plane entered into a hypersonic spin and though he briefly recovered, the high G forces overloaded the ship's control systems and Maj. Adams and the X-15 met their end during reentry.

The memorial to Maj. Adams, championed by Eagle Scout candidate John Bodylski and aerospace historian Maj. Greg Frazier (of XB-70.com), won the approval of the Bureau of Land Management to be erected in the remote desert location where Adams' X-15 came to rest.

The May 8, ceremony to unveil the monument is open to all who desire to attend. Members of Adams' family and several of his fellow astronauts are expected to be present.

For details on visiting Maj. Adams' monument, and pictures from the May 8 ceremony afterwards, see collectSPACE.com.

--Cindy

P.S.:  A pic of him is included at space.com.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-04-30 07:41:44

Shaun Barrett

I agree, Cindy.
    The honour is richly deserved and not before time. I don't know whether people really appreciate how brave the early pioneers were; it took a lot of guts to do what they did.
                                                    :up:

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2015-11-23 20:24:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed topics artifacts from previous version conversions...

news-111915a-bezos-f1-engines-seattle.html

Amazon CEO delivers Apollo history:The Museum of Flight in Seattle took delivery on Thursday (Nov. 19) of the recovered remains of F-1 rocket engines used to launch NASA's Apollo 12 and Apollo 16 moon missions. The Saturn V artifacts, which were found and raised off the sea floor by Bezos Expeditions in 2013, were conserved by the Cosmosphere in Kansas before being donated for display.

wow talk about teasure

Board footer