New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2015-03-07 15:39:55

Void

Emulation of Earth life form methods to achieve value added purposes.

Quoted from "
    Index
    » Human missions
    » SLS Rocket + Orion + Apollo LEM
".

#83 Today 17:39:17

GW Johnson
    Website

Re: SLS Rocket + Orion + Apollo LEM

Responding to Spacenut in #82:

Want a small "shipyard" we could build almost right now?  Take a look at what I posted in the article "On-Orbit Repair and Assembly Facility" dated 2-11-14,  located at my blog http://exrocketman.blogspot.com.  This includes an unpressurized but thermally-stabilized and well-lit work bay,  and very supple MCP suits to eable the necessary dexterity.  I intended it for LEO,  but it would work for this L1 refurbishment application.  You only man it and use it when you need it.  In point of fact,  I would now put one on any Mars mission orbit-to-orbit transport design,  as a part of avoiding the costs of a dead crew.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (Today 17:40:07)

Last edited by Void (2015-03-07 15:43:14)

Done.

#2 2015-03-07 15:43:42

Void

Re: Emulation of Earth life form methods to achieve value added purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matryoshka_doll

Layers.

Don't not use layers, and different sized volumes.

Last edited by Void (2015-03-07 15:44:38)

Done.

#3 2015-03-07 15:51:49

Void

Re: Emulation of Earth life form methods to achieve value added purposes.

What GW offers makes sense, as long as you have a significant wealth generating method associated with it.

Shells methods. GW mentions a microgravity garage.

Typically most people think of making one single shell, or shells bonded to each other in close proximity, to define the difference between the hostile environments of space and the places where you will shelter humans and sensitive machines.  I think different that that as well.

For a small world I am thinking of a metal shell.  It is humorous.  Old time space art as a joke might have suggested an umbrella to protect people in spacesuits on the Moon.  They were not that far off.  Think horseshoe crab.  It climbs out of the ocean onto the shore at times.

On the Moon or a smaller world, such a shell with mobility legs below it offer some chances at achieving protection of humans, mobility, and achieving a purpose.

Done.

Board footer