New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2014-01-17 06:57:42

Void

You need apes on Mars.

http://www.space.com/24274-robosimian-f … video.html

Bipedial locomotion is over rated.  Really you don't have to not be eaten by lions, and you don't have to chase down antelope on Mars, so actually, I think robots like apes are the idea.

I put it in this section, because such robots would substitute at times for humans in space suits, and space suits are being discussed in parallel.

I guess for my part, if I were to take over, I would have a solar powered cart the ape could ride on, with lots of solar panels, and batteries, and a rather long power cable.

That way the "Ape" would have lots of power, and could move around locally to perform work, and could hop on the cart for a joy ride to another location.

Last edited by Void (2014-01-17 07:09:58)

Done.

Board footer