New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2013-06-12 09:10:43

Rusakov
Banned

A potential solution to the rentry problem?

I found this piece of news today.

Magnetoshell

Magnetoshell doesn’t deflect gas like an aeroshell or plasma like a magnetic decelerator. It captures the hypersonic neutral gas through collisional processes. The momentum of the charge-exchanged gas is absorbed by the magnetic structure.

Considering that there are some potential problems with decelerating something with the mass needed to sustain human life on Mars, this could be a needed breakthrough.

SWAT Kats fanatic

#2 2013-06-17 21:57:51

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: A potential solution to the rentry problem?

This seems like a good technology, not just for Mars, but also for Earth.  I hope it gets the funding to be used in the near future!

-Josh

#3 2013-06-18 08:54:27

Russel
Banned

From the article it is claimed..

Mars Scaling

• Martian deceleration is excellent
• At 120 km
• Drag force of 1 kN
• Effective drag radius of 15 meters with 1 meter antenna

Now a drag force of 1KN at 120Km altitude with an effective drag radius of 15 metres doesn't feel right to me.

From one of the comments in the same article, at that altitude the Martian atmosphere is 1.28e-8 Kg/m3

If you're travelling at (say) 6Km/s at that point a circle of 17x2=34m diameter traverses 8 grams of atmosphere per second.

Even if all that mass were immediately changed in velocity by 6Km/s that's a force of 49 Newtons.

Not insignificant, but about what I'd expect from a really really big parachute.

If its useful it has to require minimal power (meaning minimal mass power source) and has to outperform equivalent sources of drag such as simply trailing a heat resistant ballute.

Still.. interesting.

#4 2013-06-18 12:25:49

JoshNH4H
Website

Much more information available here

Interesting concept, but you raise cogent points.  There's no way it's acting as a mirror, right, reflecting particles several times faster than they impact?

-Josh

Board footer