New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2013-03-14 07:03:42

cIclops

Curiosity team find ancient habitable environment

NASA Rover Finds Conditions Once Suited for Ancient Life on Mars

March 12, 2013

PASADENA, Calif. -- An analysis of a rock sample collected by NASA's Curiosity rover shows ancient Mars could have supported living microbes.

Scientists identified sulfur, nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and carbon -- some of the key chemical ingredients for life -- in the powder Curiosity drilled out of a sedimentary rock near an ancient stream bed in Gale Crater on the Red Planet last month.

"A fundamental question for this mission is whether Mars could have supported a habitable environment," said Michael Meyer, lead scientist for NASA's Mars Exploration Program at the agency's headquarters in Washington. "From what we know now, the answer is yes."

News conference video (70 mins)

Last edited by cIclops (2013-03-14 23:09:02)

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#2 2013-03-31 16:08:40

Vincent
Banned

Re: Curiosity team find ancient habitable environment

Yea man, we all knew, like this is a concretion......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11627092@N06/2448374337/

Argument expected.
I don't require agreement when presenting new ideas.

-Dana Johnson

#3 2013-03-31 16:10:38

Vincent
Banned

Argument expected.
I don't require agreement when presenting new ideas.

-Dana Johnson

#4 2013-03-31 16:25:51

GW Johnson
Website

I think the evidence so far suggests that there at least once was life on Mars.  No proof yet,  but rather conclusive. 

Life here is so tenacious,  one cannot help thinking that there somewhere is still life on Mars.  There is no proof.  Yet.  Give it time.

My expectation is that it will be found to be very distantly-related to life on Earth,  once found at all.  Common origin,  but eons of isolation. 

I think we'll find life elsewhere in the Solar System,  as well.  Same very distant common origin. 

We may also find some truly alien stuff that we eventually decide is life.  Not a common origin,  but a common birthplace:  the Solar System.  It'll be difficult to recognize.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

Board footer