New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2013-03-17 16:59:53

louis

Space X - first 11 years

Interestingly Space X's little "First 11 Years" video end with a landing on Mars. I am convinced the primary purpose of Space X for Musk is to blaze a train to Mars.

http://www.spacex.com/updates.php

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2013-03-18 06:22:39

Terraformer
Website

Re: Space X - first 11 years

Well, since that's pretty much what he's been saying... I heard that SpaceX was founded because Musk wanted to put a greenhouse on Mars and wasn't satisfied by the quoted costs...?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#3 2013-03-18 15:36:06

louis

Terraformer wrote:

Well, since that's pretty much what he's been saying... I heard that SpaceX was founded because Musk wanted to put a greenhouse on Mars and wasn't satisfied by the quoted costs...?

True, but it's amazing how few commentators in the general media wish to focus on this. It's partly because, more often than not,  Musk concentrates on the launch business.   I am simply putting forward the thesis that a hell of a lot of Mars planning is going on behind the scene and will be seen to come to fruition over the next 3 to 4 years I think.

#4 2013-03-18 19:08:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

We can see the stepped progress on going from the falcon to the falcon* all the way to the heavy verson of this rockets designs but it is not until you put with it the SpaceX's Grasshopper reusable rocket that you begin to wonder where he is going with all of this....This to me is a mars return vehicle....

#5 2013-03-18 22:45:26

Void

I like his attitude, where he is not certain that it can be done economicaly, that is returning the hardware intact for reuse, but he is going to work on it, and is not afraid if they create a few craters along the way. 

That's not the typical process involved some other efforts where they dip their toes in the water and if it is a little cold, they just go home and watch T.V.

I think he will pull it off actually.  It is the attitude.

Done.

#6 2013-03-19 15:13:54

louis

SpaceNut wrote:

We can see the stepped progress on going from the falcon to the falcon* all the way to the heavy verson of this rockets designs but it is not until you put with it the SpaceX's Grasshopper reusable rocket that you begin to wonder where he is going with all of this....This to me is a mars return vehicle....

I agree - that was my thought when I saw it.

#7 2013-03-21 17:01:51

Void

Merlin 1D

I am not a motor head, and these specs don't entirely make me understand the relative improvement, but I am glad they cite an improvement.  The margins of being able to do it at all being so small, it has to be a significant advantage, and I am all for it of course.

http://www.space.com/20327-spacex-priva … ready.html

"The Merlin 1D has a vacuum thrust-to-weight ratio exceeding 150, the best of any liquid rocket engine in history," SpaceX officials wrote in a press release Wednesday. "This enhanced design makes the Merlin 1D the most efficient booster engine ever built, while still maintaining the structural and thermal safety margins needed to carry astronauts."

The Merlin 1D already powers SpaceX's Grasshopper rocket, an experimental booster that the company hopes will pave the way for a fully reusable launch system. Earlier this month, the Grasshopper lifted off on its fourth test flight, rising 263 feet (80 meters) into the Texas skies before returning to Earth and making a soft landing.

Done.

#8 2013-03-22 13:50:55

louis

I just heard a news report report on British TV indicating that Sir Richard Branson "dreams of colonising Mars".  That's the first time I've heard that. Perhaps they have confused him with Elon Musk. Alternatively, and it would be good news, perhaps he has become an enthusiast for Mars colonisation...perhaps he is in discussion with Musk on how to co-operate.

#9 2013-03-22 14:21:06

Void

Lewis said:

I just heard a news report report on British TV indicating that Sir Richard Branson "dreams of colonising Mars".  That's the first time I've heard that. Perhaps they have confused him with Elon Musk. Alternatively, and it would be good news, perhaps he has become an enthusiast for Mars colonisation...perhaps he is in discussion with Musk on how to co-operate.

A collection of diverse players would be good.  Not a single organiztion, but contributors in coordination I think.

A single organization is subject to types who then harness the force for their own ego agenda and careers.

On another subject.  Grasshopper is a prototype for a hoped for re-usable booster system.

I am wondering if such were sized for use on Mars, if that size might approximate what would also work on Earth, provided a air breathing booster system were added to it.

Previously some time ago that there was an effort to create a electo-magnetic linear engine to boost rockets to 1000 MPH.

Of course the liability is that the acceleration is too fast for humans, and also the booster size would be limited.

However, I am wondering why a jet pack in the form of a circular surround for a booster like grasshopper could not assist it up the first 10,000 to 30,000 feet?

I am thinking the "Jet Pack" might have 6 jet engines for verticle lift off, and that the Jet pack would be composed of 2 semicircles that are joined around the grasshopper, with 3 engines in each.  Once the "Jet Pack" was done with it's task, it would do a horrizontal landing.

This way the total "Boost" to orbit of a payload would be partially air breathing, and so strongly reducing the percentage of the whole launch package that would be Oxydizer.

Does this make sense?

Another thought was that if the Grasshopper had an engine problem while assending through the trophosphere, it's engines could be shut down, and perhaps the jet pack would be powerfull enough to allow a non-crashing abort to ground.

Last edited by Void (2013-03-22 14:24:14)

Done.

#10 2013-03-30 22:50:01

sanman
Banned

I really hope they blaze a trail to Mars (but not blaze a train, since that would be a waste of hardware)

I read that Musk says they plan their first reusable landing on land in 2014 next year - holy smokes!
Once they cross that threshold, the pace of space flights could drastically increase. Even Musk himself has said so.

That would likewise mean the pace of technological advancement will similarly increase. We're on the cusp of a whole new technological evolutionary curve. If that video is how good SpaceX's first 11 years have been, I'm dying to see what the next 11 years will bring from them.

#11 2013-04-12 09:19:59

clark

Visiting spacex in a couple weeks. will say hi.

#12 2022-08-28 09:07:42

Mars_B4_Moon

SpaceX Starship Gets its First Commercial Customer

https://rumble.com/v1gl3bp-spacex-stars … tomer.html

but he also goes into politics with economic prep stuff

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-08-28 09:10:54)

Board footer