New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2012-07-02 23:50:12

Adaptation

Get this amazing deal for a limited time only.

Space Suits Space Suits Space Suits
How many times have you been in your space suit and been unable to clear your nose or reach a tool by your feet. 
For a limited time only through this exclusive kick starter offer you can get your very own third generation FFD space suit.
  (life support systems not included)
You would expect to pay millions for those large bulky suites offered by government agencies. 
So how much are they?  $2,000,000?  NO!,  $500,000?  NO!, $100,000? NO!
For this amazing introductory offer you can have your very own space suit for just three easy payments of $3,333. 

But that's not all!  Act now and you'll receive a Hand painted, suited plaster cast Figurine in a launch cradle, a T-Shirt - FFD logo on the front left chest, Diagram of our 3G Suit on the back, an iron on patch  and a postcard with new 3G suit diagram!

Don't delay this offer expires JUL 15, 4:48PM EDT

Some ITAR restrictions may apply. 

But seriously buy a tee shirt or if you can afford it you can get pants that prevent you from passing out when your in a fighter plane for just $550.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872 … space-suit

#2 2012-07-03 08:05:32

RGClark
Website

Re: Get this amazing deal for a limited time only.

How is this better than the usual suit? It is not for EVA but just when you are sitting inside the space ship like the suits astronauts wear during shuttle launch.
A low cost, lightweight, flexible EVA suit would really be something to look forward to.

Bob Clark

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

#3 2012-07-04 09:47:03

GW Johnson
Website

A mechanical counterpressure rig looks even better.  MIT is working on one for NASA,  but it's not ready yet.  Dr. Paul Webb had a working prototype of one back in 1969,  though. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#4 2012-07-04 10:23:14

Adaptation

These are the guys working on mcp suits, they won the nasa glove challenge with a mcp design.

#5 2012-07-04 13:04:35

GW Johnson
Website

The photo in the link was a gas balloon suit,  not an MCP suit. 

BTW,  hi!!  I haven't seen you in print here since before the great crash.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#6 2012-07-10 13:06:33

Adaptation

Hey GW, I come around every once in a while but between work and projects life has gotten busy; I would rather be doing things then talking about doing them.  Yeah these ones aren't full MCP, I think the gloves are but that's it.  They are trying to develop a product to be used inside a vehicle during assent and reentry.  There will probably be a market for these suits when SpaceX starts hauling people regularly.  With this type of application you want to be able to comfortably use the suit in a depressurized state for a long period of time.  These will probably only be pressurized above the cabin pressure in the event of an emergency.  I would suspect that wearing a MCP inside a vehicle with the helmet not pressurized would be unconformable and could cause difficulty breathing because your body would always be pressurized higher than the environment around you.  I suppose you could use automated constricting devices but that adds complexity and cost. 

When they and the market get around to EVA suits I'm sure MCP will be high on the list of options.

#7 2012-07-12 08:40:45

GW Johnson
Website

Adaptation:

Boy,  I hope so!  MCP is definitely the way to go for EVA. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

Board footer