New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2003-01-29 14:22:06

TJohn
Banned

Re: NASA eyes nuclear-powered rocket

This is what was said:  In his State of the Union Address, President Bush announced a $1.2 billion Freedom Fuel initiative to reverse America?s growing dependence on foreign oil by developing the technology needed for commercially viable hydrogen-powered fuel cells ? a way to power cars, trucks, homes and businesses that produces no pollution and no greenhouse gases. The Freedom Fuel initiative will include $720 million in new funding over the next five years to develop the technologies and infrastructure needed to produce, store, and distribute hydrogen fuel for use in fuel cell vehicles and electricity generation.

This was pretty interesting.  Imagine a car that produces water instead of carbon monoxide? 

GOM: I haven't heard anyone else comment on that point.

I haven't heard much about it either which I assumed.  Makes me wonder if the same would have happened if he did mention Prometheus.

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#77 2003-01-29 14:31:45

soph

Re: NASA eyes nuclear-powered rocket

He said it takes simple chemicals and combines them to power cars, making water.  he said that a child born today might run on a car that is completely clean and runs on hydrogen.

i dont have the exact words in front of me though-but he comitted 1.2 billion to it.

Board footer