New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2012-02-19 14:23:24

Terraformer
Website

Space and Terran life support commonality and Open Source

For obvious reasons, developing an industrial seed that masses in at a few tonnes and can be used to grow an industrial base has applications to both Space-side and Terra-side situations. I believe we will find this in a lot of cases, that techniques developed for use Terra-side will see applications Space-side and vice versa, for example 3d printing. That said, I think it would be a good idea for space advocates to assist in developing such technologies, most likely along the Open Source model (such as Open Source ecology). Here's something that we can do that has practical, immediate benefits here on this planet as well as moving the space dream forward towards reality. Let's do this.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#2 2012-02-19 17:41:35

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: Space and Terran life support commonality and Open Source

That sounds like a good idea in principle... I'm just not exactly sure how it would work, especially given how much things can vary based on situation.  Just as an example, a LEO colony is going to survive on trade in all likelihood while a planetside colony will probably be the place where materials etc. are actually mined.  Also, the absence vs. presence of gravity will make a big difference to the individual components of this industrial seed.

-Josh

#3 2012-02-20 01:18:32

Terraformer
Website

Eh? When I said space-side I was talking about planet-side colonies that aren't on Terra...

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#4 2012-02-20 02:26:07

JoshNH4H
Website

I know.  But trading outposts in LEO are space-side too, and they would have to be built using ab entirely different set of precursors.  Likewise, an    asteroid, be it a NEO or in the main belt will bee different from the planet Mars (further, of course, different types will be different from each other).

I'm sure there will be a lot of commonality in terms of technology.  But a really good design will result in a suite of solutions to each technical problem, with different ones suited to different environments.

-Josh

#5 2012-02-20 06:02:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think this entire web site is an open source method as we are talking about how to solve the issues going from sortie to permanent settlement into a colony phase regardless to location.

Board footer