New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-06-01 11:08:54

dicktice

Re: Paraphrasing Xenomorph's prSolar System Government - Interplanetary politics

Re. "Galactic Government" which would seem to be a physical impossibility, as far into the future as humans, recognizable as human, may endure ... how about limiting the volume of space to be governed to the Solar System only? Thus--to paraphrase the preface by Xenomorph:

... let's say in the future humans have colonized a great many planets and satellites, within the Solar System. What kind of government system should be set up to link them all together?  It most definitely should not be anything overbearing [or] tyrannical, but it should also be strong enough to link humans, so that humanity doesn't drift apart.  How do you think this should and could be handled?

#2 2005-06-01 11:12:09

Palomar

Re: Paraphrasing Xenomorph's prSolar System Government - Interplanetary politics

What kind of government system should be set up to link them all together?  It most definitely should not be anything overbearing [or] tyrannical, but it should also be strong enough to link humans, so that humanity doesn't drift apart.

*Why not let them drift apart?  Maybe it would be best in the long-run? 

Birds don't stay in the nest. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2005-06-01 11:19:31

dicktice

Bless you, Cindy, for picking up on this. The next two centuries should provide enough time to make some kind of governing necessary, if only to counter the inevitable space pirates.

#4 2005-06-01 13:31:47

Cobra Commander

Governing across the Soalr system could easily follow some variation of the old "Imperial" model, wherein local officials wield authority in accordance with general directives from the capitol. With one major difference, communications will be faster. From both a practical and cultural perspective this could actually make governing far-flung territories easier. Possibly enough to roughly cancel out the pressure toward divergence imposed by the radically different enviroment.

On such a relatively small scale, cosmologically speaking, frontier outposts won't be as isolated in some ways as their past counterparts. Earth may not be able to send to ships to Ganymede very fast, but if the local governor has ships and a communications array it's almost as good.

Assuming we want to maintain some cohesion. A spacefaring free-for-all has advantages as well, though it could get a little messy and depends on the vision we want to pursue.

Were it my call the US would follow roughly the "imperial" model in partnership with Britain and Australia as a common language and cultural background makes these things so much easier.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#5 2008-03-16 14:34:11

Rake
Banned

well its hard to see how we can maintain a strong goverment to be honest.
and as a biologist i think the best option was already suggested by someone here earlier-

*Why not let them drift apart? Maybe it would be best in the long-run?

--Cindy

evolution is the most powerful tool we got- lets use it.

warm regards from-
Rake- newbie mars enthusiast  wink
representing birds in the outer space:
http://www.greyforums.net
http://www.pigeons.biz

Rake the Headmaster of-
parrots: [url]http://www.greyforums.net[/url]
pigeons: [url]http://www.pigeons.biz[/url]

#6 2008-05-09 09:25:45

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

What kind of government system should be set up to link them all together?  It most definitely should not be anything overbearing [or] tyrannical, but it should also be strong enough to link humans, so that humanity doesn't drift apart. 

*Why not let them drift apart?  Maybe it would be best in the long-run? 

--Cindy

A unified Solar System is in its most stable state, there is no power vacuum, and if the Solar System is not unified, there are certainly some who would seek to unify it by force and through war. Currently there is no one to fight right now, so it should be easier to plan for a unified Solar Government right now that it would be to wait for many nations to exist out there and to have interplanetary war as some nations seek to enlarge themselves at others expense.

If someone wants independence, he should go to another star system, and the Solar Government should facilitate the effort. I hope to end warfare, by not leaving potentials to fuel the would be emperor's ambition. If people want power, they should follow the rules for gaining that power, namely by getting elected and serving their consituents, there should be no opportunities for ambitions men and women to overthrow the system and create despotic regimes that serve only themselves. With the resources of a whole Solar System under the control of a Democratic government, there is very little an outsider can do to conquer it, especially assuming rough technological parity between humans in the Solar System and humans in other nearby star systems. You can only control one system at a time, that's the beauty of the light speed limitation.

#7 2008-05-09 13:39:13

Terraformer
Website

Ah, that's what you intend to do with those wishing to seceded. Make them leave the home system.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#8 2008-05-13 08:54:56

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Ah, that's what you intend to do with those wishing to seceded. Make them leave the home system.

Well right now If I wanted to establish my own country, I'd have to leave the United States.

I can't draw international borders around my house and property and declare the state of Kalbfus and expect the United States Federal Government to respect my independence with its territory.

I can't expect to establish a Kalbfus Embassy in Washington DC, and at the United Nations and expect diplomatic recognition from the United States or most nations of the World for that matter.

However if a volcano were to poke itself out of International Waters forming an island that no previous nation has claimed, I could stick my flag in it and claim it as the independent Nation of "Kalbfus". I see no such opportunities at present.

I think that within a Solar Society, if someone in it were to wish to establish another nation, he'd have to find another star system, because the Solar Federal Republic would have something to say about someone carving off a piece of its territory and declaring independence.

It is really very simply if you think about it. You want an independent nation, then find an asteroid or comet, boost it to escape velocity from the Solar System, and once it has exceeded the limit of government control of that system, you have achieved your independence because no Solar Goverment can control you beyond a certain distance due to the limits of light speed communication.

#9 2008-05-16 12:27:30

Terraformer
Website

It's a lot easier to leave a country than a solar system.

The outer edge of the Kuiper belt should be the limit. Far enough to make it impossible to fight, close enough to have some communication.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#10 2008-05-19 08:57:02

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

A more definite border might be a light day's radius around the Sun. The Solar Republic might want to monitor the Outer Solar System though for the possibility of redirected comets being used as weapons.

#11 2008-05-24 07:07:05

Terraformer
Website

I'm pretty sure the Kuiper belt's further away than 1ld.

#12 2008-05-25 14:29:51

JoshNH4H
Website

I think this SFR you sugest will be exceedingly weak.  Maybe make it only a regualtory agency, with the right to tax to exactly measure last years expenses, and only the ability to stop wars/violent action.

-Josh

#13 2008-05-26 05:39:31

Terraformer
Website

That's what I was suggesting. Just some organisation that can stop wars and deal with non-democratic countries.

#14 2008-05-27 09:02:37

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

I think this SFR you sugest will be exceedingly weak.  Maybe make it only a regualtory agency, with the right to tax to exactly measure last years expenses, and only the ability to stop wars/violent action.

We've had plenty of international bodies that do not stop wars, because they are not given the power to do so. The League of Nations and the United Nations. basically all the peacekeeping missions and monitoring that goes on is an excuse for inaction. People who support the UN are basically diverting their attention and efforts from things that may actually stop wars or better yet prevent them in the first place.

#15 2008-05-27 14:04:40

JoshNH4H
Website

I'm saying give this body the authority, have people do whatever they want, more or less, but still part of the SFR

-Josh

Board footer