New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-01-17 13:14:26

clark

Re: Marriage ceremony - Martian marriage cermonies

What would be martian wedding customs unique to their situation?

#2 2003-01-17 13:25:00

clark

I was thinking a ceremony involving each prospective partner (no gender requirements) to exit the habitat from opposite ends. They walk around the habitat until they meet, then enter together.

This would signify the two seperate individuals becoming one within the community.

#3 2003-01-17 13:28:44

Palomar

What would be martian wedding customs unique to their situation?

*Well, of course a lot would depend on one's religious or ethnic, etc., background...and also what amenities are available to the bride and groom. 

My first thought was, wow -- it'd be interesting to watch a bouquet of flowers being thrown on Mars; slow-mo action and slow-mo dive for the bouquet.

But that's if flowers are available to be made into a traditional bouquet.  Hmmm, broccoli stem bouquets? 

The saddest thing is...no scrumptious, feather-light vanilla cake with buttercream frosting.  sad 

Can't think of anything new and unique to their situation that they might develop...just "twists" on traditions.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2003-01-17 13:53:16

Palomar

*It will be interesting, though, how the newer settlers will have their ceremonies officiated.  If you're Jewish and there's no Rabbi on Mars, who will preside over the ceremony and make it official?  Same for persons who would go the secular route, i.e. justice of the peace?  Used to be, on ships, the captain would be the officiating authority who gave legal pronouncement on the couple.

Can't perform the ceremony via live, real-time link with Earth...45 minute transmission delay.

Could get interesting smile  Especially how women would re-design what clothing they've got to make the setting more festive or celebratory.  Not all women, of course, would opt for a few frills and fashion flare, but some would want to.  Hmmmm...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2003-01-17 14:02:15

clark

There are thousands of different marriage ceremonies, some are rather traditional, other less so.

I would really like to explore what customs might occur that would be unique to mars alone.

Perhaps the rings wil be set with polished martian rock- something volcanic.

Board footer