New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-02-27 21:17:45

DonaldSpace

Re: Did Iran become a player in space ?

A number of media reports say this Feb the Iranians launched a missile into space from a site in the Semnan Desert southeast of Tehran

The Iran satellite is called Al Omida-1, did it go to 'space' ?

French statement on Iranian rocket

Russian diplomat on Iran's Sat launch

#2 2008-02-28 06:28:52

cIclops

(Moved from Human missions - at the moment Interplanetary transportation is probably the best place for this topic)

AFAIK it was a suborbital test flight, probably part of their military missile development.

Iranian rocket transmits data to Earth

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#3 2008-03-06 07:29:38

Yang Liwei Rocket

They tested an IRBM not a satellite launcher and I can see why this would alarm some people

Let's hope the October surprise isn't a test of Plutonium detonation

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#4 2008-04-11 19:31:04

dryson

It would be a very good notion that the launching of Irans IRBM would lead the Iranians to begin a space exploration program. One more country vested in exploration means one step closer to a unified world united in a common goal that benefits all.

#5 2008-04-11 20:13:32

Gregori

It would be a very good notion that the launching of Irans IRBM would lead the Iranians to begin a space exploration program. One more country vested in exploration means one step closer to a unified world united in a common goal that benefits all.

At least your optimistic. I feel that the more people invested in space the better.

Instead of making hypocritical threats at nations like Iran and trying to freeze them out of the world we should actually try to get them involved. I'd prefer if they were integrated into the world in trade, space etc etc

We could have a lot more influence that way than trying to bully them all the time.

#6 2008-04-11 21:41:27

Commodore

So you really believe those in power in Iran are interested in space exploration?

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#7 2008-04-12 02:29:14

idiom

Maybe they want to pay for an ISS module or something smile

Come on to the Future

#8 2008-04-12 03:33:58

Gregori

So you really believe those in power in Iran are interested in space exploration?

Maybe, maybe not. If there are economic, millitaristic and goals of national pride to be gained from it, they could become very interested all of a sudden.

Do I believe those in power in the US/Russia/China/India are really all that interested in space exploration. Not really. The workers at NASA and the other space agencies probably are but the program where established for more cynical reasons that just peaceful space exploration.

#9 2008-04-12 14:42:22

Terraformer
Website

Don't know about India, but the other ones are military might.

India is just interested in sending half their population to mars. smile

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#10 2008-05-04 18:00:14

dryson

What it would do is make their people look skywards instead of looking down all the time. More science is what this world needs, only those who are dictorial and without progressing outwards need religion.

#11 2008-05-04 19:23:08

dicktice

I can't help but wonder how Muslims in LEO are going to get around the obligation to pray in the direction of Mecca every so often--ideas or opinions, anyone?

#12 2008-05-05 05:29:16

Terraformer
Website

A bunch of Imams in Malysia made a booklet for Muslim astronauts, on account of the first Muslims going into Orbit. Meccas direction had to be determined 'to the best of the Astronauts ability'.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#13 2008-05-09 15:08:14

Gregori

Perhaps we can build a mosque in geostationary orbit over Mecca!

#14 2008-05-09 22:07:23

Commodore

A bunch of Imams in Malysia made a booklet for Muslim astronauts, on account of the first Muslims going into Orbit. Meccas direction had to be determined 'to the best of the Astronauts ability'.

Otherwise known as "down". wink

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#15 2008-05-10 09:27:07

Terraformer
Website

Maybe they have to pray everytime they're orbiting over the middle east.

They have to pray 5 a day. Is that referingto a 'day' in orbit of 2 hours or an Earth day?

#16 2008-05-10 12:41:17

Stormrage

Well has a Muslim I thought of it. The only real solution is that you pray at the exact time you would have prayed if you stayed in the launch site. Or if there are lots of Muslims in space and they call came from different launch sites (Florida,Kazakhstan,South America) then Mecca would be a suitable place.

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#17 2008-05-10 14:14:29

louis

Stormrage -

Since on earth according to Shariah law no building of a non-Muslim religion can be taller than a Mosque, do you think only Muslim space craft should be allowed to fly in the highest orbits?

lol

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#18 2008-05-10 15:40:58

Gregori

Stormrage -

Since on earth according to Shariah law no building of a non-Muslim religion can be taller than a Mosque, do you think only Muslim space craft should be allowed to fly in the highest orbits?

lol

Boooooooooooooh

Spacecraft are not buildings

#19 2008-05-10 15:48:27

louis

Gregori -

Don't show your ignorance of Islam.  Shariah law is based on the idea of extrapolating from previous practice when confronted with new circumstances or new technology.

Would Muslims tolerate a Christian evangelist balloon over Mecca? No - of course not, even though balloons did not exist when Shariah was first formulated.  Would Muslims be happy with a geo stationary Christian evangelist radio satellite directly over Mecca? - I very much doubt it.

While my question may seem absurd, be assured it is NOT absurd for Muslim scholars. They will find very troubling the idea that a Christian "Church" could be above Muslim buildings in this way.

#20 2008-05-10 16:44:25

Gregori

Gregori -

Don't show your ignorance of Islam.  Shariah law is based on the idea of extrapolating from previous practice when confronted with new circumstances or new technology.

Would Muslims tolerate a Christian evangelist balloon over Mecca? No - of course not, even though balloons did not exist when Shariah was first formulated.  Would Muslims be happy with a geo stationary Christian evangelist radio satellite directly over Mecca? - I very much doubt it.

While my question may seem absurd, be assured it is NOT absurd for Muslim scholars. They will find very troubling the idea that a Christian "Church" could be above Muslim buildings in this way.

Oh please!

Look, I've plenty off muslim friends. They happen to have a thing called common sense.

If the example you used were true, Muslim countries couldn't have airports. Oddly enough, they're quite pragmatic people.

#21 2008-05-10 17:06:45

Stormrage

Stormrage -

lol

Yes and the punishment for anyone that breaks that rule is to have their right side of their space craft cut off. Let seem them live with half a ship. Oh wait. Would they even be alive?

Would Muslims tolerate a Christian evangelist balloon over Mecca? No - of course not, even though balloons did not exist when Shariah was first formulated. Would Muslims be happy with a geo stationary Christian evangelist radio satellite directly over Mecca? - I very much doubt it.

Why would a ballon be over Mecca? The only reason for it to be over there is probably to piss off the locals under or maybe to attack them. The same reason why a Christian would choose to be above Mecca. Probably try to convert them.

Well the biggest  Church in the world is in the same country where 20% of the population is muslim and is surrounded by Muslim countries. Is that enough to get you stop asking stupid questions like that?

Oh and btw. Isn't the worlds tallest building being built in Dubai? It will would have more Christians in it then Muslims.

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#22 2008-05-11 08:07:31

louis

Well, just as we see Muslim scholars take seriously the problem of in which direction to pray when orbiting space I think you will find they will also take seriously the Shariah injunction that no Christian Church should exceed in height a Muslim place of worship.

#23 2008-05-11 10:31:28

Terraformer
Website

How do you think the local mosque will react if I build a tower over it as a Church? big_smile

NASAs return to the moon will definately piss them off then. No doubt at least one, probably more of the astronauts on the surface will be Christian. Unless there's a Moslem on board as well. big_smile

#24 2008-05-11 14:24:10

louis

Depends where you live Terraformer. If you live in Saudi Arabia they'll come round, tear down your tower, arrest all the congregation, put you all in prison and give you 500 lashes or similar.

If you live in the USA they'll probably accept it.  Muslim scholars  distinguish between the Land of Islam (where Muslims rule) and the Land of War (where Muslims are not in control).

I'm stopping there whatever anyone comes back with.  I don't want to ruin this lovely space forum with such considerations.

#25 2008-05-11 16:02:00

cIclops

It's hard to see how this can get back On Topic, it was going to be moved to Space Politics but now it's drifted away even from that - how about Free Chat?

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

Board footer