New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-04-13 17:07:08

Vincent
Banned

Re: The Colors of Mars

After reading several post I still see some terms thrown around about mars images and image color renderings.

There are no, “true color images,” of Mars because no human has been there. It is all art work and opinion.

Vincent

Argument expected.
I don't require agreement when presenting new ideas.

-Dana Johnson

#2 2008-04-14 01:58:38

cIclops

Hi Vincent.

If you define "true color" as what people visually experience directly, then yes of course, nobody has seen Mars closeup in true color.

Images from Mars orbit and from probes on the surface can be processed so they appear extremely close in color to what you would experience. This is what is usually meant by "true color" images. A good description of this method applied to the latest Mars rover images is here and lots of  examples are here

BTW right now, you can see the color of Mars directly in the sky, it's a wonderful sight near the Moon.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#3 2008-04-14 03:57:06

Vincent
Banned

cIclops

I enjoyed going through your images. It seems I spend too much time on Mars, lol.

I have been around and listened to the debate from all sides from the first Viking images from 1976. No true color images , just someone’s best guess. Looks sort of Tan to me.
We will know for sure one day.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#4 2008-04-14 05:16:57

cIclops

It's much more than a "best guess", it has a sound scientific basis. The chromatic properties of the human eye and optical systems are extremely well understood. Put two people on Mars or anywhere and they will report differences in color because of differences in their perceptual systems.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#5 2008-04-14 05:43:28

Vincent
Banned

Like I said everyone has their opinion. Who is right nobody knows. Some people try and make it simple with the L4L5L6 filters. Some have an even bigger calculator and incorporate L2L7.

Like I said no true color images just opinions. Best guess was a gross over simplification, but true never the less.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#6 2008-04-14 07:05:19

cIclops

Just because everyone has an opinion does not mean that every opinion is of equal value or even valid. Simply dismissing the results of color science and the remarkable results of color imaging is also not a valid argument. Natural colors can be reproduced to a very high degree of accuracy.

#7 2008-04-14 08:01:37

Vincent
Banned

cIclops

First of all this is not a personal attack on you. I know you refer to some images as true color. I enjoy your post and images and respect your interest and knowledge.

True is derived from the word truth. There is only one truth and it is not a moving target.

The images and proclaimed true colors images or Mars are in a state of evolution based on the latest head number cruncher and theorist, some Hubble images for example.

Mars 1995

This sent the blue sky folks over the edge. The water people were having a field day with all those clouds.

2413668428_bd1aa60c9f_o.jpg

Mars 2007.

This time lets ease up on the clouds and can ya hold the blue. Images made to order. Artwork for sure.

Vincent

2413670064_7f7acfc8b3_o.jpg

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#8 2008-04-14 11:09:58

Vincent
Banned

Dang, sometimes I think you can know too much. Hues I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi_P8XwrSCU

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#9 2008-04-14 13:36:33

Vincent
Banned

Well damn you got to say. Why should I talk to a guy with the name Vincent about color.

Do not ask me, all I got to say is the sadness last forever.

Talk to me why I am still here.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#10 2008-04-15 04:31:55

cIclops

I know you refer to some images as true color.

References to "true color" are quoted from texts provided by the people who supplied the images. Follow the links and there's explanations of what is meant by that term in each case.

#11 2008-04-18 17:57:33

Vincent
Banned

cIclops,

I think we were getting into color again on the other thread. Since I do not believe any true color images of Mars exist then all images would be in false color, some just closer to the human eye spectrum.

In regard to the gully image location of the whitish blue area is very important. It is giving us a different characteristic. If it were surface material then what is the chances of it being different from the other surface material only in the gully.

Interpretation is not just color rendering but also location and pattern. I would take a grayscale if there was one floating around

That is why you always need a good photo man on any forum. A gray scale crop or old fashion black and white would take a lot of the questions out from that image.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#12 2008-04-21 09:14:55

Vincent
Banned

Why are the colors of Mars important?

We have human eyes. Colors tells us what things are in our environment necessary for our survival. We do not see the Earth as a Fly does.

Now for what ever reason the color issue goes on. I thought they were just too smart to take a color image of Mars. On the same line as, “They are so smart they are stupid.”
This has been said about me.

But the seeps and gullies have been a focal point for current surface eruptions.

If it is a dry slide we get a grayscale like image one.

When it is a gully like the image I posted with obvious residual or post chemical moisture related surface change or maybe a current event it is, “Cartoon time,” as in image two.

Vincent

Image 1

2431497348_8a11400991_o.jpg
Image 2

2430687121_baef5253f9_o.jpg

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#13 2008-04-21 10:34:54

Vincent
Banned

deleted

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#14 2008-04-21 12:57:32

Vincent
Banned

deleted

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#15 2008-04-21 13:14:08

Vincent
Banned

deleted

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#16 2008-04-25 13:49:47

Vincent
Banned

Now we all seen this image on the News this week. It is a color image taken from Earth orbit. When they get to Mars they cant get the filters lined up or they left one at home.

Go figure.

2441696160_7f5c960fd6_o.jpg

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#17 2008-05-01 03:14:47

Vincent
Banned

It would seem to understand the color issue we need to understand that satellite imaging is opinion. Now most of us want to believe the images that are presented by our government are as close to reality as possible. The reality is they are not.

Since we can debate color till the cows come home with no resolution I will try another angle. If someone would deceive you once, would they deceive you again?

Deception is deception for what ever reason. Maybe they were tired of hearing about the face and wanted to shut them up. Or you could subscribe to my theory that you can not give a scientist an imager and a calculator, they will drive themselves crazy.

This is the image from 1998 that quieted the crowd. In retrospect we know this image not to have any bases in reality. It was the best we could do in 1998. The caption said, “Filtered and enhanced.” I would say so.

Vincent

2456611620_e13f23e202.jpg

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#18 2008-05-14 08:50:59

Vincent
Banned

Now as I watch the possible landing of Phoenix on Mars and I do hope it lands ands gives us more data this brings us to reality.

The last cIclops post on this thread.

Posted Tuesday May 13 4:17pm

http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic … &start=160
This makes me go into logic mode. As Spock would say.

Task 1

Land a buggy on another planet and give probabilities of landing in eclipse on satellite topographic relief map of said plane millions of miles away.

Task 2

Take a picture.

I just don’t get it.

Vincent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujhdf9_IO4w

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#19 2008-05-27 10:03:07

cIclops

After a lot of work with photoshop, image calibration and unspeakably complex processing algorithms, i finally came up with this:

Mars_JustinLand-browse.jpg
(based on NASA archived data)

A tad too much red perhaps?

smile

#20 2008-05-27 15:19:56

Vincent
Banned

Art work is art work, good as any I have seen. Good work LOL

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#21 2008-05-28 13:03:12

Vincent
Banned

Color chart on Earth left, Mars right.

Blue is now purple. Deck has gone from gray to brown. How can they do this, Just add RED.

Check your ten foil hat at the door.

Vincent

Hort comparison

2531888506_90e14020c4_o.png

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

Board footer