New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-02-28 15:57:24

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: This is the universe...

I invented a universe to put a story in, but I can't think of any plot lines that I'm really interested in to write about in it.  I know that there are plenty, though. It's basically a number of premises.

1. You only get 1 perod of 'developement'.  Ours will go from the beginning of the renaissance to 2300 or so, by which time we will have both a space based and earth based population, mostly completely seperated.
2. There in an FTL drive, it goes at 14 ly/hour.  It's in a ship, and is a kind of warp drive, for specific details pm me.
3. There is a universal federation, kind of, that every speces is in, but it is basically "You're in space now, go wherever you want, do whatever you want" with a suggestion not to go to war with anyone else because there's plenty of room.
4. there are humans of the space based population more or less evenly spaced throughout the galaxy, but mostly on 'space ship asteroids/minorplanets'
5. about 1/1,000,000 stars have intelligent life, about 1/50,000 has some sort of life.  the life is very varied.

What do you think?

-Josh

#2 2008-04-11 14:22:33

JoshNH4H
Website

Anyone?

-Josh

#3 2008-04-11 14:44:53

Terraformer
Website

Yeah, yeah, good, good.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#4 2008-04-11 15:52:31

noosfractal
Website

Try

http://www.orionsarm.com/

I think you'll like it.

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#5 2008-04-12 05:59:32

zhar2

Umm yeah, im a member of OA and if youd like tp join you are welcome (Although no FTL in the setting, sorry).

#6 2008-04-12 07:04:11

JoshNH4H
Website

I was thinking of this as a setting to a story, this tread was made to be for anyone with plot ideas within that universe.

-Josh

#7 2008-04-12 13:20:18

Terraformer
Website

It's simple: No War No Fun.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#8 2008-04-12 13:25:02

zhar2

It's simple: No War No Fun.

Well it depends, do you like more RP or Worldbuilding,

#9 2008-04-12 14:55:19

JoshNH4H
Website

Anything, I guess.  And there can be a war, it will just generally be disapproved of by the galactic federation.

-Josh

#10 2012-01-24 18:11:26

Terraformer
Website

I prefer my SF without FTL. It makes it more fun, since you have the challenge of building an interstellar civilisation where it takes years to get anywhere else. Or maybe just use the Oort cloud for your setting and replace planets with Bernal Spheres and Ringworlds - when you're separated by a mere 100AU and have torchships, it's conceivable, no?

The setting I'm playing around with is maybe early to mid 22nd century, and involves extended lifespans (oldest person is around 200; in the setting we reached the required technological stage around the 2030's, with curing cancer and developing the ability to grow organs for transplants, though most come from genetically engineered pig breeds due to it being cheaper) and fast (~0.6c) interstellar travel using Ram-augmented interstellar rockets, which comes in at around #1000/kg (# here means credits) and are under the exclusive control of an Imperial corporation (you didn't thing they'd place planet-wrecking WMD's in the hands of tramps, did you? wink ). There are many "alien" races descended from humans, as the internet in the early to mid 21st century allowed for people with exotic traits to meet and reproduce, and reproductive technology allowed for parents to gain limited control over the traits their children had (for example, the Selky, who are noted for having extreme, webbed feet and an ability to free dive for up to 15 minutes easily). In addition, gene therapy allows people to have traits such as Lungfish haemoglobin engineered into themselves (put to much use in the later SPARTAN project, on the basis that you don't ship 10,000 men, you ship 100 men and make each man equal to 100 men). The singularity did not materialise, and Strong AI has proved a false dawn, though there is widespread AGI expert systems in use, and some people have foregone their bodies to become brains in jars - and a few of them have taken jobs on starships and the Halo's, and plug+play bodies are available in some locales.. There is an interstellar empire around 2ly radius and expanding, based around superjovian rogues and brown dwarfs, and centred on the Solar system, though it is only nominally an Empire - the Emperor is chosen by the High Lords of Terra, but the main thing which ties the colonies together is the Bank of Terra, which is responsible for maintaining the interstellar economy. Jediism, which has matured into a semi-mystical secular order, is rather widespread, and run training schools in almost every system - people enter at the age of 10 if they are deemed suitable and given rigorous training to build their agility and reflexes, both mental and physical, and if they are picked at the age of 12 to become Padawans, will travel to the Luna temple to become full Jedi knights. Scientology is a major threat, though unseen - in the vast gulfs between the Imperial colonies, entire empires are rising and falling, based around the comets and planetoids of the darkness. Some people, tired of their lives, choose to take Early Death and have themselves stored (as brains in jars, for a body can always be regrown later, though difficult) for an set period of time. Others choose instead to have a rejuvenation, an (expensive) treatment which involves much plastic surgery and a complete replacement of their internal organs, as well as several infusions of neural stem cells - the end results can be rather different from the starting person, as they often include an ethnoplasty, in which their racial subtype is changed, for example a tall black guy can become a small Korean woman. Still others go further, and have their bodies completely rebuilt as babies, with their memories destroyed, in the extreme process known as reincarnation.

I have much, much more for this, a lot I haven't even thought of yet...

Board footer