New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#151 2006-11-04 03:33:00

EuroLauncher

Re: Space fairing Nations - The ever changing view

#152 2006-12-08 15:55:14

publiusr
Banned

Frightening.

#153 2007-02-19 01:28:09

EuroLauncher

Iran almost ready to launch spy satellite into space
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/818236.html

#154 2007-02-19 07:39:37

GCNRevenger

Or more than likely, they are testing an ICBM under the guise of being a "satellite launcher"

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#155 2007-02-19 07:59:15

EuroLauncher

Or more than likely, they are testing an ICBM under the guise of being a "satellite launcher"

I fear you've got it correct

#156 2007-02-19 08:53:53

cIclops

That's been the reason every space power has first launched satellites. Starting with the USSR then the US, then the Euros, China, Israel, India and Japan.  Almost all launch vehicles are based on ballistic missile rockets, the technology is dual use.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#157 2007-02-19 08:59:02

GCNRevenger

Yeah but Iran isn't using the technology for "dual use" stuff, its for dominating the middle east, making Europe cowar in terror, and of course turning Israel into a series of glass lakes.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#158 2007-02-21 07:51:55

EuroLauncher

South Korea's first two potential astronauts will this month start a year of training in Russia before one of them heads to the International Space Station, officials said Sunday. The Korea Aerospace Research Institute said the pair will leave on February 27 and begin training at the Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center from March 7 after a week of medical check-ups.

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/South … a_999.html

#159 2007-02-25 21:19:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Iran announces rocket launch, believed part of commercial satellite project

Lots more references to this on spacetoday.net

Iran on Sunday said it had successfully tested what it called a rocket that had reached space. The announcement, made on state-run television, was unclear, but appeared to refer to Iran's efforts to launch commercial satellites into orbit.

Also in 2005, Iran said its next step would be the launch of a satellite on an indigenous rocket. Iranian officials have said the country has been developing a Shahab-4 missile that will be used to launch a satellite into space.

In 2005, Iran launched its first such satellite in a joint project with Russia.

#160 2007-03-08 08:23:29

Grypd

And now we have Germany.

Germany Plans Mission To The Moon

Germany has announced plans to develop and launch a lunar mapping mission by 2013 and after this it is to develop a lander to explore and take samples back to the Earth.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#161 2007-03-08 17:50:48

cjchandler

At least the germans have a semi-reasonable plan with just a robotic probe mission as the long term goal. These other countries that say, sure we're going to the moon in 10 yearsand probably start a base there even though we haven't put a man into orbit yet are ridiculious.

Ad astra per aspera!

#162 2007-03-22 06:26:22

Grypd

Russia and Europe agree closer space cooperation.

Europe And Russia Confirm Closer Space Cooperation

From small acorns grow .......

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#163 2007-04-12 21:05:38

Mars_B4_Moon

#164 2007-05-09 10:51:50

Mars_B4_Moon

Malaysia has high hopes for moon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p … 192166.stm

In other news

Space guide for Muslim astronauts
http://www.themercury.co.za/index.php?f … Id=3808083
Malaysia's two finalists for the voyage, Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor and Faiz Khaleed, are now training in Moscow. They were selected from more than 10 000 candidates.

The guidelines deal with problems Muslim space travellers might face, such as pinpointing the Saudi holy city of Mecca, which Muslims are expected to face when they pray five times a day. The guideline booklet says the direction should be determined "according to the capability" of the astronaut.

Those in space during the holy fasting month of Ramadan - when Muslims are required to go without food or water from sunrise to sunset - can choose to fast then or to make up for it when they return.

If Muslim astronauts doubt whether a meal is halal, or prepared according to Islamic rules, they "should consume it only to the extent of restraining hunger", the guidelines say.

The astronaut must be dressed decently whenever in public view, which involves covering at least the portion of the body between the navel and the knees for men. Both of the finalists for Malaysia's first astronaut are males.

Maintaining Islamic beliefs "is mandatory for Muslims in every situation, time and place", Mustafa Abdul Rahman, who heads Malaysia's state-run Department of Islamic Development, said in the guidelines.

"Circumstances on the ISS (International Space Station) which are different from circumstances on Earth are not an obstacle for an astronaut to fulfil a Muslim's obligations," he said.

#165 2007-10-13 05:56:53

EuroLauncher

Sputnik and Arirang

Ko San, a 31-year-old computer scientist, is to be Korea’s first astronaut when he boards Russia’s Soyuz

#166 2008-03-04 01:03:27

Yang Liwei Rocket

The clock is ticking away towards the launch of SA's space agency
http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/articl … _id=127346
The fact that the creation of a South African Space Agency is now only a matter of months away is attracting international interest, including proposals for technological cooperation, to this country. "Word has gotten out that South Africa is very keen on putting together a space agency," reports Department of Science and Technology (DST) Space Science and Technology Manager Dr Val Munsami, "and people, internationally, are approaching us, in terms of becoming partners on new generation satellite programmes, so these are opportunities. We are targetting a number of international partnerships, in terms of being able to build competencies here."

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#167 2008-03-28 10:06:05

louis

The democratic nations should co-operate with other democracies not oppressive dictatorships. India, Japan, Taiwan  and Brazil should be the partners for the US and ESA, not  China.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#168 2008-03-31 13:04:18

Yang Liwei Rocket

Louis, I wouldn't exactly call the British a space faring nation since their rocket program which once romanced the Australians is now dead and they depend on the French, Russians or Americans to get their payloads into orbit. The British Empire is also dead or dying a slow death and thankfully the days of the Brits barking their orders at the world are long behind us. The reason why Russia's Soyuz is doing so well, is because it is a great rocket, it launches commercial payloads and we've got this thing in the world called free-trade which allows other nations to compete in the industry.

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#169 2008-03-31 14:37:39

louis

Yang Liwei -

I agree Britain cannot be called a space faring nation.  Very sad but true.

I am an anti-imperialist. I think the British Empire was a huge historical mistake. The idea that it was a great success is quite wrong. It was a racist enterprise built on the notion that might is right. I am against the  empires we see around us today oppressing nations that deserve to govern themselves.

As a democrat I simply think democratic nations should link up with other democratic nations in all fields - and that includes space. 

The A4 rocket was a technical triumph. Doesn't say anything good about the regime that produced it.

#170 2008-03-31 15:41:39

zhar2

Umm its sad that britain hasnt got any space program as such, but thats what the ESA is for though.

Empire wise, think empires are not mistakes if they are build properly, empires need to embrace and integrate their new subjects make them feel like citizens and equals, thats where the european empires failed but the roman empire succeded.
I wouldnt say imperialism is over, it just evolved into globalization which has allowed shall we say "imperial" nations to plunder other nations resources without the responsability an empire faces.

I concur with louis, nations like india, EU and brazil should try to forge better links  with the US and team up, and encourage moving their industry out of china into other smaller less threatening labour rich nation.
Although my family is italian and spanish i was born in colombia and lived there for 11 years, and i know colombian people them selfs would not mind at all for example becoming part of the US (Now hows that for for partnership smile )

#171 2008-03-31 16:56:22

louis

You'd have to change the name! Colombia would always be confused with Columbia as in District of Columbia. Mind you, they already have the Washington/Washington thing going...

#172 2008-04-01 03:30:03

zhar2

You'd have to change the name! Colombia would always be confused with Columbia as in District of Columbia. Mind you, they already have the Washington/Washington thing going...

I think its too large for one state, it may need to be split into two different ones.

#173 2008-04-05 09:08:30

Terraformer
Website

Alaska's one state, and that's, what, 1/4 of mainland Americas landmass.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#174 2008-04-05 11:27:49

louis

OK, I'm not looking at an atlas here but I query that 25% figure for Alaska. Sure you haven't been taken in by Mercator projection which used to make Greenland loom so large.

Here's another one for you: to which continent should we assign Greenland?
No one ever seems to refer to it as part of America.

#175 2008-04-06 04:18:59

cIclops

Perhaps this topic should be moved to space politics ...

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

Board footer