New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-01-11 13:46:38

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: Fines

What are the martian fines?  How big are they, what is their composition?  How much of a problem will they be for humans, machinery etc.

-Josh

#2 2008-01-12 13:32:41

MarsRefresh
Banned

Well, I've read a bit about this and the finest material that gets lofted high into the atmosphere is the red dust that covers so much of the planet. From what I've read it is primarily iron oxides (60+%), particularly hematite (rust) with the fine grained consistency of talcum powder. Beneath the surface layer the soil seems to be mostly decomposed basalt (excellent soil on Earth). I read a lot about this in the newest edition of the Encyclopedia of the Solar System, but I'll check my facts next time I'm at the library.

#3 2008-01-12 14:00:40

JoshNH4H
Website

So that means that fines are almost wholly antiferromaggnetic, and also small enough to get through almost any opening?

-Josh

#4 2008-01-13 08:51:41

MarsRefresh
Banned

An interesting point. Sounds like question for an expert, I know localized magnetic fields exist all over Mars. I also suspect that much of the dust is abrasive volcanic ash, like what many scientists suspect comprises Meduasa Fossae (if it isn't water ice glaciers). So seals should be watched and carefully maintained on a Mars mission.

#5 2008-03-28 19:11:33

louis

Well obviously whatever they are, these fines have not been so fiendishly destructive as to prevent the Mars Rovers from  chugging around and they have plenty of moving parts.

That said, it will probably make sense for most industrial processes (lathes, metal pressing. moulding etc) to be conducted in a relatively dust free environment - probably in a surface inflatable.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

Board footer