New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-03-11 21:17:28

samy
Banned
Website

Re: Solar panel operating limits

I've googled a bit and can't seem to find the information so I thought I'd ask here.

What kind of limits do solar panels have, regarding how close to the sun can we put them?

At 0.1AU the solar constant is approx. 137200 W/m2 which is a hundred times the energy as we get here on Earth. But can solar panels take that kind of energy in, even if we get that close? Or are they limited by some kind of maximum intake?

Also, something that close will heat up quite significantly. Are there solar panels that can stand being heated up to hundreds of degrees, or will putting stuff that close to the sun effectively burn them to a crisp?

Some unmanned space craft have used solar gravity assists. How close to the sun did they get and how did their solar panels function during the close approaches?

#2 2008-03-11 22:10:07

noosfractal
Website

Using concentrating optics to get 500 suns on high end cells is routine.  Current research is trying for 1000 suns.  Keeping everything cool is the limiting factor.  Apparently, you shorten the life of most cells over 250 suns.

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#3 2008-03-11 22:11:22

samy
Banned
Website

Okay, so the wattage intake is not an issue but the heating is. Thanks! That solves one problem for me.

Board footer