New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2008-01-17 08:02:49

Terraformer
Website

Re: If I had a craft 1 mph off the speed of light...............

............would I be able to walk around above 1 mph on the craft. I dopn't think I would, as I'd be exceeding the speed of light in the universe as a whole, but it's been bothering me.

And if I had a craft that was in some sort of 'Hyperspace', where the speed of light was much faster, and I dropped back into this universe, I'd still be going FTL, so how could I have more than infinite mass, and thus more than infinite energy.

Unless, of course, light isn't the speed limit of the universe, it's just the fastest thing in it. For example, a road has a speed limit of 50 mph, but for some reason the fastest anyone's doing is 45. Someone could accelerate up to 50 if they wanted to.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#2 2008-01-17 09:36:27

X

I'm pretty sure it's not as analogous as I want it to be, but surely supersonic planes go through a similar situation just before passing the speed of sound.  Each indivual moving part doesn't need as much power put into it as the aircraft as a whole even though it'd be breaking the speed of sound (as much as your man would be breaking the speed of light) before the aircraft when it travels above the difference in the same direction as the aircraft is going.

#3 2008-01-18 14:23:45

Terraformer
Website

It isn't very analagous.

The person would also gain much more mass than the entire ship if they walked .5 mph off the speed of light and the craft was going 2 mph off. If they could, using multiple stages would allow a craft to exceed 1c.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

Board footer