New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#26 2007-01-22 01:26:53

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Re: Books You've Just Read?

Yeah, and it has been suggested that colonies inside rotating miles-long cylinders could create their own individual heavens and hells without messing up planets with their bloody differences. Hallelujah!

I agree. Space is a big place! If we can put enough distance between ourselves and an O'Neill Colony full of Marxist/Leninists, or that Taliban colony, then we should have no trouble living in peace, as they would have no physical capacity to impose their crazy ideas on unwilling subjects at the point of a gun.

This is a great use for Interstellar Ark ships, get a bunch of revolutionaries and subversives and say, "How'd you like to go to Alpha Centauri, then society pays for their voyage to the stars which takes hundreds of years, and thus doesn't have to worry about them anymore. We could set them off on a journey where they are incapable of slowing down and coming back here until their destination is reached.

I have an interesting idea. Suppose we sent 3 arkships to Alpha Centauri, one is full of Communists that adhere to central planning, one is full of religious fanatics that adhere to their "Great Wise One" Spiritual leader and do whatever he say, and the third is full of Capitalists/Entrepenuers, so which colony ship is most likely to arrive their successfully?

#27 2007-01-22 16:24:20

C M Edwards

I have an interesting idea. Suppose we sent 3 arkships to Alpha Centauri, one is full of Communists that adhere to central planning, one is full of religious fanatics that adhere to their "Great Wise One" Spiritual leader and do whatever he say, and the third is full of Capitalists/Entrepenuers, so which colony ship is most likely to arrive their successfully?

I don't know, but it has the makings of a great joke!

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#28 2007-02-06 10:42:55

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

There is an interesting new book called The Sky People, its authour is S. M. Stirling and it can be found at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0765314 … LGR04%253D

The book is an alternate history that posits: "What if Venus and Mars were more like that depicted un Pulp Science Fiction Novels at the beginning of the 20th century?"

#29 2007-04-08 21:35:51

X

Cool.  I'll have to read that.  The Peshawar Lancers was an exciting alt history where a big asteroid hit earth.  Wished Stirling had written some more about that world, but this sounds cool too.

Anyways last book I read that I remember the name of was The Song of the Dodo.  Interesting stuff, but I'm not sure hwo wrote it.  Most credit I've ever seen given to Alfred Wallace though.

#30 2008-01-17 01:49:58

X

Read a lot since I lasted posted here, but the most recent was The Dark Tower by Stephen King.  I thought it was a great ending to a great fantasy series.  It's got me intrigued enough into his other books that I'm going to read the related ones outside The Dark Tower cycle.  It's a bit sad and limiting to his audience that these books are in the horror section of the bookstore when they're fantasy and science fiction.  I get the feeling a lot of his work shouldn't be classified as horror, but it is anyways.  I think it'd sell even better if they got the non-horror stuff out of the horror section.

#31 2008-01-17 06:34:19

Terraformer
Website

Tom Kalbfus wrote:

The Communists would forget how everything works (education would be non-existent and everyone would be poor), the Capitalists would claim bits of the ship and sell them to each other, and the religous fanatics would end up with a leader saying about the evils of technology and they'd smash up their own craft. They'd all arrive, they just wouldn't know how to land or even pilot their craft. They'd slowly crash into one of the stars or head out into the galaxy. (Hey, that's given me the idea for a great book.)

I'm currently reading a book called 'Marrow'. It's set on a ship travelling at 0.5c, with an iron planet in the center.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#32 2008-01-17 09:31:18

X

I think the religious people would be the most likely.  Strong belief in a power above you does wonders for getting people to work together.  Religious societies like the Hutterites who are communist manage to make communism work a lot better than any secular group that try to go down that path from what I've seen.

#33 2008-01-18 15:08:05

Terraformer
Website

And even then you've got to admit they aren't that likely to survive.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

Board footer