New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-01-05 17:56:54

David Ellard

Re: Mars Needs You! - What would you pay to finance Mars

Let me know how much you personally would be interested in spending to help finance a Mars mission.

"No Bucks, No Buck Rogers" - Tom Wolfe

#2 2003-01-05 18:47:47

soph

polls dont work, but i would spend $1k+ if i had the money. keep the amount of land available to the public limited though, and give a large amount of land to the people who get there (50 km radius sounds about right to me).

#3 2003-01-05 19:33:08

Palomar

*I'd be willing to pay $100.00 to have a geographical feature ::officially:: named in Voltaire's memory and honor.  Preferably that heart-shaped crater on Mars (yeah, I suppose it's already been named...but that can be fixed)  smile

Voltaire is my sweetheart and hero, in case you're wondering.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2003-01-05 20:22:45

Bill White

I suggest a different direction - since I believe "selling" any of Mars is not currently feasible, whether legally or politically.

How much extra would you pay for a shirt, or shoes, or a neck tie that had a Mars theme logo if you were guaranteed that 10% of the sales price would be used to fund humans to Mars?

How much extra do people pay for shoes with a Nike logo versus the same shoes with no logo?

But to answer the question: If I knew enough other people were contributing and I was certain folks really were going to use the money to go to Mars - instead of buying new computers or office furniture for space advocacy fundraisers - I would donate $1,000 per year for as many years as it took for humanity to do it.

I would not even ask for anything in return - except maybe a tax write off!

#5 2003-01-05 20:24:00

soph

bill gates donates $1 billion a year to charity, think $100 million could find its way to space programs?

#6 2003-01-05 22:40:48

David Ellard

I don't think that limiting the ammount of land bought should be a problem, even getting all the money required should only sell off about 1% of the Martian land, and thats hardly explioting.
Selling T-Shirts and merchindise should help, but only when combined with the other money making schemes.
BTW if anyone is confused, this post was supposed to be under the Paying for Mars topic, sorry bout placing it here, but I'm new to this, I take it the polls don't work for anyone?

"No Bucks, No Buck Rogers" - Tom Wolfe

#7 2003-01-07 07:55:13

Palomar

sorry bout placing it here, but I'm new to this, I take it the polls don't work for anyone?

*Apparently there's been problems in the past with polls showing results...Adrian?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#8 2003-01-07 09:30:23

Adrian
Website

Yeah, polls basically don't work (although I believe if you log out and have a look at them as a guest, you can see the results, I'm not sure). I put it down to a peculiarity or bug in the software. Probably will be fixed when I upgrade the forums.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#9 2003-01-08 13:50:53

Josh Cryer

My own sweat and blood. smile

No, really, getting to Mars in my lifetime would take a lot of effort. I'm hopeful, but I dunno.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

Board footer