New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-11-30 22:39:09

MarsRefresh
Banned

Re: Tunneling on Mars

Maxie posted a link for an interesting recent radar find in one of the Water threads:

http://space.newscientist.com/article/d … uator.html

In this article two possibilities could explain the radar readings - very loose "unusually porous rocky material" or a vast resevoir of ice. The later possibility would be very exciting and puts the equitorial formation at the top of potential sites for future bases. But the former possibity intrigues me too.

I looked around and did not spot any old threads about excavation on Mars, but such light material could possibly be the best place to dig in and establish large underground quarters.

Obviously there are unknowns: homogenity & composition of the volcanic tuft (if it isn't H2O) for starters. The question that struck me was, "How do you dig mines on Mars?" Obviously the humble, old pick and wheelbarrow option would not likely be practical. What about some kind of suction? Could a miner with a drill loosen the material and then suck it our through long, hard polyethelene tubing? (Can anyone tell i'm not a miner?) How much power might such a system require?

Any thoughts?

Board footer