New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-11-17 09:59:19

CheddarCheese

Re: War of the Worlds? Alien Invasion? don't think so.

You know what bugs me? All those weird books and movies where intelligent aliens try taking over the earth. They take one look at Earth then try to kill everything on it. I find that stupid, especially if the alien is intelligent and sentient. If you've seen War of the Worlds,  read the book, the aliens come out of the blue and attack. No reason, no signal, no anything, just attack.

If you think about it, lets say, we were really advanced. We go to a planet far away in a diffrent planetary system. We suddenly find this blue/green jewel planet, much like the Earth. We go and explore it, and see that there are weird creatures, but are intelligent and sentient. They have the technology of us right now. Since we are more advanced we are stronger. Would we really just go in and blow up stuff for no reason? Any sentient being would observe and reaserch, maybe even interact a tiny bit. no one would want to kill a speicies for no reason. Think about it.

Oh, and this is my first post on the forum. big_smile  Its a cool place.

#2 2007-11-17 10:01:51

Rxke

Welcome CheddarCheese (though I hate cheese!)  lol

#3 2007-11-17 10:08:31

CheddarCheese

Lol random names, thats me.... big_smile

#4 2007-11-17 10:53:50

Terraformer
Website

Exactly, we wouldn't blow everything up. We'd be to busy stopping the anthropologists from letting us advance the race artifically.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#5 2007-11-17 12:51:23

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

We'd need the Universe as something to expand into, naturally this would entail the creation of a whole lot of "Earths" along the way. A truly alien planet would likely not be of much use to us, as it may evolve an alien mixture of gases that we could not breath.

#6 2008-01-30 01:38:20

fredtowne
Banned

I think people have alot of reasons to question the motives of foreign species. For one, most abductees claim to be very abused and very few say its a pleasant experience. Any truly "enlightened being" would understand basic rights of choice and to be seen and treated as an individual, even if the species has a "hive" mindset and were "enlightened", then they should realize that some species/people don't operate with disregard to the possibility. Also assuming that Dr. Sitchen was correct, that humans were created as a "slave race", to see ones creation grow out of control and beyond your control, would be upsetting and to create a "slave race" to work your mines, etc. isn't an action that I'de say was "enlightened". Just because a species has the ability for space travel doesn't automatically mean they are "enlightened". If you were to take a modern fighter pilot and allow him to buzz Alexander the Great's Army and then land to talk with Alexander, its possible that he'd been seen as "enlightened", because he had mastered flight, but in reality, this pilot may be a miserable, cruel, selfish, individual, with the ability to wipe out one of the greatest armies that has ever walked the earth. Its always assumed that more technological societies are more evolved, but I would submit that on our own planet, more technology means a better weapon and often a more inhumane handler. I think that a great many more aliens pose a threat to us than those that have more positive plans for us, sadly, we're still our own greatest enemy, which can be used to our great disadvantage by those who wish to do us harm.

#7 2008-02-01 13:59:42

Terraformer
Website

Welcome to the forums, fredtowne. Good points.

For all we know, the aliens could have mastered spaceflight because of War, Cruelty, etc. Look at the space race. If that had continued at the same pace, how do you think the Soviets, with Gulags and such like, would treat an alien race? Any better than their own people? I don't think so. Probably worse.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#8 2008-02-01 21:15:26

fredtowne
Banned

I totally agree with what your saying.  I have no idea where people get the idea that more advanced races are automatically "peacefull".  It seems to me that the logical trend would be to first slaughter, conquer, cause unimaginable suffering and then maybe develop into a society that doesn't thirst for it anymore.

Board footer