New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#426 2007-11-08 01:04:53

cIclops

Re: Ares I (CLV) - status

ATK Selects Avionics Contractor for Ares I First Stage

MINNEAPOLIS, Nov. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) announced it has selected L-3 Communications (NYSE: LLL), to provide key components of the avionics subsystem for the First Stage of NASA's next-generation human launch vehicle -- the Ares I.

In December 2005, NASA named ATK as the prime contractor for the Ares I first stage. In August 2007, ATK received a $1.8 billion contract from NASA to continue the design, development, test and evaluation (DDT&E) phase of the first stage through 2014.

The First Stage consists of a five-segment solid rocket booster, similar to the four-segment boosters used for Space Shuttle launches. "L-3 won a hard-fought competitive procurement, said Mike Kahn, Vice President of Space Launch Systems, ATK Launch Systems Group. They showed their innovation and ability to perform this critical role and we're pleased to have them on the Ares I First Stage team."

L-3's Cincinnati Electronics subsidiary is responsible for providing the Booster Control/Power Distribution Unit, Data Acquisition/Recorder Unit, Hydraulic Power Unit Controller, Ignition/Separation Unit and Recovery Control Unit. ATK will be responsible for avionics subsystem integration and certification.

Each avionics subsystem flight set consists of 18 electronic boxes located throughout the Ares I first stage. Under the contract, L-3 Cincinnati Electronics will conduct various aspects of the DDT&E phase including delivery of development, qualification, system integration and flight test sets to begin in 2009. The L-3 DDT&E contract extends through 2014.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#427 2007-11-08 06:55:17

gaetanomarano

..and 3 standard SRBs are heavier than 2 5-segments...

each 4-segments SRB is able to lift itself and 240 mT of upperstages' mass to 45 km. or 190 mT to 55 km. and a 10+ mT extra weight if the (lighter) expendable version is used (while the 5-seg. version has the same problems evidenced with Ares-1: much more extra-weight than extra-thrust)

...it'll take ALOT longer to redesign fuel tanks to handle 3 segments...

add a third junction to the tank is a matter of HOURS for the NASA engineers

...including aerodynamic studies, wind tunnels...

you forget that the AresV will be a brand new rocket (not a modified Shuttle ET) so, everything will be designed, developed, tested and built from zero, then, it can born with two, three or four SRBs respecting the same timeline... no delay will be due to that change

[url=http://www.gaetanomarano.it]gaetanomarano.it[/url]
[url=http://www.ghostnasa.com]ghostNASA.com[/url]

#428 2007-11-09 13:32:28

publiusr
Banned

#429 2007-11-14 11:47:00

RedStreak
Banned

Interesting news about new way to store hydrogen:

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=102776#102776

Check the posted link there.

#430 2007-11-15 18:30:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

NASA Conducts Second Test of Main Parachute for Ares Rockets

The parachute system will allow Ares I and Ares V first stage boosters to be recovered and reused. Thursday's test validated the results of an earlier test conducted in September.

"Measuring 150-feet in diameter and weighing 2,000 pounds, this is the biggest chute of its kind that's been tested," said Steve Cook

Booster recovery was the focus of the recent test, the second in a series. Outfitted with a 42,000-pound weight to simulate the load of a rocket's first stage, the main parachute was dropped from a U.S.

Air Force C-17 aircraft flying at an altitude of 16,500 feet. The 1-ton parachute and all supporting hardware functioned properly, landing safely approximately three minutes later on the Yuma Proving Ground test range.

During the first main parachute test on Sept. 25, the parachute was dropped from a slightly higher elevation of 17,500 feet, giving NASA engineers the opportunity to monitor parachute performance at a dynamic pressure of 86 pounds per square foot.

#431 2007-11-16 15:58:45

cIclops

j2xheritagehy7.jpg
J-2X component heritige - ripped from Development of the J-2X engine (PDF 4MB) - September 2007

In its latest configuration, the J-2X will use RS-68 flight type Main Injector, Gas Generator and Main Combustion Chamber with Augmented  Spark Injector, all scaled to the smaller J-2X. Dropped from the design was an option for a J-2 heritage gas generator. A Channel Wall Nozzle design was dropped in favor of a Tube Wall regeneratively cooled nozzle. However, the case for several design and program decisions remained open following SRR/SDR, and the Element added a Resynchronization Review in March 2007 to resolve the final details before proceeding to Preliminary Design Review.

Trades between metal and carbon composite nozzle extensions continued past SRR/SDR. It was rated the element's top risk going into 2007. Following the review, engineers decided that the metal options studied lacked sufficient temperature margin and opted to go forward with composite materials to the Resynchronization Review. Composites were found to have higher development costs but significantly higher margin required for the J-2X mission.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#432 2007-11-16 21:32:15

Commodore

this could be a problem...

First Stage Design Problems Arise For NASA's Ares 1 Rocket

NASA has run into some problems with the design of its new Ares 1 launch vehicle - problems that could affect its ability (as designed) to safely launch its human cargo into space.

The Ares 1 and the Orion capsule (also under development) are designed to replace the crew carrying function of the current Space Shuttle fleet which is due to be retired in 2010. The first flight of humans aboard an Ares 1 is planned for March 2015.

According to NASA sources, the Ares 1 first stage, as currently designed, would produce a frequency of 25 Hz at liftoff. The concern is that this oscillation could shake the Ares 1 upper stage and Orion capsule designed to carry human passengers, causing considerable damage and that it could also adversely affect the Guidance, Navigation, and Control avionics in the rocket's Instrumentation Unit.

When asked to comment on this development, NASA's Exploration System Mission Directorate (ESMD) Public Affairs Officer replied:

"The Ares Project Office identified Ares I thrust oscillation as a potential integrated stack challenge as a part of its system definition review which concluded in October. Thrust oscillation or resonant burning is a characteristic of all solid rocket motors. It is caused by vortex shedding inside the solid rocket motor, similar to the wake that follows a fast-moving boat. When the vortex shedding coincides with the acoustic modes of the motor combustion chamber, pressure oscillations generate longitudinal forces that may affect the loads experienced by the Ares I during the last phase of first-stage flight. NASA is assessing the analyses in more detail, looking for any potential impacts to the integrated stack and ways to mitigate those impacts. Results are due in spring 2008. It is a normal part of the development process to identify, mitigate and track challenges such as this."

NASA sources also report that the 6 month slip in the Ares 1 PDR (Preliminary Design Review) recently announced could impact the first launch of humans aboard an Ares 1 by as much as 14-16 months beyond the publicly announced first flight date of March 2015.

NASA ESMD's response: "NASA decided to move the Ares I first stage preliminary design review to summer 2008 to allow better alignment with current Ares Project and Constellation Program preliminary design review planning. Conducting the first stage preliminary design review in summer 2008 will not cause NASA to delay the target date for the first flight with humans."

In addition, NASA sources report that the option of having a non-recoverable first stage for Ares 1 is also still under active consideration within the Ares design team - this despite stern statements to the contrary by former ESMD head Scott Horowitz last year.

NASA's response: "NASA is not considering a non-recoverable first stage for Ares I. A recoverable system is the preferred approach, and the agency confirmed this baseline through a trade study as part of the recent systems definition review."

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#433 2007-11-17 01:32:58

cIclops

All three of these so called problems, identified by unnamed sources, turn out to not be problems according to NASA. At least the author checked the story, but didn't get the headline or even the name of the rocket right. So the good news is there is no bad news. There must be shortage of bad news about NASA this week.

#434 2007-11-17 12:18:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

IIRC the oscillation change was from 9hz for the standard 4 segment but the question is was this a test of a 5 segment?

#435 2007-11-29 12:20:14

cIclops

GAO Report (PDF) - 28 Nov 2007

GAO recommends NASA establish a sound business case for Ares I before proceeding beyond preliminary design review (now set for July 2008), and if necessary, delay the preliminary design review until the project’s readiness to move forward is demonstrated.

That's the bottom line of this 33 page report. NASA concurs with this recommendation.

#436 2007-12-06 14:15:43

cIclops

Building Operations Efficiencies into NASA’s Ares I Crew Launch Vehicle Design (PDF 7MB) - May 2007

The Ares I ground and flight operations goals are summarized below:

• Achieve a significant reduction in operations cost from legacy systems, with the goal to operate at a steady-state flight rate of 5 flights per year, for no more than $1.2 billion annually.
• Simplify and minimize ground processing and integration operations such that the system can be launched within 45 calendar days from start of assembly.
• Effectively size the system to support various mission types (ISS, lunar sortie, etc.) and number of missions in any given year; support up to 6 (5 plus surge) flights per year.
• Be interchangeable with either mission type (crew or cargo) such that no significant changes in processing flow or element hardware are required.
• Elements should arrive at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) without open factory work.
• Achieve the appropriate balance between the use of Line Replaceable Units (LRUs), reliable component selection, and maintenance operations to support a launch availability of not less than 98 percent (not including natural environmental impacts).
• Minimize launch pad processing time such that it is ready for launch within 7 days from the integrated system's arrival at the launch pad.
• Reduce, to the maximum extent practical, any launch pad maintenance during the 4-day launch window.
• Be capable of a 24-hour turnaround following a launch scrub.
• Be capable of supporting the next Trans-Lunar Injection (TLI) window following a missed launch attempt.
• Use common, reusable ground support equipment throughout pre-launch processing and launch operations.
• Incorporate common parts and tooling as much as practical.

#437 2007-12-08 20:05:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Lots of info here in this document...
http://images.spaceref.com/news/2007/11-30-07.ISTIM.pdf

#438 2007-12-09 03:17:43

cIclops

Another internal NASA document edited and released by NASAWATCH, what is the status of this document?

On Monday Jeff Hanley will give a press briefing on the status of the  exploration work, that would be a good time to ask questions rather than publish internal working documents.

#439 2007-12-13 03:53:59

cIclops

205921main_USIU_720x540.jpg

NASA Selects Prime Contractor for Ares I Rocket Avionics - 12 Dec 2007

WASHINGTON - NASA has selected The Boeing Company of Huntsville, Ala., as the prime contractor to produce, deliver and install avionics systems for the Ares I rocket that will launch the Orion crew exploration vehicle into orbit. The selection is the final major contract award for Ares I. The award resulted from a full and open competition.

The Ares I launch vehicle is a key component of the Constellation Program, which will send humans to the moon by 2020 to set up a lunar outpost. Boeing will support the NASA design team leading the development of the Ares I avionics components. The company also will develop and acquire avionics hardware for the rocket and assemble, inspect and integrate the avionics system components on the upper stage. Components will be manufactured by the prime contractor's suppliers across the country. Final integration and checkout will take place at NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in Louisiana.

The avionics are the "brains" of the Ares I and will provide guidance, navigation and control for the rocket until it reaches orbit. The avionics system is responsible for managing vehicle health and reporting it to flight controllers based on a sequence of timed events, such as engine shutdown and first stage separation.

The instrument unit that contains the bulk of the avionics will be situated between the two-stage Ares I rocket and the adapter that joins Ares I to the Orion spacecraft. The system consists of onboard computers, flight controls, communications equipment and other instruments and software for monitoring and adjusting the rocket's speed and position during flight.

Boeing will provide one instrument unit avionics ground test article, three flight test units and six production flight units to support integrated flight tests and missions through 2016. The contract type is cost-plus-award-fee and the period of performance is Dec. 17, 2007, through Dec. 16, 2016. The estimated value for support to the NASA-led design team and production of test and flight units is $265,489,783. Additional tasks not included in the initial scope of the contract may be acquired up to a maximum value of $420 million. Additional flight units may be obtained at an estimated cost of $114,045,292 for as many as 12 additional units. The total estimated contract value is $799,535,079.

So the flight unit procurement cost is $9.5m

#440 2007-12-14 07:55:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

GAO Report (PDF) - 28 Nov 2007

GAO recommends NASA establish a sound business case for Ares I before proceeding beyond preliminary design review (now set for July 2008), and if necessary, delay the preliminary design review until the project’s readiness to move forward is demonstrated.

That's the bottom line of this 33 page report. NASA concurs with this recommendation.

Based on the shuttle experience I think that GAO and congress are looking for the point at which Nasa shows that the new ship is not experimental and is really free from pesky problems.

#441 2007-12-14 09:36:30

cIclops

Congress has different concerns than GAO. Congress has political agendas whereas GAO has the job to ensure government money is properly spent. Some in Congress agree with NASA that Shuttle needs to be replaced, others  want to keep it flying, most are probably not interested. With enough funding Shuttle can be kept flying until Ares I and Orion are ready, but will Congress provide the money?

#442 2007-12-14 10:18:09

Commodore

There is no such thing as a non-partisan entity on Capital Hill.

If Congress were to provide an extra billion or so every year for the rest of the decade just for the Ares 1/Orion, the gap would be almost nothing.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#443 2007-12-14 11:58:33

cIclops

Griffin has said with $2 billion extra the gap can be closed to about three years with Ares I/Orion flying in 2013. He also said that even with a lot more funding it can't be closed much further because of the technical timeline. J-2X is the critical path element that limits what's possible.

#444 2007-12-14 13:55:03

RedStreak
Banned

I consider Congress the more finicy element as opposed to the J-2X, especially with elections coming up.

I think it is admirable that Griffen and NASA are doing their best when what they've got

#445 2007-12-20 05:28:38

cIclops

205918main_Upper_Stage_720x540.jpg
Latest design for the Upper Stage - December 2007

J-2X Powerpack Testing Status Report #1 - 19 Dec 2007

On Dec. 18, NASA began testing core components of a rocket engine from the Apollo era on the A-1 Test Stand at NASA's John C. Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Miss. Data from the tests will help NASA build the next generation engine that will power the nation's new Ares launch vehicles on voyages that will send humans to the moon.

The test was on the engine's powerpack -- a gas generator and turbopumps that perform the rocket engine's major pumping and combustion work. During the test, engineers ran liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen through the powerpack, monitoring its ducts, valves and lines to verify the tightness of seals in the oxidizer lines and pumps. Engineers also verified accuracy of the chill procedure and determined the amount of time required to chill the pumps. Initial indications are all test objectives were met with no anomalies noted.

J-2X testing has begun!

#446 2007-12-20 12:57:26

RedStreak
Banned

Something occured to me when I recalled the discussion about common bulkheads being more of a problem.  Considering there's a few hundred degree difference between the liquid point of hydrogen and liquid oxygen I see, and no doubt the engineering is tricky too but also no doubt insulation is a major factor between the two cryogenics...

...but what about common bulkheads between liquid oxygen and methane?  The two are fairly close, or at least closer than that of hydrogen and oxygen; would this make bulkheads in a LOX/CH4 system easier to deal with?  If so then it might mean Martian vehicles (and perhaps future Lunar ones) have one advantage in design.

#447 2007-12-20 14:22:20

cIclops

Cryogenic tanks require insulation anyway, a partly common bulkhead helps to reduce the surface area exposed to the ambient temperature environment, so less insulation is needed overall and mass is saved.

Methane boils at 111 K,  LOX at 90 K and LH2 at 20 K, so Methane has the least boil off of all three. Methane is cool smile

#448 2007-12-23 04:27:57

cIclops

205915main_Ares_I_Elements_720x540.jpg
December 2007

Building the J-2X Rocket Engine - (audio approx 15 mins) 5 Nov 2007

John Vilja is Pratt and Whitney Rocketdyne's Program Manager in charge of building the latest version of a rocket engine with a very distinguished legacy. He tells us about its development and how it will send us back to the Moon.

#449 2008-01-06 16:38:36

cIclops

#450 2008-01-07 03:46:25

cIclops

j2xlayoutgs8.jpg
From Progress on the J-2X Upper Stage engine (PDF 7MB) - September 2007

Composite Nozzle:

• 3D Naxeco Carbon-Carbon composite skirt from SPS with modular PWR TEG design
• Best balance of technical margin, application readiness and affordability
• Significant weight advantage and thermal risk mitigation vs. metallic designs
• Based on the RL1OB-2 flight proven configuration
• Two cone configuration to improve manufacturing throughput and reduce manufacturing risk.
• The J-2X nozzle extension will be the largest shell nozzle extension for a liquid rocket engine created to date

Board footer