New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-11-07 21:14:04

dryson

Re: Rover launch vehicle

http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3797

This is probably the most important aspect of the design. Once the decision has been made on what the diameter and length of the rover is going to be we will have to go back and first design the payload section of rocket to carry the rover to Mars. Once the general layout for the payload section has been designed we can back and tweak the payload section's structural support, then add the rocket motor and guidance systems . along with the pc operating systems that control the motor functions.

The last part of the design would be the fuel storage system.

Under Construction[/url]

#2 2007-11-08 23:56:44

Dragoneye

Re: Rover launch vehicle

ok, after reviewing the existing ships diameters and sizes and all that, it looks like i have the final measurements of everything. it looks like the standard diameter to use for tossing stuff into space is about 14' and i'm making the vehicle just over 8' in diameter (100") so we have lots of room we can use in that extra space for storage. (materials, rations, building equiptment, ect.)

length wise it looks like we will be pushing it a bit with an extra 10' because usually they are only about 30 or so feet long but i'm going for an even 40' long rover. I want to keep the vehicle on comparison to standard earth busses. (practicality)

in flight the wheels will NOT be attatched to the vehicle but when the vehicle lands it will unroll and the rover will be proped up to easily attatch the wheels and once thats finished, the motors will be started up and it is on its way. I'm still working on the layout of the parts and peices but i have a good idea how it will be setup. I'll get sketches on here asap. i'm working on the design layout right now.

Board footer