New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2007-10-05 21:41:54

samy
Banned
Website

Re: Fission power

Of late I've been toying with the idea of a fission reactor providing power for a plasma or ion thruster type engine. The real make-or-break for whether fission reactors are feasible for interstellar transportation comes from their weight. I've been able to find data on the power output, but not so much on the weight of fission reactors. I have been specifically looking at fission reactors designed to operate on vehicles, such as:

OK-150 and OK-900 are used on icebreakers and produce 90 and 171 MW respectively.

K48 used on French nuclear submarines and produces 48 MW.

S6G used on US nuclear submarines and produces 165 MW.

I just haven't been able to find any data at all about reactors' physical dimensions (how much room they require) and how much they weigh. These are rather make-or-break things, so I'd be very interested if anybody could give any ballpark figures.

#2 2007-10-06 03:20:41

cIclops

Hi samy, there has been a lot of discussion here about fission and fusion power for inspace propulsion.

Try this one

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#3 2007-10-06 08:15:44

samy
Banned
Website

Thanks! I did a search, but somehow I seem to have missed that thread! Thanks for pointing me to it! Looks like a lot of interesting stuff to read there!

#4 2007-10-06 08:29:17

cIclops

Yes the board search function is basic, hopefully Josh will add the google site search bar soon!

Meanwhile use google with "site:newmars.com/forums keywords ...."

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

Board footer