New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-01-01 16:26:09

voyager
Banned

Re: We as a civilization need a manned mission to Mars - It is a step toward where we need to be.

We as a civilization need a manned mission to Mars. It is a step toward where we need to be. When I say this, I am talking about the furthering of our civilization. Russian physicist Nikolai Kardaschev classified civilizations like this:

Type 0
- our civilization right now.
a.Chemical rockets
b.Ionic engines
c.Fission power
d.EM propulsion (rail guns)

Type I
? this civilization harnesses the energy output of an entire planet.
a.Ram-jet fusion engines
b.Photonic drive

Type II
? this civilization harnesses the energy output of a star, and generates about 10 billion times the energy output of a Type I civilization.
a.Antimatter drive
b.Von Neumann nano probes

Type III
? this civilization harnesses the energy output of a galaxy, or about 10 billion time the energy output of a Type II civilization.
a.Planck energy propulsion

A manned to Mars is absolutely necessary to further our civilization. Just as the misson to the Moon was in its day. We need to put our selfishness and egocentricy aside and focus on our future.

#2 2003-01-01 17:36:25

soph

Re: We as a civilization need a manned mission to Mars - It is a step toward where we need to be.

Before we can do this, political obstacles to space exploration must be put aside. 

how does this sound: an international space agency, funded by the UN, with countries receiving a share of the mission benefits (people on board, video, etc.) proportional to the percentage of the amount they contribute.  the agency would be funded entirely by countries, and would share the space information and equipment throughout.  this agency would be in charge of developing new, advanced systems, and exploring space.  a council of representatives from the field would vote on how the money would be allocated, not the governments (we dont want icky fear of nuclear energy or politics to get in the way), so the best results would come out.

what does everyone think?

#3 2003-01-02 07:16:11

TJohn
Banned

Not a bad idea, soph.  However, let's create an agency for that purpose other than the UN.  I've thought about that myself.  An agency dedicated strictly to space exploration and developing new ideas is a must in my book.

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#4 2003-01-02 07:42:07

soph

as i progressed in typing, i tried to get it away from UN dependence, as you might have noticed...i think my idea would work better independent, like you said, because the funding comes from outside of the UN.

#5 2003-01-02 15:31:57

Echus_Chasma
Website

Hmm, is there anyway that MS could join up with the PS and all the other various different societies to form some kind of  'Space Society'?

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#6 2003-01-02 16:29:18

soph

Yeah, I had given that thought too.  Maybe we should send a joint letter to the different space advocacy societies.   big_smile

#7 2003-01-04 23:16:10

Phobos

Problems could arise in merging these groups since a lot of them have very different goals.  I've read articles by members of the Moon Society that rip on Mars Society ideas because they think the Moon is a more logical target.  There's also a lot of people in the PS who only support robotic exploration. Of course they could still work together in general but there'll be a lot of infighting. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#8 2003-01-04 23:58:21

Crossman

I think your on the right lines but, is a yet even bigger bureaucracy what we are really after?  The US is probably going to figure that it is going to fit the largest bill, so why not just stck with NASA and joint partnerships?

Crossman

#9 2003-01-05 06:42:37

soph

nasa has to get everything approved by the government.  thats the problem-nasa is already inefficient.  if we made an organization independent from any single government controlling all operations, more could be done.

Board footer