New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#26 2007-06-01 16:53:55

X

Re: So about the environmentalists and global warming...

Over here in Germany, when they were part of the government they actually stopped construction of all nuclear plants and forced the industry to sign an agreement on closing all existing plants within some 20 years.

Y'all are supposed to scrap all your nuclear plants by 2014 according to that aren't you?  There's no way they'll replace that loss with cleaner power that's anything near as cost effective.  That never ceases to surprise me about this thing.  If CO2 emissions are as horrible as they say they are the comparatively miniscule amount of nuclear waste that is made by nuclear plants generating the same power should look like nothing.  Folks are a bit more open in some parts of the US about building them, but there's still plenty of folks deadset against nuclear plants.

#27 2007-06-02 17:02:07

Fledi

Yes, at the moment the discussion is about pushing that date further out, but there are a lot of people even against that. By the way do you know how they will replace the lost power?

Either by importing energy from neighboring countries like France (who make some 90% of theirs by nuclear plants), or sadly more likely with gas though that new pipeline, for which our former chancellor Schroeder signed an agreement before becoming one of the chief managers of the consortium building it, after he lost the election.
That consortium mainly consists of the Russian corporation Gazprom, the one that Putin is using to limit the independence of former Soviet states. The pipeline is being built in the Baltic Sea, directly connecting Russia with Germany, bypassing the Baltic States and Poland.

You know, sometimes I think I'm in the wrong movie here.

#28 2007-08-16 19:44:34

yales

"importing energy from neighboring countries like France (who make some 90% of theirs by nuclear plants"

That number is not quite correct.

The final end-user consumption energy from nuclear generated electricity in France is not 90%, it is 16%.

The bulk of end-user delivered energy in France is fossil fuel.

Do not confuse "energy" with "electricity" nor confuse "primary energy" with "final end-user consumption"

yale simkin

#29 2007-09-20 09:16:52

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Yes, at the moment the discussion is about pushing that date further out, but there are a lot of people even against that. By the way do you know how they will replace the lost power?

Either by importing energy from neighboring countries like France (who make some 90% of theirs by nuclear plants), or sadly more likely with gas though that new pipeline, for which our former chancellor Schroeder signed an agreement before becoming one of the chief managers of the consortium building it, after he lost the election.
That consortium mainly consists of the Russian corporation Gazprom, the one that Putin is using to limit the independence of former Soviet states. The pipeline is being built in the Baltic Sea, directly connecting Russia with Germany, bypassing the Baltic States and Poland.

You know, sometimes I think I'm in the wrong movie here.

Putin is an aggressive imperialist, he basically wants to rebuild the Russian Empire at his neighbor's expense. I think its a mistake to run Germany on "Dictator Power", Germany has had enough Dictators and Emperors, and it doesn't need a foreign one fed by gas revenues. I think its better that Germany burn coal than rely on some more convenient source of power thats controlled by a tyrant. Coal may be dirtier, but at least its more democratic. If the environmentalists are really concerned about the environment, they ought to find a source of energy that does not feed dictators. Freedom, to me is more important than long term global climate change.

Another subject is change, people are afraid of it, they always interpret global climate change as being for the worse with dire predictions of mass starvation and Americans fleeing their country and trying to sneak across the border into Canada, don't believe it. What makes us strong is not our climate but our people and their skills and talents. If the climate is drier then we irrigate more, that is all. If more hurricanes hit us then we build stronger buildings, if our cities get flooded we either build levies around them or build new cities. I'm much in favor of building new cities as I don't like the old ones much, they are too crowded and congested. I would like to see more larger cities with more open spaces.

Board footer