New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#376 2007-06-15 01:07:25

cIclops

Re: Ares I (CLV) - status

You are right. This is quite achievable. But, this is true only because this is hardly very hard goal to achieve. Manned access to space for less then $5 billion dollars a year after everything is designed and built. Soooo hard..

The only reason why Ares I is going to be built is political. So, if politics change, there goes Ares I to the dustbin. Ares V might be a good idea, but Ares I…

Yes it is hard, not only because the engineering is hard but also because getting the political support and funding is even harder. Even with all the information that NASA makes available, it's not easy to say how much Ares I will cost to operate but Griffin has made it clear that it must be significantly less expensive than Shuttle. The media and the politicians impose incredibly stringent standards on NASA for safety and reliability, satisfying these costs an enormous amount of money.

Ares I is being built for many reasons, the most important one is that it's the building block of the new transportation system, secondly it's to provide ISS crew transport. Without Ares I, Ares V probably won't happen and without much safer, more reliable and yes, much cheaper access beyond LEO, no exploration will happen either. Kill Ares I and say goodbye to US human exploration of the Moon, NEOs and Mars for a long long time.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#377 2007-06-19 08:16:01

cIclops

j2xlj1.jpg
J-2X details ripped from Ares Launch Vehicle Overview - Steve Cook, 22 Mar 2007 (PDF 16MB)

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#378 2007-06-21 15:05:21

cIclops

Contract for Ares I Materials - 21 Jun 2007

WASHINGTON -- NASA has authorized a contract with a maximum value of $16.7 million with Alcoa North American Rolled Products of Bettendorf, Iowa, to supply aluminum lithium plates and metal ingots for early development of the Ares I crew launch vehicles upper stage. The firm fixed-price contract has a period of performance through Aug. 5, 2008.

Real metal!

#379 2007-07-12 08:12:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

[url=http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070712/NEWS/707120366/1003/BUSINESS]A new role for Kevlar?
DuPont fabric could help strengthen foam shielding spacecraft[/url]

DuPont and NASA began informally testing Kevlar in foam following the catastrophic accident of space shuttle Columbia, which killed seven astronauts in 2003. In that accident, a chunk of foam broke off from the fuel tank during liftoff and damaged tiles on the wing, allowing fiery gases to penetrate the spacecraft on its return to Earth.

Now it looks like it will be tried elsewhere....

As NASA designs, tests and builds its next-generation spacecraft, Ares 1, it's also looking at next-generation foam technologies. Ares 1 is part of NASA's Vision for Space Exploration program expected to take humans back to the moon and later to Mars and other destinations. Flights are scheduled to the space station by 2014 and to the moon by 2020, according to NASA.

#380 2007-07-13 15:35:24

cIclops

Scott Horowitz Announces Departure - 13 Jul 2007

WASHINGTON - Scott J. "Doc" Horowitz, associate administrator for NASA's Exploration Systems Mission Directorate, has announced plans to leave the agency in October.

Horowitz, a retired U.S. Air Force colonel who served as commander or pilot on four space shuttle missions, now leads NASA's efforts to develop the new family of spacecraft that will return astronauts to the moon by 2020.

Horowitz is stepping down for personal reasons. "I need to devote more attention to my family responsibilities," the father of three young children told colleagues this week. "I am very proud of our team and where we are headed - back to the moon," he added.

Horowitz' career plans are not certain. His successor will be named later.

In accepting Horowitz' resignation, NASA Administrator Michael Griffin praised the veteran astronaut's tireless contribution to the Vision for Space Exploration.

"Doc Horowitz has been the key person for NASA's exploration effort during the critical period immediately following definition of the architecture for shuttle replacement and lunar return," Griffin said.

"The Ares I crew launch vehicle concept is Doc's brainchild, a fact that crews launching safely a generation from now will remember with gratitude," the administrator continued. "Doc brought to NASA the perfect combination of integrity, drive, intelligence, engineering intuition, advanced education and flight crew experience. I am grateful for his contributions and his friendship, which will live on for both of us."

Prior to being named associate administrator for exploration in September 2005, Horowitz was director of exploration and space transportation at ATK, Brigham City, Utah. Previously, Horowitz worked as the acting deputy associate administrator for safety and mission assurance at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

Horowitz was an Air Force test pilot, F-15 fighter pilot and master flight instructor. He has worked as a scientist at Lockheed-Georgia Co., Marietta, Ga. He holds doctorate and master's degrees in aerospace engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta and a bachelor's degree in engineering from California State University at Northridge.

#381 2007-07-13 15:46:11

cIclops

Boeing to Bid for Ares I Instrument Unit Avionics Contract - 13 Jul 2007

Boeing will submit its final IUA proposal July 30 -- just eight weeks after NASA issued its initial request. NASA plans to select an IUA contractor in November.

<snip>

The IUA, which guides the rocket into orbit, consists of onboard computers, flight controls, communications equipment, gyroscopes and other instruments and their associated software for monitoring the rocket's speed and position while supporting safe assembly, check-out and flight operation.

#382 2007-07-16 14:47:04

cIclops

Upper Stage Engine Contract for Ares Rockets - 16 Jul 2007

WASHINGTON - NASA has signed a $1.2 billion contract with Pratt and Whitney Rocketdyne Inc., of Canoga Park, Calif., for design, development, testing and evaluation of the J-2X engine that will power the upper stages of the Ares I and Ares V launch vehicles.

The contract includes ground and test flight engines. It continues work that began on June 2, 2006, under a preliminary letter contract with Pratt and Whitney Rocketdyne.

NASA awarded the cost-plus-award fee contract to Pratt and Whitney Rocketdyne on a sole-source basis, NASA determined that no other existing capability meets its architecture requirements and is able to be extended to future exploration missions to the moon and beyond.

The contract performance period extends through Dec. 31, 2012. Engines for operational missions will be purchased through a separate contract.

The J-2X is an evolved version of two historic predecessors: the powerful J-2 engine that propelled the Apollo-era Saturn IB and Saturn V rockets, and the J-2S, a simplified version of the J-2 that was developed and tested in the early 1970s. Pratt and Whitney Rocketdyne designed and developed both the J-2 and the J-2S and has been responsible for producing, refurbishing and improving them. The J-2X engine will incorporate significant upgrades to meet higher performance and reliability requirements for the Ares vehicles.

#383 2007-07-17 20:43:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

J2 contract history:

$50m contract for moon engine development

NASA has awarded a contract worth $50 million to Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne for the development, testing and evaluation of the J-2X engine.

The contract with the Californian company runs from June 2 through to November 30, surrounding the Systems Requirements Review scheduled for September and a Systems Design Review in October.

Now they get another $1.2 billion just to make a few for the test vehicles and then they will get a new contract for more... Gee what a way to do business... I am sure with a little digging we can come up from the other previous released timelines how many engines this will be to get a per unit cost....

#384 2007-07-18 04:55:00

cIclops

Now they get another $1.2 billion just to make a few for the test vehicles and then they will get a new contract for more... Gee what a way to do business... I am sure with a little digging we can come up from the other previous released timelines how many engines this will be to get a per unit cost....

This is the primary engine development contract, it covers all the engineering design, development work and testing needed to produce an operational engine. J-2X will be human rated and as a critical element of Ares I and Ares V it has to be extremely reliable. According to NASA it must meet the requirements: LOC 1 in 8000 and LOM 1 in 1250, these are demanding requirements and therefore expensive. Production engine unit cost has not been stated.

#385 2007-07-18 09:18:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

While the safety requirements are important did the original J2 achieve these same set of values?
NASA drops Ares I upper stage J-2XD engine version

#386 2007-07-18 13:11:24

cIclops

While the safety requirements are important did the original J2 achieve these same set of values?

Those LOC and LOM values are calculated. Engines rarely if ever have enough flights to achieve those values. J-2 was human rated and flew many times but nowhere near 1250 times. There was at least one failure on Apollo 6 (unmanned). Historic values are the best guide but new vehicles have no  launch history. However, calculated values are better than nothing and are useful to compare designs. Shuttle has a LOC rate of 1 in 59.  This is why it is so important that Ares I has significantly improved safety.

#387 2007-07-20 21:59:07

cIclops

aresiaquisitionscheduleot6.jpg
Contract award dates from the Langley Exploration Day event - 18 Jul 2007 (from NASA TV)

During the press briefing Scott Horowitz confirmed that the first stage contract would be awarded this month, the Upper stage during August and the avionics unit by the end of 2007.

Space Exploration Day video - (44:38 mins) 18 Jul 2007

Animation of LAS and parachute deployment sequence (video 1:03 mins / 9MB)

Media from the event

#388 2007-07-23 21:54:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

More contract money....
ATK Awarded Additional Orion Launch Abort System (LAS) Motor Contract Valued at Approximately $70 Million

The work on the ACM will be performed at ATK facilities in Elkton, MD.

ATK will lead an industry team including Moog, Inc., Buffalo, NY and Fiber Materials, Inc., Biddeford, ME in the development of the attitude control motor.

The Fiber Materials place in Maine makes nozzles....

#389 2007-07-27 18:09:22

cIclops

183235main_Pad-39B-Ares-I-Orion_05_330.jpg
Lightning Protection System Contractor selected - 27 Jul 2007

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - NASA has selected Ivey's Construction Inc. of Merritt Island, Fla., to build a new lightning protection system for Launch Pad 39B at the Kennedy Space Center. The system will support launches of the Constellation Program's Ares I rockets.

The lightning protection system is designed to reduce the probability of a direct lightning strike to the Ares I and associated launch equipment during processing and other activities prior to flight.

Under the contract, the company will provide all labor and materials to fabricate and construct three 600-foot, self-supporting structural steel towers and an overhead wire system with associated conductors.

Ivey's Construction Inc. will receive a fixed-price contract for $27,915,000. The system is expected to be complete by March 2010.

#390 2007-08-01 06:38:40

Yang Liwei Rocket

Joseph P. Gavin has come out with remarks that seem to be anti-Moon and kind of pessimistic. The remarks are similar in tone to those made by John Young, unfortunatley that post has been lost when ciclops admitted deleting it.

If I find another article on 'the stick' I'll post it here

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#391 2007-08-01 16:17:22

cIclops

Alliant Techsystems Is Set For NASA Rocket Contract - 1 Aug 2007

LOS ANGELES -- A team led by Alliant Techsystems Inc., one of the big winners so far in the U.S. government's renewed manned space exploration efforts, is expected to sign a design and development contract for proposed Ares I solid-rocket boosters valued at more than $1.5 billion, industry officials said.

#392 2007-08-02 15:35:17

cIclops

183722main_egress01_516.jpg
Concept image of the new configuration of KSC launch pad 39B

#393 2007-08-05 14:15:33

cIclops

#394 2007-08-31 05:34:23

cIclops

Status update from 10 Aug 2007:

First Stage Contract awarded

WASHINGTON - NASA has signed a $1.8 billion contract with Alliant Techsystems, known as ATK, located near Brigham City, Utah, for the design, development, testing, and evaluation of the first stage of the Ares I and Ares V launch vehicles.

This contract continues work that began on April 17, 2006, and includes delivery of five ground static test motors, two ground vibration test articles and four flight test stages, including one for the Ares I-X test flight.

NASA awarded the cost-plus-award-fee contract to ATK on a sole-source basis. The contract performance period extends through Dec. 31, 2014. First stage boosters for operational missions will be purchased through a separate contract.

ATK and its subcontractors possess the unique engineering capabilities for successful design and development of the first stage of the Ares I crew launch vehicle. The current space shuttle solid rocket booster is the only solid rocket booster manufactured in the United States that possesses both the required capabilities and safety margins necessary for the launch of a human-rated exploration space vehicle. These solid rocket boosters consistently have proven their capabilities and demonstrated reliability needed for the human exploration missions.

The Ares I first stage will be a five-segment solid rocket booster based on the four-segment design used for the shuttle. The basic design will draw on current hardware, facilities and manufacturing equipment qualified for human-rated solid rocket boosters.

The first stage will incorporate modifications to the current booster that are unique to the Ares I architecture to meet higher performance and reliability requirements for the Ares vehicles. Modifications include the additional segment and new solid rocket booster components.

This marks the completion of the contract award for the first stage following the initial contract extension 5 Jan 2007

#395 2007-08-31 11:48:44

cIclops

185555main_Ist_stage_3_516.jpg
Current first stage concept image - 10 Aug 2007

#396 2007-09-01 02:31:18

cIclops

aresiusci4.jpg
Current Upper Stage concept image (ripped from NASA TV press conference) - 28 Aug 2007

Upper Stage Production Contractor selected

WASHINGTON - NASA on Tuesday selected The Boeing Co., Huntsville, Ala., as the contractor to provide manufacturing support for design and construction of the upper stage of the Ares I rocket. Ares I will launch astronauts to the International Space Station and eventually help return humans to the moon.

Boeing will provide support to a NASA-led design team during the design phase and will be responsible for production of the Ares I upper stage. Boeing will manufacture a ground test article, three flight test units and six production flight units to support NASA's flight manifest through 2016. Final assembly of the upper stage will take place at NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans.

The contract type is cost-plus-award-fee and the period of performance is Sept. 1, 2007, through Dec. 31, 2016. The estimated contract value for design team support and the manufacture of the test units and six production flight units is $514.7 million. The selection resulted from a full and open competition.

News  Conference (video 41:04 mins) - Doug Cooke, Jeff Hanley, Steve Cook and Danny Davis

Notes from the conference:

September 2007 will see:
o Ares I SDR
o J-2X PDR
o First stage recovery parachute (4.6 meter) drop tests

Upper stage details:
o 25.6m long by 5.5m diameter with 138 mT of propellant
o Al-Li self reacted friction stir welded orthogrid structure tanks
o Composite interstage
o 6 times larger than any currently flying upper stage
o First stage separation after 125 seconds at 96 km and Mach 5.8
o Upper stage cut off after 591 secs at 130 km in - 20 x 185 km orbit
o Orbit designed to let US impact in Indian Ocean
o Orion SM circularizes orbit at apogee and raises to EDS/ISS

Costs:
Development contract is $515m
IDIQ (Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity) option for $275m
Production option for 12 units $335m ($28m per unit)
Total contract value if all options exercised: $1.125B

o NASA owned design allows future fixed price procurement, similar approach will be used for EDS, Ares V and Lunar Lander

#397 2007-09-04 10:46:15

cIclops

Boeing Won Ares Upper Stage On Cost

Sep 4, 2007

By Jefferson Morris/Aerospace Daily & Defense Report

Boeing's winning proposal to produce the upper stage of NASA's Ares I rocket prevailed because of its "significantly" lower projected cost, despite rival ATK's proposal rating higher on technical merits, according to a NASA source selection document.

NASA announced Boeing's win of the up to $1.125 billion contract last week (DAILY, Aug. 29). ATK's final proposal received a technical rating of "excellent," whereas Boeing's received a final rating of "very good." Both teams were rated excellent in past performance history.

"However, the cost evaluation revealed some very clear distinctions between the two proposals," wrote Doug Cooke, deputy associate administrator for exploration systems and source selection authority. "In this area, Boeing held the greatest advantage because both the proposed cost and the most probable cost were significantly lower than ATK's proposed cost."

Cooke didn't view the difference in technical content as sufficient to justify ATK's steeper price tag. Boeing's cost advantages sprang from reduced overhead and administrative costs, as well as its approach to material handling, according to the document. The Boeing bid included a flat supplier chain with minimal management tiers, which simplifies communication, reduces cost and helps avoid schedule delay, Cooke wrote.

Boeing's proposed engineering staffing mix also was "very well suited" to support production of the NASA-designed upper stage, whereas ATK's proposed staffing mix seemed better suited for a contractor-designed upper stage, according to Cooke.

Boeing also demonstrated "a mature understanding of the requirements and proposed to infuse lean processes and tools from its commercial product line" Cooke wrote, citing the Boeing 737 aircraft line and the Delta rocket, which should help the team optimize the producibility of the stage, lower its unit cost and improve schedule flexibility.

Boeing's cost approach is not without added risk, and the evaluation board rated ATK's projected costs at a higher level of confidence. "However, this additional level of risk is acceptable in light of the overall cost savings associated with the Boeing proposal," Cooke wrote.

#398 2007-09-07 09:38:49

RedStreak
Banned

Figures cheaper cost wins out over all else...  roll

I'm hoping Boeing won't be the Achille's heal of Ares I...and I say that in light of the ISS which Boeing is chiefly responsible for.  However, in fairness, it's probably more the fault of international partners and poor NASA management that the ISS became such a white elephant.

Anything else left for Ares/Orion?

#399 2007-09-07 11:06:07

cIclops

Figures cheaper cost wins out over all else...  roll

I'm hoping Boeing won't be the Achille's heal of Ares I...and I say that in light of the ISS which Boeing is chiefly responsible for.  However, in fairness, it's probably more the fault of international partners and poor NASA management that the ISS became such a white elephant.

Anything else left for Ares/Orion?

All they have to do now is build it smile oh and there's one final contract for the Instrument unit that sits at the top of the upper stage.

Yes to be fair most of Boeing's ISS hardware has worked fine, the main delays were caused by the late delivery of the Zvezda service module and then by the Shuttle disasters. It's certainly succeeded so far as an international project and as an engineering marvel. Whether it succeeds as a laboratory only time will tell once it is complete. What mistakes did NASA management make?

#400 2007-09-08 09:35:22

cIclops

aresienginetgoodog2.jpg
Engine test plan - ripped from Draft PEIS (PDF 22MB) - Aug 2007

Note the high number of J-2X tests (301) v 5 Seg SRB (5)

Board footer