New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-10-29 10:26:36

dickbill

Re: On To Mars - Dickbill declaration

I said it before, there is no choice but Mars. And this is gonna be announced soon or later, but because I don't want Dubya Bush to take the credit for it, I, Dickbill, member of the Mars Society and of the New Mars Forum, take the initiative to offcially announce it. Here I dictate to Dubya, everything Dubya say it's because  I told him to do so.

Repeat after me Dubya:

"We, the Great people of America, have proved in the past that we are able to undertake great challenges. In the course of Our History, we have not been afraid to go where Men have never been before, on the Moon. Now it's time to lead the World again, so I am happy to announce that once again, America accepts a new challenge, that before the end of  this decade, a Man will walk on the next planet, MArs.

Thank you."

Well, any member of this forum is welcome to modify and improve what Dubya will have to say.

#2 2003-10-29 12:07:34

clark

big_smile Here's my shot: 

"Before there was this great land called America, there was a dream. Before our nation soared through, and above the heavens, there was a dream. So to, as we push forward the boundaries of mankind's reach and vision, there is a dream.

And from the realization of our dreams came wonder, came challenge, came triumph. In each instance, our nation has struggled from humble beginnings to the lofty heights of success. We let not adversity, nor fear, sway us from our course.

Ours is a constant star in the ever-changing constellation of time and events. Ours is a path towards a greater future, and a better tommorrow than today, for all.

It is with this charge that I declare the United States of America's intent to place a man on Mars, and return him safely home by 2025.

Our intent is to achieve that which has never been done, not because it will be easy, but because it will be hard. Let us, together, united, as one people, challenge not only ourselves, but our future.

Let our generation's legacy span this world, and the next; so that one day, all of mankind can look to the heavens, knowing that before this, was a dream.

Thank you, and may god bless America."

#3 2003-10-29 12:34:44

dickbill

OK, that's much better than mine. I hope Dubya reads this forum, because I don't want him to think he is the first to announce, indeed, the first Mars manned mission has been announced on this forum, today, October 29th 2003.
A great date in humankind history.

But it's OK Dubya if you copy some of our ideas and text, however, I ask you to quote the New Mars forum in the future.

(hmmm Clark, 2025 ? are you sure ?)

#4 2003-10-29 12:45:19

clark

2003, today. That leaves 22 years. If the Mars refrence mission takes an estimated 55 billion, that comes out to about 2-3 billion a year- totally doable.

This is for a sustained effort though. Anything less, anything faster, and we will end up back where we started. Just like Apollo.

I would like for us to go now, yesterday even. But more than that, I want us to stay. For that, I am willing to wait.  big_smile

#5 2003-10-29 12:59:43

dickbill

2003, today. That leaves 22 years. If the Mars refrence mission takes an estimated 55 billion, that comes out to about 2-3 billion a year- totally doable.

This is for a sustained effort though. Anything less, anything faster, and we will end up back where we started. Just like Apollo.

I would like for us to go now, yesterday even. But more than that, I want us to stay. For that, I am willing to wait.  big_smile

allright, but you should send your text to somebody in the Bush administration. It' spretty good, I doubt that GWB can do better.
Rather be Clark to write that text than Condy or an obscure administrative ignorant of Martian affairs !

#6 2003-10-29 13:04:18

clark

Thanks Dickbill. big_smile

Oh, and it's Mars-an.  :;):

#7 2003-10-29 19:23:15

Cobra Commander

Or Dubya could just dust off his Dad's declaration. Damn Congress... :angry:

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#8 2003-10-29 19:46:11

Shaun Barrett

Clark:-

Anything less, anything faster, and we will end up back where we started. Just like Apollo.

I tend to take a more optimistic line. I believe Mars Direct, with perhaps a few very minor modifications, is eminently doable within ten to fifteen years. Costs needn't be great and the infrastructure of a long-term human presence on Mars automatically accompanies the program.
                                                       smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#9 2003-10-30 09:15:52

dickbill

Q: Who is Dubya ?

George Doubleya. Bush

By the way, the world should know that the New Mars forum has annouced the first manned mission.

#10 2003-10-30 10:21:20

Josh Cryer

Does this mean I lost the bet???  ???

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#11 2003-10-30 11:03:14

Palomar

I said it before, there is no choice but Mars. And this is gonna be announced soon or later, but because I don't want Dubya Bush to take the credit for it, I, Dickbill, member of the Mars Society and of the New Mars Forum, take the initiative to offcially announce it. Here I dictate to Dubya, everything Dubya say it's because  I told him to do so.

Repeat after me Dubya:

"We, the Great people of America, have proved in the past that we are able to undertake great challenges. In the course of Our History, we have not been afraid to go where Men have never been before, on the Moon. Now it's time to lead the World again, so I am happy to announce that once again, America accepts a new challenge, that before the end of  this decade, a Man will walk on the next planet, MArs.

Thank you."

Well, any member of this forum is welcome to modify and improve what Dubya will have to say.

*Dickbill rules; Dubya drools.

And your being French, Dickbill, I'd love to see Dubya read this...and watch the steam whistle out of his ears, LOL. 

Put it on fake letterhead "From the Desk of Jacques Chirac" and mail it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

--Cindy  cool

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#12 2003-10-30 12:31:06

dickbill

*Dickbill rules; Dubya drools.

yeah, I know.

nd your being French, Dickbill, I'd love to see Dubya read this...and watch the steam whistle out of his ears, LOL. 

Put it on fake letterhead "From the Desk of Jacques Chirac" and mail it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

French are more refined (that's an old stereotype not true anymore, but it serves my purpose), so Jack would say something like:

"We the great people of Paris (notice that France is reduced to Paris ) need a great Challenge at Our Grandeur, since George Dubya want to sent a man on Mars before 2025, We decide to do bigger: send all the suburbian people of Paris, which cause great trouble and noise and odor, to Epsilon Eridany, by the end of this millinenium "

#13 2003-10-30 20:16:10

Palomar

I personally won't mind if Dubya takes full credit for the first crewed expedition to Mars--why should anyone who wants it to happen enough? If he actually is able to make it happen I even think we should offer, right now, to name the first Mars settlement after him: Bush City. I'm without shame, in this regard.

*No way.

Dicktice, I agree with you in many respects, and what I know of you -- well, you seem like a nice, interesting fellow.

Bush City?  Yeah, in Texas -- go for it. 

On Mars?  I actually felt a quiver of revolt in my stomach. 

I'd be opposed to even a pea-sized crater on the ugliest asteroid in the solar system being named after him.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#14 2003-10-31 08:13:46

dicktice

Okay, Cindy, perhaps I went too far (blame it on desperation), so I've deleted the thing I wrote regarding you know who.

Board footer