New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-01-17 16:42:05

CaptJTorriani

My first post - My personal interest in Mars exploration

Hi all, this is my first post in the NewMars Forum.

First of all thanks for accepting me, I'm really excited about being part of this community. I'm studying a MSc in Autonomous Systems of Aerial and Underwater Navigation in Mexico City; science is one of my greatest passions (I'm also passionate about robotics, arts and cooking).

Today I want to share with you my personal interest in Mars exploration:

I've always been a curious person, I'm always trying to understand how everything works; making questions and thinking about other worlds and outer space. When I ask myself things like: "Is there life on other planets?", "Are you sure there are only 118 chemical elements?" my mind gets this profound desire of solving for these unknowns (or at least help in someway). I want to contribute to the development of the humankind through science and technology- so I'd say the main reason is for the sake of discovery and scientific development. 

The other day I watched this ultra-4k panoramic video of Mars (the one from Curiosity), and thought: "I wish I was born in the year 3020, when there probably will be human cities on Mars". Then I thought "Well, at least I wasn't born a thousand years ago when people thought the Earth was flat! tongue)
This led me to the following reflection: "Maybe we are not on Mars yet, but we are in a key era where all the scientific developments we make will determine whether or not the humankind will succeed to conquer other planets."

So I'm determined to learn and apply all the knowledge I get from my studies, to research ways of using autonomous vehicles on Mars in order to explore the terrain, move supplies from one place to another, and, hopefully, to aid humans once we get there.

Once again thanks for accepting me, my purpose is to become really involved in the Forum (I'm adjusting my schedule to do so). I'm really looking forward to connecting with people from all around the globe who are as passionate as I am about Mars and science in general. I'd really like to know about you, folks: Where are you from? What are your personal interests in Mars exploration?

Last edited by CaptJTorriani (2021-01-17 16:48:55)

#2 2021-01-17 17:22:26

GW Johnson
Website

Re: My first post - My personal interest in Mars exploration

Welcome to the NewMars forums!

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#3 2021-01-17 17:39:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nice first post CaptJTorriani and Welcome to NewMars.

Yes the dream of living on mars is alive with the efforts and desires to achieve the goal of landing, surviving, sustain a presence of man on mars.

#4 2021-01-17 19:13:09

louis

Hi JT!

Some points  for you to reflect on perhaps:

1. Space travel itself is pretty sraightfirward compared with say navigating odeans on Earth.   

2. The key problem areas are ascent/acceleration and descent/deceleration.

3. I think Musk has the solution for travel to Mars not least because the Starship is going to be a very versatile draft that serve other purposes e,G,  lunar landings,  satellite launches and ISS resupply,

4. There will be sizeable human settlements on Mars within 20 years. 

CaptJTorriani wrote:

Hi all, this is my first post in the NewMars Forum.

First of all thanks for accepting me, I'm really excited about being part of this community. I'm studying a MSc in Autonomous Systems of Aerial and Underwater Navigation in Mexico City; science is one of my greatest passions (I'm also passionate about robotics, arts and cooking).

Today I want to share with you my personal interest in Mars exploration:

I've always been a curious person, I'm always trying to understand how everything works; making questions and thinking about other worlds and outer space. When I ask myself things like: "Is there life on other planets?", "Are you sure there are only 118 chemical elements?" my mind gets this profound desire of solving for these unknowns (or at least help in someway). I want to contribute to the development of the humankind through science and technology- so I'd say the main reason is for the sake of discovery and scientific development. 

The other day I watched this ultra-4k panoramic video of Mars (the one from Curiosity), and thought: "I wish I was born in the year 3020, when there probably will be human cities on Mars". Then I thought "Well, at least I wasn't born a thousand years ago when people thought the Earth was flat! tongue)
This led me to the following reflection: "Maybe we are not on Mars yet, but we are in a key era where all the scientific developments we make will determine whether or not the humankind will succeed to conquer other planets."

So I'm determined to learn and apply all the knowledge I get from my studies, to research ways of using autonomous vehicles on Mars in order to explore the terrain, move supplies from one place to another, and, hopefully, to aid humans once we get there.

Once again thanks for accepting me, my purpose is to become really involved in the Forum (I'm adjusting my schedule to do so). I'm really looking forward to connecting with people from all around the globe who are as passionate as I am about Mars and science in general. I'd really like to know about you, folks: Where are you from? What are your personal interests in Mars exploration?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#5 2021-01-19 11:43:35

tahanson43206

For CaptJT in Post #1

Thanks again for joining the forum ...

May I offer a suggestion?  in your post, you said:

The information about each current member (and many former ones) is available for study in the archive, going back 20+ years.

The series of posts by Louis (to take just one example) is rewarding reading ... Louis pretends to have no knowledge of science or engineering, so he has succeeded in provoking members to create amazing posts about deeply technical subjects.

Instead, I'm hoping you might be willing to use your posts to advance the agenda of the group as a whole, of your own interests of course, but also those of members who've initiated worth while projects that deserve to be supported.

I suggested you read a series of posts by Dr. Johnson (GW Johnson) so you might get a sense of his personality and experience.  Dr. Johnson publishes a very impressive (to me for sure) set of blog entries using Wordpress.com.  Those would take up many hours to read, but the effort might be worth while, because Dr. Johnson covers history in general in addition to aerospace topics.

In addition, I suggested you (try) to read the topic by RobertDyck about Large Ships from the top.  This is an exhausting undertaking, and you may not be able to find the time for it, but it is the reason why I think this group has a decent chance of making an impression on the flow of the future.

The Large Ship imagined by RobertDyck will need a Captain, and your choice of the model for your member iD inspires me to wonder if you can imagine yourself as the Master of either the first of the RobertDyck designed vessels, or one of the later ones.

I am looking at this point, for new members who are willing to take on leadership positions in shaping the future.

This world has far too many folks who are only qualified to hold jobs.  What is needed are more folks who have the combination of capabilities that enable them to create jobs.

I read recently about a (very) young gent who just took a high tech company from nothing at all to going public.  This company had 500 employees in 2018, and no doubt many more today.

You (may) have the capability of creating a company like that, due to your interest in automation.

I can only speak for my self (of course) but ** I ** would certainly like to be in a cheering squad for you if you decide to be so bold.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-19 11:45:03)

#6 2021-01-19 12:51:00

Calliban

Welcome to New Mars forums CaptJT.  I look forward to reading your contributions.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

Board footer