New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-09-28 14:30:35

tahanson43206

Lattice Fusion

For SpaceNut .... this new topic is specifically about the (relatively new) focus in fusion research, called "lattice fusion" to distinguish it from other attempts to create usable fusion energy.

The essence of the idea (as I understand it) is to pack a metal lattice with Deuterium, so that the Deuterium is far more dense than is possible with magnetic confinement.

Apparently NASA has invested in the reported research:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-doubles … 00418.html

The topic was brought up recently in another topic, but I thought it deserves its own topic.

(th)

#2 2020-09-28 14:46:07

louis

Re: Lattice Fusion

It's just another word for cold fusion or LENR ("low energy nuclear reactions"). There are several teams working on the technology around the world. I think something real is being chased here but it is something rather elusive.  In the early days of electricity being identified as a set of related phenomena scientists  struggled to make sense of how it worked. Something similar may be happening with LENR.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#3 2020-09-28 15:11:18

tahanson43206

Re: Lattice Fusion

For Louis re #2

Thank you for your interesting evaluation of the "Lattice Fusion" concept.

I have no idea if you are right or not, so I submitted a contact form request to NASA Glenn, asking if they could possibly point to a publication that would explain the difference, if there is one.

I suppose it is possible that the entire LENR controversy caused some serious research to happen.  The impression I've had for a while is that the entire episode was so poorly received that anyone having anything to do with it was tainted.

To help out, if you feel like pursuing this a bit, please see if you can find an explanation (suitable for publication is this forum) of what LENR is, assuming it ** is ** anything at all.

Edit#1: I got a reply from NASA Glenn ... it was (apparently) a reply from an AI ... no human could have made such a mistake ....

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the NASA Glenn Research Center. Your inquiry about a meteorite was forward to our office. With the center being closed to the public due to COVID 19, would it be possible to send some pictures of what you found? We would be happy to forward the pictures to the right person to see if it can be identified.

Best Regards,

NASA Glenn Research Center Comment Team

That's disappointing, but it's the world we live in.

(th)

Board footer