New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-06-15 11:17:52

Void

Potential Age Reversal Methods

Any age reversal method could be considered life support.  Could be used on Earth if it works, and make people on Mars and in space in general be less of a burden as they age.  Hopefully we will not need that much of elder care facilities on Mars.

Moderator, I don't mind if you move this.  Suit yourself.

This could be very good news.  Hopefully humans respond to it as well.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06- … issue.html
Quote:

Diluting blood plasma rejuvenates tissue, reverses aging in mice

Quite a surprise.  If proven true, then it is not factors in donated blood plasma from young people that could help old people, it is to remove some of the junk from the blood, and then reboot the stem cell replenishment within the older person.  A much better option.

Though not strictly the same, the removal of senescent cells is perhaps a related therapy.
https://siimland.com/how-to-remove-sene … and-aging/
Senescent cells are inflammatory, it is thought that their removal could be helpful to an aging person.

It would seem possible that to a degree, as long as you have enough stem cells, removal of old plasma factors, and senescent cells could do a person a lot of good.  More proof is needed, but it is an avenue being looked at.

And it's good news for the young also, because unless they die from some cause prematurely they too will get old one day.

Stem cell therapy will need to be further developed along with this.  Some times you can run out of cells. 
https://www.moretoparkinsons.com/?utm_s … t=Homepage

I believe that stem cell therapy for Parkinson's is pretty advanced already.
http://www.stemcelltherapyplus.com/?msc … 44be20ead2

So, a good day.

Evolution cares much less about us after fertility is gone.  Certain activities of the old, could help their offspring in an evolutionary contest, but something like your blood accumulating toxic junk, apparently is not addressed in a normal life.

I suppose, to a degree, human interference with the process might slow human evolution down.  Not getting the old people out of the way, might not allow future generations to evolve in certain directions as fast.  But unless we loose civilization and technology, I think we are moving beyond evolution as the primary changer of our natures.

There are those who think that the old should go back to work then if they are in a situation of restored health.  But I think with robotics and automation likely to produce a world of material abundance, I think it is better for the young to learn from work, and have those jobs.

Some of the old will work every day that they can.  But I think it may be socially useful for the old to get out of the way, and yet be a repository of previous methods and solutions.  Maybe a part time job for the older people.  Avoiding stress, which is also a killer for the physically challenged.

Done

Last edited by Void (2020-06-15 12:01:24)

Done.

#2 2020-06-24 14:58:01

Void

Re: Potential Age Reversal Methods

I liked this article.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06- … tment.html
Quote:

Researchers destroy cancer cells with ultrasound treatment

An international research team led by Dr. Tali Ilovitsh of the Biomedical Engineering Department at Tel Aviv University developed a noninvasive technology platform for gene delivery into breast cancer cells. The technique combines ultrasound with tumor-targeted microbubbles. Once the ultrasound is activated, the microbubbles explode like smart and targeted warheads, creating holes in cancer cells' membranes, enabling gene delivery. Conducted over two years, the research was published on June 9 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

Dr. Ilovitsh developed this breakthrough technology during her post-doctorate research at the lab of Prof. Katherine Ferrara at Stanford University. The technique utilizes low frequency ultrasound (250 kHz) to detonate microscopic tumor-targeted bubbles. In vivo, cell destruction reached 80% of tumor cells.
"Microbubbles are microscopic bubbles filled with gas, with a diameter as small as one tenth of a blood vessel," Dr. Ilovitsh explains. "At certain frequencies and pressures, sound waves cause the microbubbles to act like balloons: they expand and contract periodically. This process increases the transfer of substances from the blood vessels into the surrounding tissue. We discovered that using lower frequencies than those applied previously, microbubbles can significantly expand, until they explode violently. We realized that this discovery could be used as a platform for cancer treatment and started to inject microbubbles into tumors directly."
Dr. Ilovitsh and the rest of the team used tumor-targeted microbubbles that were attached to tumor cells' membranes at the moment of the explosion, and injected them directly into tumors in a mouse model. "About 80% of tumor cells were destroyed in the explosion, which was positive on its own," says Dr. Ilovitsh. "The targeted treatment, which is safe and cost-effective, was able to destroy most of the tumor. However, it is not enough. In order to prevent the remaining cancer cells to spread, we needed to destroy all of the tumor cells. That is why we injected an immunotherapy gene alongside the microbubbles, which acts as a Trojan horse, and signaled the immune system to attack the cancer cell."
On its own, the gene cannot enter into the cancer cells. However, this gene aimed to enhance the immune system was co-injected together with the microbubbles. Membrane pores were formed in the remaining 20% of the cancer cells that survived the initial explosion, allowing the entry of the gene into the cells. This triggered an immune response that destroyed the cancer cell.
"The majority of cancer cells were destroyed by the explosion, and the remaining cells consumed the immunotherapy gene through the holes that were created in their membranes," Dr. Ilovitsh explains. "The gene caused the cells to produce a substance that triggered the immune system to attack the cancer cell. In fact, our mice had tumors on both sides of their bodies. Despite the fact that we conducted the treatment only on one side, the immune system attacked the distant side as well."
Dr. Ilovitsh says that in the future she intends to attempt using this technology as a noninvasive treatment for brain-related diseases such as brain tumors and other neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. "The blood-brain barrier does not allow for medications to penetrate through, but microbubbles can temporary open the barrier, enabling the arrival of the treatment to the target area without the need for an invasive surgical intervention."

Many life extension people regard cancer as one of seven or one of nine aging problems.

So, they inject tiny bubbles into the problem area, I presume in the case of a solid tumor, explode them with low frequency sound, and then that kills about 80% of the cancer cells.

Then they wake up the immune system, rat out the cancer cells, and the results apparently are good.

Where this is for breast cancer I am happy.  I lost a cousin, who was a childhood friend.  Would much prefer that she were still a person that I would see from time to time.  A loss for my family. 

Very few men get breast cancer, but just a few.  And then I wonder about other cancers such as prostrate cancer, which I may have issues with eventually.  Much better than cutting things up.

Much better than chemotherapy.

Some small amount of children get cancer, which is unfortunate.  If they are treated and cured with chemotherapy, by about 50, they get premature aging symptoms, such as another cancer, diabetes, or cardiovascular problems.  Don't like that.

This could be better for solid tumors.  Good woman/person for sure, good work.

Point is I also get annoyed by the Roman process that has been inflicted on our society, divide and conquer.  Gender malice.  Don't like that or them either.

But a very good woman.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-24 15:08:28)

Done.

#3 2020-06-24 19:51:28

RobertDyck
Website

Sounds good. I keep asking why we can't have telomerase as a treatment. Google "telomerase delivery", there is some work, but it's still not available.

#4 2020-06-25 09:55:52

Void

Robert,

You might query for "Bill Andrews".  He has done a lot of work about your questions.  He also does from time to time mention products, that might help.  His earlier work was chemical.  Now he is turning towards gene therapy I think, where they do hope to extend them.

He does from time to time speak of products that might be found on the market.  His video's are interesting to me.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-25 09:57:32)

Done.

#5 2020-06-25 11:11:18

RobertDyck
Website

Ironic. I was leaning to gene therapy, now I'm looking at chemical. My idea for gene therapy was an activation sequence. The sheep "Dolly" was engineered to produce a pharmaceutical from humans, but to ensure it didn't interfere with the sheep's body or metabolism, it was produced in milk. To do that they created an activation sequence; when the sheep's genes for milk are activated, the new gene is activated as well. That tells me they know how to activate a gene. The human body already has a gene to produce telomerase, but it's only expressed during meiosis, which is the special cell division that produces a gamete cell (sperm or ovum). My idea is to add an activation sequence so that gene is expressed with mitosis, which is regular cell division. Telomeres are shortened during cell division, so that's when we need to repair them. The problem is how to apply gene therapy to an adult?

#6 2020-06-25 13:21:58

Void

I am a spectator.  I can only parrot things on these subjects.

Liz Parresh: (Had gene therapy for that to some types of her cells).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Li … &FORM=VIRE

Done.

#7 2020-06-25 14:45:15

Terraformer
Website

The problem is how to apply gene therapy to an adult?

Extract bone marrow cells, modify them, and return them to the bone. Rejuvenate the blood, rejuvenate the body.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#8 2020-06-25 16:31:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

That is where we are with Leukemia but you become very sick when the immune system is basically killed to be able to rebuild it.

#9 2020-06-25 19:06:48

Void

I have periodically followed:
Aubrey De Grey
Bill Andrews
Liz Perrish
George Church
Bill Falloon (A rather strange one with a strange church, but he makes some sense)

So, I have smidgens of their notions.
I do not think it is necessary to kill out to bone marrow.

Two of Aubrey De Greys categories of aging, (His definition has 7), are;
1-Too many cells.  (Cancer, senescent cells also)
2-Too few cells.

Cancer is it's own thing.  I think it may be cells in rebellion against the whole notion of the human body and duty to it.  Reverting to ancient single cell or more primitive life form methods.  (That is just me supposing).

Senescent Cells, have past the safe margins of the Hayfick Limit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayflick_limit
They are then unable to divide, and cause inflammation in other healthy cells.  New treatments called synolytic(s) hope to make them just die and go away.  There is some evidence that this reverses some aging symptoms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senolytic

As we age we have a strong risk of getting more and more senescent cells.  It is apparently part of what makes us sick and damaged as we get older.

It is apparently ok to get rid of the senescent cells, as long as you have replacements.  But if the sources of new cells wears out, then you are in trouble.  Parkinson's Disease is an example of too few cells.  Stem cell therapy can help in some or many cases.  That is to add stem cells.

So, it may indeed be possible to obtain/produce more stem cells with a longer telomeres. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere

At conception I believe we have 15,000 base pairs in our cells.  By birth we have 10,000 base pairs in our cells.  As we get older it gets down to 5,000, which apparently is not enough.  Those cells then stop dividing, and become inflammatory senescent cells.

So, if you have a bucket taking out senescent cells, and when necessary a bucket putting in 10,000 base pair stem cells, the hope is that you would be OK.  It is possible that the old stem cells being worn out would be disposed of, and the replacements take their place, and you would hopefully get the advantages to some extent of being a new born.

Of course according to Aubrey De Grey, there are 5 other aging processes which need addressing.  He and others, including the other people I have mentioned are working on the above and also the other 5 problems.

So, unless the marrow has to be killed for some other reason, such as cancer, it may be possible to just overlay the rejuvenation stem cells into the existing reservoirs for stem cells.

I hope so.

------

Interestingly, if you could eventually extend the human life span to 500-1000 years, that in itself, makes the idea of interstellar travel for humans more reasonable.

I have considered something like Elon Musk's notions of blending AI with the human mind for this.  I think that if the interstellar ship were cramped, then one possibility is that a humans consciousness would dwell in a virtual reality world much of the time.  The AI would take care of the body.  Waste elimination, Eating, Exercise, whatever else much of the time, so the body could be healthy.

The "Cyborg" would only be conscious of it's real body when it was needed, for servicing something.

Elsewise it would be necessary to have a huge generation ship that would travel way too slow.

Done

Last edited by Void (2020-06-25 19:31:40)

Done.

#10 2020-06-25 20:07:04

Void

I left out David Sinclair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Andrew_Sinclair
You can find many of his video's if you browse.

His notions basically are to stimulate repair mechanisms which already exist in the body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis
Exposure to reasonable amounts of stress.  Exercise, Hot, Cold.
I prefer to take saunas, but dare not as for the Corvid-19.
I have returned to cold.  Exposure to -250 degrees for about 2 1/2 minutes at a time, with some protective gear.  Face mask, ear coverings, for modesty at least gym shorts, and socks and shoes.
My exercise is sadly lagging at this time.  Working on that.  I suppose I might hope to find a home sauna substitute.  Maybe an infrared sauna?  But, I don't think that will get hot enough, and it would be a lot of bother and $.

------

Part of my therapy I have started again is something that I have mentioned elsewhere.
"Red Light Therapy".

Facts I can assert are that it does indeed get rid of wrinkles, and I think it does sharpen the mind.

There is some notion that it stimulates the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrion

The power plants of our cells.

https://www.womensblogtalk.com/joovv-red-light-therapy

Before I started it I had wrinkles, and also a condition called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome

Even at 40 degrees sometimes my fingers would turn white.  Strangely not always when it was below zero.

I was thinking I would have to move south.

After a few Red Light treatments it was about 95% gone.   Later it was just gone.

Even during the wonderful Corvid-19 vacation from treatment, it did not come back.

I am back in the treatments now periodically.

Supposedly the treatment stimulates the circulation, and I am betting that is what fixed me up.

So, I think other people might benefit from this.

I recommend you give it a try.

Done

Last edited by Void (2020-06-25 20:17:24)

Done.

#11 2020-06-26 16:23:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

If genetic repair was so easy we would already be capable of healing the many diseases that we suffer from.
It would be nice if we were able to take in specific chemical combinations that attach to the defective cells genes but that is a ways in from of man as well...

#12 2020-06-26 17:50:00

Void

Well, if we had been to Mars, then we could go to Mars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem-cell_therapy

Stem cell therapy doe not have to involve genetic engineering.  I don't like the use of fetal stem cells either.

However there is this:
Quote:

Orthopedics[edit]
Use of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) derived from adult stem cells is under preliminary research for potential orthopedic applications in bone and muscle trauma, cartilage repair, osteoarthritis, intervertebral disc surgery, rotator cuff surgery, and musculoskeletal disorders, among others.[54] Other areas of orthopedic research for uses of MSCs include tissue engineering and regenerative medicine.[54]
Wound healing[edit]
Stem cells can also be used to stimulate the growth of human tissues. In an adult, wounded tissue is most often replaced by scar tissue, which is characterized in the skin by disorganized collagen structure, loss of hair follicles and irregular vascular structure. In the case of wounded fetal tissue, however, wounded tissue is replaced with normal tissue through the activity of stem cells.[55] A possible method for tissue regeneration in adults is to place adult stem cell "seeds" inside a tissue bed "soil" in a wound bed and allow the stem cells to stimulate differentiation in the tissue bed cells. This method elicits a regenerative response more similar to fetal wound-healing than adult scar tissue formation.[55] Researchers are still investigating different aspects of the "soil" tissue that are conducive to regeneration.[55] Because of the general healing capabilities of stem cells, they have gained interest for the treatment of cutaneous wounds, such as in skin cancer.[56]

In my gym, I have spoken to people who have had stem cell therapy to repair torn knee.

I did use the phrase "Stem Cell".  But it just needs to be cells projenitor cells perhaps.  All that is need is a source of repair cells with the capability to divide.

It is quote possible to add telomere length to cells in a petri dish with chemicals.  Then perhaps be able to put them into the body to supply replacement cells.  That will better allow the purging of senescent cells from the body.

------

Yes it needs work.  So does Starship.  That does not stop us from talking about it.

------

Not trying to be hard on you but you slammed me down hard.

Here we go:
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news … ll-therapy
This is in the family.  Would serve quite well.
Quote:

By Amy Norton
HealthDay Reporter

(HealthDay)
WEDNESDAY, May 13, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- In a first, scientists have treated a Parkinson's disease patient with his own skin cells -- repurposing them to become key brain cells that the disease kills off.

------
The two problems are to solve are "Too many cells" (Senescent or Cancer), and Too few cells (Parkinson's).  Stem cells, skin cells converted, not the same thing but the same solution.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-26 18:03:01)

Done.

#13 2020-06-26 18:51:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

Adansonia_grandidieri03.jpg

#14 2020-06-26 19:29:10

Void

I like it. smile

Done.

#15 2020-07-02 13:17:25

Void

I mentioned "Red Light Treatments", in post #10

One thing I left out was what it might do for eyes.  If you are over 40, I believe it can be beneficial.

One article indicated that it restores color vision.  That was on Phys.org

Here is one that indicates it can help other issues such as far vision.

https://www.degreewellness.com/2019/12/ … %20studies.

I am sure we would like good vision for any planet we might visit.

Unlike for tanning you can look strait into it without harm apparently.  I do.

I was wondering why my vision had not improved.  I think I may have the answer.  I wear glasses.  I tried a walk in the sunlight, and it does seem to me that given time not wearing glasses, I may have a good deal of my vision back.  I never needed glasses to get a car license, so my eyes were not that bad, but I was diagnosed with mild cataracts.  Still, I am glad I did not get my eyes operated on yet.

I had information that someone else was able to get rid of their glasses, so I am hopeful.  I do believe that my color vision is, in fact very good now.

I think I will try not wearing glasses as much as possible and see if my eyes adjust to that over time.

But I do believe I will still want reading glasses.

For you other oldies, you might want a look at this.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-07-02 13:27:00)

Done.

Board footer