New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-02-21 22:21:04

Cobra Commander

Re: A nuclear event - Do you expect one in your lifetime?

I am sure there is plenty of upset people in Saddam's entourage. Potential treators which could make possible a commnando operation "a la James Bond".

Apparently there was a coup in th works in '95. A small group of iraqi military officers reportedly made contact with CIA operatives in the country regarding the operation, seeking little more than America's blessing and assurances that the US wouldn't come to Saddam's aid (a reasonable fear from their perspective).
Though the CIA was all for it, the Clinton Administration refused to respond and the operation fell apart. So much for the Iraqi people deposing Saddam themselves. If we want Saddam dead without invasion, we have to assassinate him ourselves. Is that really more palatable, idealogically speaking, than an up-front attack?

But I am afraid the " prehistoric club" tactic will prevail. This primitive tactic can be pretty efficient: look at the russian invasion of Berlin in 1945. Just 200000 civilian casualaties, pfew, nothing...

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but I can't help but take some offense at a comparison between American troops invading Iraq and Soviet troops invading Germany. The Red Army's conduct in Germany was one of the most shameful chapters of the war. Rarely do the history books mention the "rape of Europe", but our ally was as bad if not worse than our enemy.

Whatever position anyone has on American military action in Iraq, American control will be a better political climate for the average Iraqi than the current regime. If American troops ever conduct themselves in the same manner as the Soviets in WWII I will renounce my US citizenship.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#27 2003-02-22 07:26:00

Palomar

The Red Army's conduct in Germany was one of the most shameful chapters of the war. Rarely do the history books mention the "rape of Europe", but our ally was as bad if not worse than our enemy.

*Yeah; and I presume you mean "rape of Europe" both figuratively and literally (correct if mistaken).  I read a book in my early teens about a young German girl who was made to join the Hitler Youth Movement.  She was rather naive, very young.  The Nazi regime collapsed, as we all know, and when the Red Army came in they went on group-rape sprees.  This girl (Hansi, I believe her name was; long time ago, not sure) was very skinny and rather plain.  She and a group of female companions were caught in a situation of living in a barn or something along those lines...the local Red Army troop found out and raped them all repeatedly, except Hansi (for once in her life she was glad to be skinny and unattractive).  She went into detail about her emotional pain on seeing her friends suffer in this manner, and related another girl pleading with Hansi to hold her hand while she was repeatedly brutally violated by the Red soldiers.  Hansi did hold the girl's hand, and her continued emotional pain at remembering that incident while writing it for the book was more than obvious.  Some of the girls committed suicide later, others were gang raped again later.  It was horrible.  She later came into an American camp, somehow; the GIs treated her well, brought her breakfast, gave her bubblegum, etc., and she claims not one of the U.S. soliders laid a hand on her or made any sort of advance.  She later married a U.S. soldier and moved to the States.

I seem to recall that the Red Army was also notorious for killing peasants at whim, especially hanging them, burning homes, etc.  Of course, they aren't alone in history of committing atrocities on the basis of the "to the victor goes the spoils (read:  we can do whatever we want and to hell with you)" mentality.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#28 2003-02-22 10:08:20

dickbill

[color=#000000:post_uid0]

"Though the CIA was all for it, the Clinton Administration refused to respond and the operation fell apart. So much for the Iraqi people deposing Saddam themselves. If we want Saddam dead without invasion, we have to assassinate him ourselves. Is that really more palatable, idealogically speaking, than an up-front attack?"[/quote:post_uid0]
Yes, I saw the show  on history channel. The CIA missed a good oportunity here, but it's always easyer to remake history after it happened. Also I think that yes, it's more palatable to remove Saddam than an upfront attack. With gaz, like the russians used in their recent delivery of the hostages, a commando might actually neutralize Saddam whithout having to kill him. I strongly believe the commandos should not kill Saddam Hussein, but bring him alive in front of the international penal court (IPC) for his many crimes.
Like it or not, the world changes, Look at Milosevitch, he was a legally elected leader before, look at Ariel Sharon. Mr Sharon might have to face the international penal court for his past decisions. He might deny any war crimes, it's his right, but will see what happen.
In 10/20 years, who can be sure than GW Bush  might not have to face himself the IPC because some wounded Iraki's civilian have access, ironically thanks to Bush himself, to the IPC ?
Yes the world changes. The leaders of the country have to be carefull now. A decision taken now legally can be considered irrelevant or illegal many years later.

"Whatever position anyone has on American military action in Iraq, American control will be a better political climate for the average Iraqi than the current regime. If American troops ever conduct themselves in the same manner as the Soviets in WWII I will renounce my US citizenship."

Don't be silly, I am pretty sure the US troops won't do it on purpose of course, but the iraki's soldiers might force them to shoot trough civilians. The US should not expect a Lord-of-the Ring-like situation with a simple decision to take. Remember, we are not in 1945, you don't need 200 thousands civilian casualties here, just a dozen of kids dismembred and carefully broadcasted world wide would have the same psychological effect.

If a policeman shoot a criminal through an hostage,  and the policeman is not in danger himself,  the policeman endorses responsability. If you are a US soldier and your superior ask you to shoot a missile and you know there are civilian below the target, what do you do ? refuse and take the risk of a martial court ? knowing that later on, the international mediatic pressure will grant your decision as being the right decision and forcing the US military autority to apologize ? Expect things like that rather than an childish situation. 

Things are complex here, this is why I believe this is not a job for the army, but for some kind of smart "police/commandos" intervention.[B][/color:post_uid0]

#29 2003-02-22 11:46:36

Palomar

If American troops ever conduct themselves in the same manner as the Soviets in WWII I will renounce my US citizenship.

*Just now recalled a mailing list I recently participated in (no longer).  One member is a young Iranian national studying in Atlanta, Georgia.  He believes that since all U.S. citizens are free and able to leave the U.S., those who truly are opposed to Bush's policies and warmongering should revoke their citizenship or be considered "the hypocrites that they are," especially as our tax dollars go to fund the war.

I guess this guy has forgotten that Dubya will be out of office by 2008 for certain.  I wrote back and asked this guy WHERE on Earth I am to move/live where my taxes -WON'T- go toward something I disapprove of?  Considering how the power elite is made up of few, who control the pursestrings wherever you go...

The guy didn't respond.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#30 2003-02-22 12:19:43

soph

Cindy, on a broader note, I just can't understand the anti-American, (i hesitate to say hippies, that's such a bad word to use), anti-governmentalists who live in this country, and wail against anything America does.  Well, why not leave?

It has nothing to do with freedom-if I didn't like anything about my house, I wouldn't stay if I didn't have to. 

And these "human shields" are among the most hypocritical-the ones who protested against apartheid (which i think was a noble cause) are now Saddam's biggest supporters.  I lose all respect for them as it seems more and more to me that their actions are more about rebellion against the U.S. policy in general and less against oppressive regimes.

War is not a good thing, don't get me wrong, but in this case, war can save lives and free a people-as it has done in Afghanistan.

#31 2003-02-22 12:56:47

Palomar

Cindy, on a broader note, I just can't understand the anti-American, (i hesitate to say hippies, that's such a bad word to use), anti-governmentalists who live in this country, and wail against anything America does.  Well, why not leave?

*It depends on the degree.  My answer is that one can be anti-Bush and anti-war, and still be pro-America...pro-America as in the original principles the nation was founded on (or supposedly so) with the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and the Constitution at the Constitutional Convention of 1787. 

As for the folks who believe the U.S.A. is absolutely, totally evil, i.e. every policy, etc.:  Yes, they should move out.

--Cindy

#32 2003-02-22 15:28:08

Cobra Commander

Assorted quotes...

I seem to recall that the Red Army was also notorious for killing peasants at whim, especially hanging them, burning homes, etc.  Of course, they aren't alone in history of committing atrocities on the basis of the "to the victor goes the spoils (read:  we can do whatever we want and to hell with you)" mentality.

Not alone, but probably the worst in modern times (with the possible exception of the Japanese army in China)
Of all the drivel in Nazi propaganda, the Red Army behaved exactly like the barbarian untermenschen they were portrayed as.

Don't be silly, I am pretty sure the US troops won't do it on purpose of course, but the iraki's soldiers might force them to shoot trough civilians. The US should not expect a Lord-of-the Ring-like situation with a simple decision to take. Remember, we are not in 1945, you don't need 200 thousands civilian casualties here, just a dozen of kids dismembred and carefully broadcasted world wide would have the same psychological effect.

Inflicting civilian casualties directly in the course of carrying out a military action, while unfortunate, is completely different from specifically brutalizing the civilian population. American troops on occasion kill civilians, but they do not conduct themselves like a plundering band of savages.

And these "human shields" are among the most hypocritical-the ones who protested against apartheid (which i think was a noble cause) are now Saddam's biggest supporters.  I lose all respect for them as it seems more and more to me that their actions are more about rebellion against the U.S. policy in general and less against oppressive regimes.

War is not a good thing, don't get me wrong, but in this case, war can save lives and free a people-as it has done in Afghanistan.

I'm in complete agreement with Soph here.

My answer is that one can be anti-Bush and anti-war, and still be pro-America...pro-America as in the original principles the nation was founded on (or supposedly so) with the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and the Constitution at the Constitutional Convention of 1787.

It seems that both parties have been straying from those principles of late. I've never thought of myself as Anti-American, but I'm not a big fan of the Republican party and the Democrats irritate me on almost a daily basis. Great country, bad choices.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#33 2003-02-22 16:37:56

Palomar

It seems that both parties have been straying from those principles of late. I've never thought of myself as Anti-American, but I'm not a big fan of the Republican party and the Democrats irritate me on almost a daily basis. Great country, bad choices.

*You want to know what gets me?  The constant accusations bandied about of "you're a liberal!!" or "you're a conservative!!"  I've been accused of being both, at different times and by different people, in various forums (oh well, I've been called worse things).

They slap a label on it, attempt to pigeon-hole it so they don't have deal with it or think through a difference of opinion.  Really dumb.  I don't know when I'll ever learn to "not discuss religion or politics."  Maybe it's my fighting spirit...yeah...that must be it!  :angry: 

--Cindy  :laugh:

#34 2003-02-22 17:35:13

dicktice

Right on! I feel so frustrated by the constantly growing limitations imposed on anglo-american vocabulary in very short periods of time--useful words such as e.g. liberal, conservative, gay, queer, fairy, etc.... All such are to be avoided now, unless accompanied by tedious explainations, lost to posterity for all time(!) even though they were in common use in print, only a decade or so ago.
   I believe those who feel compelled to label someone or something should be required, by consensus, to make up their words from scratch, and lay-off the hijacking of words published in the current Oxford and/or Webster's dictionary editions!

#35 2003-02-22 18:11:14

Josh Cryer

War is not a good thing, don't get me wrong, but in this case, war can save lives and free a people- as it has done in Afghanistan.

The people in Afghanistan are free? Which Afghanistan are we looking at here?

Nation building is wrong. The only way you can successfully ?build a nation? is through diplomacy and education, not bombs. I find it appalling that the US spends so much money building other countries via the bomb and build process. Money which could be better spent here at home. Except, in this case, it's quite possible that the Bush admin isn't going to go the bomb and build route... we certain'y didn't build after we bombed Afghanistan. But then again, Afghanistan doesn't have oil.

And you know guys, I've been called a liberal before, but it really doesn't bother me. Because when someone bandies about such language, they usually aren't contributing any intellectual input, and are just rambling. It's hard to honestly generalize someone you don't even know.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#36 2003-02-22 18:24:11

soph

Josh, perhaps the facts might get in the way of your speculation.  We continue to spend a billion dollars a month in Afghanistan, to rebuild the country.  We continue to pour in humanitarian aid.  We created the foundations of a democratic government.

People are now free to shave their beards, say what they want, buy what they want.  What are you talking about, Josh?

Not everything America does is selfish.

#37 2003-02-22 18:36:28

Josh Cryer

soph, show me where we're giving a billion dollars a month to Afghanistan. Hell, the Bush admin. didn't put Afghanistan in the 2004 budget at all. The 2002 act to give Afghanistan aide translates to like, 825 million a year, until 2006 or something. No where near the billion a month figure you just spouted.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#38 2003-02-22 18:38:15

soph

Sure, I'll find a source for you.

#39 2003-02-22 18:43:50

Josh Cryer

Thanks.

--------

#40 2003-02-22 18:52:25

soph

Sorry, Josh-I think we're both right on this one.  Most of the $1 billion I quoted is military spending, which wouldn't be included in the budget, at least not openly.  But the Bush administration added $300 million for the year after they realized it wasn't there.

So we still provide over $20 million per month in non-military aid.

#41 2003-02-22 18:56:31

Josh Cryer

Yeah, I neglected to mention that 300 million was put in the 2004 budget, but as you pointed out, it was after the fact.

Funny how your billion turned into a few million in the span of a few replies, huh?

Oh, and from what I've been reading, the only really sane place in Afghanistan is the capital Kabul. Everywhere else is still overrun by warlords, etc.

--------

#42 2003-02-22 19:09:41

soph

Few million?  No, it still is a billion-the allocation of that funding is different.

But, yes, change still has to spread.  Old habits die hard, but as shown in Kabul, they can die.

#43 2003-02-22 21:36:18

Josh Cryer

No, it still is a billion

Where is it still a billion a month? I thought we pretty much determined that that was totally false and just a figament of your imagination? Could you show me some figures? I can show you the 2004 budget, and the Afghanistan Freedom and Reconstruction act, if you want. No where does it reach a billion a month.

You said something about military spending, but you fail to back it up...

--------

#44 2003-02-22 21:38:22

soph

Er, you said it was a figment of my imagination, not me.

Military spending isn't factored into our budget as a separate provision-I would have to dig a little more, and right now I'm kind of busy watching the Tyson fight.  I'll see if I can find something for you tomorrow.

#45 2003-02-22 21:51:24

Cobra Commander

...right now I'm kind of busy watching the Tyson fight.  I'll see if I can find something for you tomorrow.

Okay, fights over. No more excuses. big_smile

Not even a single round, dammit.

#46 2003-02-22 22:04:17

soph

What a beating.  Problem is, 11 means i go to bed!   :angry:

#47 2003-02-22 22:15:16

Josh Cryer

Good luck finding something. Assuming you do, and you're right, it'll be fun to get into an argument about how helpful it is. big_smile

--------

#48 2003-02-22 22:19:52

soph

Okay, let's let the Taliban take over again!

#49 2003-02-22 22:41:11

Josh Cryer

What? Why? The warlords clearly have everything under control!

--------

#50 2003-02-23 08:44:59

soph

Um, right.  Are you saying that Afghanistan is no better off than it was before the Taliban was pushed out?

Come on.

Board footer