New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#3401 2024-04-03 08:58:45

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re Starship is Go topic...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 68#p153368

The topic started while Louis was still here, in 2018.  I started reading from the top but ran out of time... there sure was a lot of good/worth while content back then, and the high level continues through 2024.  It's fun to review the developments by SpaceX looking back from the current level.

(th)

#3402 2024-04-05 09:08:27

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Apache Internal Server Error

The following string caused AISE today: a s  y o u r   p o s t    i n d i c a t e s.

I used a technique of isolation to identify the string that was causing the error.

When the AISE occurred, I copied the entire post into a text editor document, and added lines back to the post, using Preview.

When the AISE occurred, I split the line into parts, until the AISE occurred.

There is no rhyme or reason that I can see for the fault with that particular string, but it is one more data point as we attempt to understand the problem.

(th)

#3403 2024-04-05 09:10:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re news of heavy snow in New Hampshire...

Today's news included several items about the heavy snow you and your neighbors are seeing.

After you dig out, and get power back, I hope you will have time to describe what you saw.

(th)

#3404 2024-04-05 13:12:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

To many trees and branch cause power line damage with estimates of 400,000 without power from Vermont, new Hampshire and Maine.

#3405 2024-04-05 17:31:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re snowy April ...

Thanks for your report .... best wishes for power as soon as possible.

(th)

#3406 2024-04-06 15:44:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Power is back on, but we are still not back to normal yet after so many days without.

#3407 2024-04-06 17:03:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3406

Thanks for the good news the power is back on. I hope your recovery is swift!

(th)

#3408 2024-04-06 17:13:07

tahanson43206

This is definitely a "Housekeeping" item ...

SpaceNut, if you have an Android phone as I think you've said, by any chance do you know how to restore the camera icon to the main menu?  My camera icon is installed and working from a menu several levels down (Settings >> Settings >> Applications), but I can't figure out how to restore the icon to the main menu. There is a space in the main menu where the icon used to be. I have no idea what i could have done to cause it to disappear.

I have a request to take some pictures, and am stymied at the moment.

The icon used to be on the main menu, and I used it relatively recently.

I updated the system software today, but that did not fix the camera icon problem.

None of the ideas I found on the Internet helped.

(th)

#3409 2024-04-06 17:42:05

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re your example of spacing the p o s t to avoid the AISE problem!

That demonstration of a work-around rang a bell with me....

We might be able to add a button to the P o s t buttons!

Right now I see [S u b m i t] and [P r e v i e w]

We could add a button to [S p a c e P o s t]

That button would take the text that our member has entered into the P o s t window, and space it out as you have done.

Then, when our member clicks on P r e v i e w or S u b m i t, the p o s t should be accepted.

By adding extra spaces between words, the result is quite readable.

To get past AISE for this p o s t, I had to add spaces in all the key words.

(th)

#3410 2024-04-06 18:50:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

Email with photos of the branches and pole power lines on their way to you Tom.

#3411 2024-04-06 20:24:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3410

Thank you for sending those ** impressive ** images showing the heavy snow and downed power lines in New Hampshire!

That situation must have been trying for many thousands of your neighbors, up and down the state!

Best wishes for a swift arrival of spring!

(th)

#3412 2024-04-07 07:19:59

tahanson43206

The disturbance reported by Void appears to be part of a rather impressive hacking campaign...

I asked Google about the string that shows up, and it appears to point to something that is advertised as music.

However, the number of sites that appear to be helping to advertise the product is greater than I would have expected...

CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI DABA DABA

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com › playlist
CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI DABA DABA. Maskhat • Album. 1 videoUpdated yesterday. Play all · Shuffle · 2:56 · DJ CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI DABA DABA ...

CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI DABA DABA - YouTube

YouTube · Maskhat - Topic
44.8K+ views · 3 months ago
·
Translate this page

2:56
Provided to YouTube by PT Athena Musik Group CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI DABA DABA · Maskhat · Endy · Endy · PT Athena Musik Group CIPI ...

Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com › CIPI-CAPA-DUBI-DABA
Check out CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI DABA DABA by Maskhat on Amazon Music. Stream ad-free or purchase CD's and MP3s now on Amazon.com.
30-day returns

CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI DABA DABA - Single

Apple Music
https://music.apple.com › album › cipi-cipi-capa-capa-d...
Dec 22, 2023 — Listen to CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI DABA DABA - Single by Maskhat on Apple Music. 2023. 1 Song. Duration: 2 minutes.

cipi cipi capa capa dubi dubi Daba daba - YouTube

YouTube · davidstumbleguyz
14.2K+ views · 3 months ago

0:07
cipi cipi capa capa dubi dubi Daba daba. 14K views · 3 months ago ...more. Try YouTube Kids. An app made just for kids.

Cipi cipi capa capa...(1hour) - YouTube

YouTube · Blueberry muffin
44.2K+ views · 3 months ago

1:00:01
Cipi cipi capa capa...(1hour). 44K views · 3 ... cipi cipi capa capa song. Matt Peterson ... chipi chipi chapa chapa dubi dubi daba daba (looped).

cipi cipi capa cpa dubi dubi - YouTube

YouTube · Pajko gejm
2 days ago

0:16
cipi cipi capa cpa dubi dubi. No views · 42 minutes ago ...more. Pajko gejm. 35. Subscribe. 0. Share. Save.

cipi cipi capa capa dubi dubi | TikTok

TikTok · R Y U
320+ views · 1 week ago

0:31
TikTok video from R Y U (@micelja): “cipi cipi capa capa dubi dubi ”. suara asli - Sheinsein_.

Cipi Cipi Ciapa Ciapa Dubi Dubi Full Song Orginal

TikTok
https://www.tiktok.com › find › cipi-cipi-ciapa-ciapa-du...
Dec 12, 2023 — 964M views. Discover videos related to Cipi Cipi Ciapa Ciapa Dubi Dubi Full Song Orginal on TikTok. See more videos about Cipi Cipi Ciapa ...

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com › channel
CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI DABA DABA. More about this channel. support.google.com/youtube/answer/2579942. Subscribe.

chipi chipi chapa chapa dubi dubi daba daba (looped)

YouTube · Unique Vibes
12M+ views · 3 months ago

2:44
chipi chipi chapa chapa dubi dubi daba daba (looped) ✖ Unique Vibes Merch: https://uniquevibes.shop ▻ Unique Vibes Merch: ...

The list of infected sites is much longer ...

(th)

#3413 2024-04-07 07:27:18

tahanson43206

At this point I can't put two and two together, but there seems to be a major attack on Internet structures underway.

I asked Google, and while it didn't answer about the CIPI attack, it ** did ** report on activity by Chinese hackers:

People also ask
Why is China cyber attacking us?
Historically, Chinese hackers have targeted U.S. businesses and government agencies to steal state secrets and other sensitive information. Volt Typhoon is the first group to look toward destructive cyberattacks — and a successful nation-state cyberattack on critical infrastructure could be seen as an act of war.Feb 9, 2024

What to know about China's cyber threats - Axios

axios.com
https://www.axios.com › china-cyber-threats-targeting-us
Search for: Why is China cyber attacking us?
What are Chinese hackers doing?
The report doesn't name any specific victims, but said the “PRC state-sponsored” hackers have targeted key infrastructure, “primarily in Communications, Energy, Transportation Systems, and Waste and Wastewater Systems Sectors — in the continental and non-continental United States and its territories.”Feb 7, 2024

Chinese hackers spent 5 years in US infrastructure, ready to attack

nbcnews.com
https://www.nbcnews.com › tech › security › chinese-hac...
Search for: What are Chinese hackers doing?

The intercept of "NewMars.com" may be happening in the Internet at a level above Dreamhost, where Mars Society services are housed.

An example of a sophisticated attack would be to take over the DNS servers that are at the heart of the Internet.

(th)

#3414 2024-04-07 11:17:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

It appears that the WordPress page has either been hacked or the registry of the domain has lapsed.
It was last addressed years ago. Will see if I can find forum information or emails from when Josh cryer and James worked to get the site stable.

Here are the topics that give the trails of Newmars over the years.
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3598
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3601
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3603
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3694
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6039
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6098
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6884
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8279

#3415 2024-04-07 12:34:59

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3414 ...

Thanks for your assessment of the situation ... the ping to NewMars.com still works, so I think that means the registration is good.

However, the state of the registration  can be viewed using who is. I'll try to remember to do that later. I was looking at the who is earlier, to confirm that Dreamhost is still the ISP.  The security service appears to be located in Iceland, or somewhere with a northern name.

More important, the link to forums still works, so as long as folks use ** that ** the site pops right up.

Hopefully this is something our webmaster can check.

(th)

#3416 2024-04-07 19:09:45

tahanson43206

SpaceNut ...

Just FYI ... kbd512 is looking at the cip cipi problem

He'll investigate further.

Thanks for your help ..

And thanks to Void for reporting the problem

(th)

#3417 2024-04-08 07:16:09

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re work on FluxBB upgrade....

Just FYI ... the first phase of work appears to be complete.

kbd512 has removed a feature that prevented the software from running with modern PHP.

Now we seem to have a new problem. The software does not seem to be able to make the transition from the old MySQL where it currently runs, to the new version which is the desired environment.

I am not optimistic that we will be able to solve this latest problem in time to give you access to a working system to test in the Azure environment.

kbd512 offered an alternative ... we might install phpBB's latest version in the Azure environment, and I expect it would work if we let it create it's own empty database.  I'll try to find time to investigate that possibility.

I am doubtful the old FluxBB database is compatible with the new phpBB package.  There would be many similarities, but changes made to phpBB over the past decade would surely prevent a plug-and-play solution.

(th)

#3418 2024-04-08 08:37:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re possible test of phpBB on Azure site....

You have already done some investigation of this package and how it might be installed.

Please see if you can check the procedure, to see if there is any chance it might be installable on the Azure test account.

I haven't looked into the question at all, because until now I'd been hoping we might be able to update the FluxBB package.

What I'm looking for is a simple step-by-step procedure that I can follow.  Everything needed to support the package is already in place and working.  We have 7 days left to try to set up something for you (and everyone else) to try out.

(th)

#3419 2024-04-08 13:04:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... ChatGPT4 and I just completed changes needed to update the test database on my development PC.

I'll try to have it up on the Azure test site later todayl

Here is output:

Testing UpdateEdited Version 3
Post ID is: 5
Before update, Edited for Post ID 5: NULL
Post ID 5 Edited updated successfully.
After update, Edited for Post ID 5: 1

Please note that the edited field was set to null by the utility program that restored the backup data that kbd512 provided late last year.

(th)

#3420 2024-04-08 16:33:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

https://web.archive.org/web/20190522184 … wmars.com/

Home page for newmars.xom

I also noticed that the link at the top of the page for the MarsNews website is going to something that is not that site. I wonder if James Burk has given up his site or something else has happened due to hacking...

#3421 2024-04-08 20:15:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... kbd512 agreed to investigate the failure of newmars.com

404 Not Found
CIPI CIPI CAPA CAPA DUBI DUBI

That code is acting where the Wordpress used to be.

Apparently kbd512 has not yet solved the problem, because I just tested it and it is still failing.

I don't think Mr. Burk is aware of the problem.  It does not seem to be a problem at marssociety.org.

However, please note that marssociety.org is a secure site, and we are not.

(th)

#3422 2024-04-09 18:33:38

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... re puzzle with FluxBB connection to database...

I decided to install punBB 1.4.6 ... the installation went smoothly.  The files need to be given correct permissions, and with a little help from ChatGPT4 we took care of that.  I tried install.php but it was unable to create a config file.  I copied the one from FluxBB (on my development machine) and with one minor change, it worked, and the system started.  It reported that the database was out of date, and it started db_update.php and that froze.  This is exactly the same behavior as we are seeing with the FluxBB package.

The remaining option is one that kbd512 suggested weeks ago... I can try creating a new empty database and let punBB try to populate it with tables. 

My original idea (this evening) was to install punBB alongside FluxBB and see if the newer package could connect to the newmars database. The answer is ... no!

(th)

#3423 2024-04-09 20:38:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... the mysteries are piling up ...

I downloaded Version 1.4.6 of punBB and installed it. I tried using the FluxBB database, but ran into problems with that.

Then I tried creating an empty database and ran punBB against that, but it complained because the database was empty. I was expecting it to create tables in the empty database, but it did not do anything.

I then returned to trying the FluxBB database with the new punBB 1.4.6 version, and it said (a) It needed to run db_update.php because the database was out of date, and db_update.php says the database is fine and it can't do anything.

This process is not going as I had hoped it might.

Update a bit later ... I'll try phpBB 3.3.1 ... it is copied into the html folder alongside FluxBB and punBB.

It's ready to receive attention tomorrow.

Files need the right ownership and permissions.

An empty database is needed in the MySQL structure.

I'll try the index.php tomorrow and see how far i get.

(th)

#3424 2024-04-10 06:57:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

More on the forum upgrade challenges....

It turns out that the Knowledge forum is running on phpBB ... that is the software I downloaded yesterday.  Unlike FluxBB and punBB, phpBB is being actively maintained, so there may be a way to ask for help if I run into a problem trying to install it.

On the other hand, overnight, I reflected on the fact I've never bothered to read the README file for either FluxBB or punBB.

It is remotely possible there may be something useful in one or both of those.

However, I suspect that the solution will be discovered by the laborious and time consuming process of stepping through the PHP scripts.

The way that I tried already is to place echo statements in the PHP code.  That method worked to reveal the curly brace in cache.php. 

I've been unable to find any log files that may be created, or if I find them they are empty, so that's not been much help.

An alternative that I thought of overnight is to create a new table called debug, which would have one row: "switch" and that would either be 1 or 0.

I could add code to the php scripts to look at that field and echo or not.  That would leave a lot of code in the present clean PHP, but at least it could be turned off quickly by just setting the switch to 0 (off).

The solution to all of this is ** out there ** ... After all, these systems are running all over the world.

(th)

#3425 2024-04-10 17:37:35

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... I am surprised to be able to report success in setting up a forum package, after so many days/weeks of non-success....

The phpBB 3.3.0 package appears to be installed on my development PC, and I ** think ** I'll be able to replicate the set up on Azure!

Here is a list of 69 tables that the installer created in an empty database:

mysql> use phpbb_newmars;
Reading table information for completion of table and column names
You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Database changed
mysql> show tables;
+---------------------------+
| Tables_in_phpbb_newmars   |
+---------------------------+
| phpbb_acl_groups          |
| phpbb_acl_options         |
| phpbb_acl_roles           |