New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-09-04 13:36:08

Palomar

Re: Celebs & Rich People "In Spaaaaace!" - Your Thoughts?

*I guess the 'NSync singer, Lance Bass [and no, I don't listen to their music, am not a fan] is in trouble with the Russians for failure to pay for a ride into orbit [he's still in the training period, of course].  Yesterday he was told to clean out his belongings and leave Star City.  Later in the day his agent told the press and officials at Star City that the $$$ was on its way.

I think celebs & wealthy people paying for their own rides into orbit is certainly okay, and does attract attention to "the cause" [too bad this Bass guy is being somewhat irresponsible, however].

What do you guys think?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2002-09-04 13:46:04

Bill White

I have heard there were circumstances perhaps beyond his control - his agent was selling sponsorships and media rights and that money had not come through yet.

Perhaps its more a business deal for Lance Bass than a pure vanity thing. IMHO its just "bidness" as usual.

No ticket? No laundry.  - - -  No hard cash? No ride into space.

Unfortunate but transactions fall apart all the time. No big deal.

#3 2002-09-04 14:42:24

clark

Depends.

The Russians or some private group wants to build a rocket and shoot some people off into space, more power to them.

However, ISS and the United States Shuttle fleet are all National Treasures- they belong to each and every signle one of us- not just a select few who can cough up the dough.

Maybe this is a bit of a hard line, but how would you feel if all the National parks were closed to only those who can pay several hundred thousand dollars?

#4 2002-09-04 15:01:42

Palomar

Clark:  Depends.

The Russians or some private group wants to build a rocket and shoot some people off into space, more power to them.

However, ISS and the United States Shuttle fleet are all National Treasures- they belong to each and every signle one of us- not just a select few who can cough up the dough.

Maybe this is a bit of a hard line, but how would you feel if all the National parks were closed to only those who can pay several hundred thousand dollars?

*I see your points.  However, there is a major difference here:  There is no means by which humans can orbit the earth except in a shuttle/space vehicle, whereas many more [percentage-wise] Americans can afford to visit the National Parks via private car, airplane, train, bus tour, motorcycle, etc.  I guess a "reverse" question would be:  Does every U.S. citizen deserve an all-expense-paid trip [paid for out of the U.S. Treasury Department's pocket, ala the taxpayer -- and not all citizens are taxpayers] to the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone National Park just because they are National Parks?  I don't think so.

--Cindy

P.S.:  Really not interested in debating.  I'm simply expressing my thoughts on the matter.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2002-09-04 15:11:49

clark

I understand where you are coming from, and I ackoledge the reality of the situation- the uniqueness of what we are talking about, and what I am comparing it to. However, the way I look at it is that we ALL pay for the National Parks- it is our shared heritage. While some may utilize the parks and some may not, all people are granted the same access.

However, with space, that "same access" is non-exsistant given the cost of getting there. I can understand the economical argument, or even the "chicken and egg" in terms of establishing a  future market- but what I think is that it sets a bad precedent and there are other means to achieve the same objectives more fairly.

Again, I am looking at it this way: I pay taxes, those taxes help build and maintain the shuttle to do scientific work for the betterment of our nation. I don't like the idea that i would be subsidizing joy rides for the uber rich.

I don't think everyone dreserves an all-exspense paid trip to anywhere, but I also don't think anyone deserves a subsidy for a jaunt into space.

either let private enterprise take them all the way, or make a national lottery for all eligible US citizens (maybe earmark a box that deducts an additional dollar or two on your IRS form)- all thhose who check the box automatically donate the money to NASA (or whatever space agency dujour) and are eligble for a flight into space.

if they're rich enough to contemplate travelling into space, let em find the additional millions to pay for the whole damn thing.

#6 2002-09-04 15:20:20

Bill White

Admission to the national parks? I agree with you 100%.

Paying for a bus trip, or a train trip, or airline ticket from Washington or Chicago or Dallas to Mt. Rushmore? No money, no ticket. No ticket, no ride.

Lance Bass is paying for a ride on Soyuz - not for a motel room at the ISS. I have heard that $20 million apparently does pay the Russians fair value for a Soyuz ride.

NASA wants to bar him from the US modules and force him to stay only in the Russian section? Well, okay, but I think it makes NASA look bad.

*IF* a credible case can be made that the presence of a tourist genuinely interferes with ISS work - OK - ban them.

*IF* lots of people start showing up at the ISS, okay, we need to make some rules. What if Rutan and X-Cor do build a cheap LEO system, for example.

The real problem is that NASA and the Russians and the ESA simply do not have a clear mutual understanding on the purposes of the ISS

*and*

after the royal screwing the USA  is giving our ISS partners by cancelling the X-38 (I have been reading about the ESA CRV which was cancelled to make way for the X-38. . . ) I am not sympathetic to NASA whining about "tourists"

#7 2002-09-04 15:32:03

Palomar

*IF* a credible case can be made that the presence of a tourist genuinely interferes with ISS work - OK - ban them.

*I've heard Cindy Crawford, the supermodel, wants to take a trip up into orbit with the Russians.  I wonder if her hair and makeup people will get in the way...[oops! can't take them along!]...guess she'll have to look BAD for the cameras!  {gasp}.  I bet she'll change her mind, in the light [pardon the pun] of that realization [risk bad hair day, risk a blemish or two] -- you know, the VANITY factor.  smile

--Cindy

#8 2002-09-04 22:33:16

Phobos

*I guess the 'NSync singer, Lance Bass [and no, I don't listen to their music, am not a fan] is in trouble with the Russians for failure to pay for a ride into orbit [he's still in the training period, of course].  Yesterday he was told to clean out his belongings and leave Star City.  Later in the day his agent told the press and officials at Star City that the $$$ was on its way.

I think celebs & wealthy people paying for their own rides into orbit is certainly okay, and does attract attention to "the cause" [too bad this Bass guy is being somewhat irresponsible, however].

What do you guys think?

I have no problem with it.  Actually I think it could have a positive outcome if Lance Bass went into space because it might make a significant portion of the population out there more aware of spaceflight than they had previously been.  It's like they say, there's no such thing as bad advertising.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#9 2002-09-05 11:43:26

clark

Band boys exploding on the tar mac would not be good advertising.   tongue

And Cindy Crawford in space? Talk about heavenly bodies....  tongue

I think tourism on the ISS itself is acceptable once it is completed, and some of the funds generated by the commercializzation are redirected towards expanding the capability of the ISS itself. We, the public, then receive a benefit from the exploitation of a world treasure.

#10 2002-09-05 14:10:50

Palomar

*Since I just started this thread yesterday, I thought I should be considerate and let you guys know that I won't be back to New Mars for a while, and so of course won't be reading any responses to posts or checking my Messenger.

If you need/want to get a hold of me, you can write me at ecrasez_l_infame@yahoo.com.  I've made a note of this in my signature line as well.

See you guys later...

--Cindy

#11 2002-09-05 21:47:27

Phobos

Band boys exploding on the tar mac would not be good advertising.

Sure it would be, maybe not to his fans, but there are plenty of other people out there who would take notice. smile

*Since I just started this thread yesterday, I thought I should be considerate and let you guys know that I won't be back to New Mars for a while, and so of course won't be reading any responses to posts or checking my Messenger.

Hate to see you go. sad

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#12 2002-09-08 22:56:44

Josh Cryer

Philosophically, the ISS is like the Alaskan Wildlife Refuge. It's ?open to the public,? as I am 99% sure NASA wouldn't deny anyone from docking to it if everything deemed fit, it's just that getting there is the hard part. One can understand why NASA would want to keep people limited to certain parts of the ISS, but it's really a silly concept. If you're deemed fit enough to travel into space and live there for a few days, I cannot imagine how you couldn't be equally fit to roam around when you get there.

And Cindy... I know I don't post that much, off and on and all that. But it will be sad to see you go. I do hope your return is as quick as possible.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#13 2002-09-09 06:41:58

Shaun Barrett

'Bye Cindy!

I agree with Phobos and Josh. It won't be the same without you.
   Hope it's just a brief vacation or something.
   Hurry back!
                                       smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#14 2002-09-10 13:22:18

Palomar

*Thanks Phobos, Josh, and Shaun.  Vacation plans fell through, so...

--Cindy

#15 2002-09-10 22:41:19

Themescules
Banned

I think it's great that Bass wants to be the youngest person ever into Space. He went to space camp as a kid and said his life-long dream was about to be full-filled. I just read his latest interview and he said he was disappointed about not making it on this trip and that "He will work very hard to make this a reality". My problem here is that he keeps relying on sponsors to pay for his trip, I think that if he wants to go to space so bad that he cough up the money himself or cover the additional needed!  I know he must have made well over 20 million bucks while with his very popular pop-band N'sync, I believe he should Put up or Shut-up!
Themescules

"Death is the Answer to all the Questions Humanity has wondered and will always wonder about!"

Board footer