New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-01-06 08:48:19

tahanson43206

Iron Ion Cutting Tool

This topic is created to inspire creating thinking which will lead to development of a useful tool for application on Mars, on Earth, or anywhere humans venture in centuries ahead.

From a conversation with kbd512:

I'm thinking of starting a new tools related topic which will be inspired by JoshNH4H and his vision of things that could be done with electron free iron atoms, if only there were a way to contain them.  I'd like to have a quiet tool that can perform precision severing of molecular bonds while avoiding damage to nuclei . That sets energy boundaries on the high end and probably on the low end.

I live in a dense urban setting, with occasional need to perform cuts of various kinds, so I have to wait for the middle of the work day when few residents are around to be annoyed.  A quiet tool would help << grin >>.

JoshNH4H succeeded in breaking a mental block I did not realize I was harboring, when he reminded me that a material container for electron-free iron atoms cannot exist in our Universe, because the iron atoms would collect any available electrons, and material in our Universe is held together by electron bonds.

Since then I've been looking casually at the general topic of plasma cutters, but so far I've not found anything that hints at the capability I'm looking for.

A concern I have is that if a way is found to create a stream of iron atoms free of electrons which could be directed at a material such as the stone face of a mountain wall, the iron atoms would collect electrons until they are satisfied, and then they would become hot debris that is in the way of further work.

In any case, I am hoping this new topic will inspire some creative thinking that will lead to improved tools for future forum readers, and for members of the population who never heard of NewMars forum but who will appreciate the efforts of those who provided useful tools for excavating caves, tunnels and vertical bore holes in stubborn raw material.

(th)

#2 2020-01-06 17:53:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Iron Ion Cutting Tool

The sun sheds elements without electrons and we call them photons an https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_particle to which the proton is a member.

Throw in to the mix; matter, anti-matter, dark matter and demensions and there is little wonder why we have trouble..
I would thing that in a particle accelerator one could make the iron without electrons but it wouldbe not long lived...

#3 2020-01-07 08:12:09

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2

Thank you for your interest in an iron-nucleus cutting tool.

As an observation, while the Sun certainly DOES produce photons in great numbers, it also produces ions in abundance.

Google result for "ions produced by the sun"

What particles does the sun emit?
The solar wind is a stream of charged particles released from the upper atmosphere of the Sun, called the corona. This plasma mostly consists of electrons, protons and alpha particles with kinetic energy between 0.5 and 10 keV. Embedded within the solar-wind plasma is the interplanetary magnetic field.

I am looking for a cutting tool small enough to be transported by a small vehicle such as a jeep(tm). 

It would have sufficient strength to cut through 10 cm of solid granite (or any material, for that matter).  It would NOT have sufficient strength to cause transmutation of atomic nuclei.  The strength would be sufficient to cut any electron bonds holding the material together.

For efficiency and effectiveness, the torch would be as narrow as physics will allow.

(th)

#4 2020-01-07 18:00:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

Oh I zigged when you zagged on what was the topic of a metal cutting tool for Iron in particular.

Of course ther torch of the correct fuel with oxidizer will do the job but for something that is electrical thats a way different cutter.

I know of plasma, arc and of laser but there is also water jet but none of these are that small.

Board footer