New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2019-12-12 06:51:55

tahanson43206

Legacy Science Technology Engineering Math

The local community sponsored a gathering of (about) 400 technologists for a holiday gathering.  I was one of the older attendees.  It was fun interacting with the young people who are the lifeblood of the entrepreneurial activity here.  I was glad to see that gradually the mix of folks is trending to include more women.

Meeting all those younger folks last night inspires me to offer this new topic, in hopes of inspiring some of our older contributors to add posts about experiences they have had in their careers which might be helpful to young people in future.

The behavior of chemicals (to take just one example) is not going to change any time soon, so lessons learned before 2019 are going to be just as useful in 2119.

We already have one forum contributor who is building a legacy blog on aerospace engineering, and that is an impressive body of work already.  It continues to grow as new and timely updates are added.

In (somewhat random) scans of the forum archive, I have seen a number of nuggets of wisdom offered by contributors in the context of whatever topic is under discussion.  This topic is offered for a more specific purpose .... I'm hoping that members who are so inspired will add posts with substantial content about some aspect of the careers they have pursued for decades.

As just one example (of many), I recall one contributor mentioning in passing that he had designed or built or been involved in construction of a chemical plant.

A snapshot of that experience would (or at least could) inspire a future reader who might wish to build a chemical plant, on Earth or anywhere.

A particularly interesting activity might be to select a book from one's library, report the title and specifics, and then review the content and provide examples of how it helped to solve problems that came up over a number of years.

This is not offered as a suggestion for a brief one-off contribution.  I'm hoping forum contributors will take this on as a way of building a base of knowledge that would be helpful to Mars settlers, as well as to young people who are still in education and considering how to direct their careers.

(th)

Board footer