New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#426 2007-02-09 06:15:03

Palomar

Re: I'll take malaprops for *5* Bob - Apropos of Nothing continues. . .

Anna Nicole Smith has died. 

I wonder if the two men fighting for paternity recognition/proof of the baby will continue fighting.

If Anna Nicole were a mere Pizza Hut waitress, chances are no one would be the father.  roll

But of course Anna Nicole had won a $400 million settlement [a long-deceased husband's estate].  If Anna Nicole got that money it'd be passed on to the child.  That's 400 million reasons two people would fight like crazy for parental proof.

Now Anna Nicole (who claimed bankruptcy a few years ago) is dead, and so are the possibilities of that $400 million being paid to her...and ergo her baby daughter will receive none of it.

So I'm wondering if there'll still be "a battle for the baby" or if Anna Nicole's mother will soon be rearing an infant granddaughter.  I'm betting on the latter.   roll

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#427 2007-04-07 17:59:05

clark

When was the last time you went outside and just looked at the stars or the moon?

I think most people forget.

#428 2007-04-07 23:52:05

Josh Cryer

Just tonight. About 4-5 days ago I went on a hike after the sun went down. The moon was very bright and lit up the path nicely. I hiked for several hours until right before the park closed at 11PM (not that it's enforced).

Can't wait until summer (cold as heck here in Colorado).

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#429 2007-04-24 07:19:25

RobertDyck
Website

Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, I wonder where the birdies is!

On April 15th the high was +18.8°C, the low at night was +0.5°C. The first night of the year that it didn't drop below freezing all night. About time, the beginning of April was damn cold. I know there's great concern about global warming, but cold like that makes me ask if a little global warming is a bad thing. Anyway, the high Saturday was +20.6°C, Sunday was +18.7°C, Monday was +15.3°C. The forecast for today is +12°C dipping to -2°C tonight; a bit chilly. The last bit of snow melted the week of April 9-15, about two weeks late but at least it's gone.

The first Canada geese arrived before all the snow melted, the showed up as soon as large patches of grass were exposed. They eat grass. The trend in construction that last couple decades has been to build a retaining pond to hold rain water, which reduces the load on storm sewers. That way the city doesn't have to expand their storm sewers for new developments; the city charges developers for that expansion so they build ponds to avoid the charge. They sculpt the ponds to be an attractive feature, a selling point for the neighbourhood. They add fancy decorative fountains; looks pretty but their real function is to aerate the water so algae doesn't grow. The light industrial park I work in has ponds as well. Lots of birds but the geese shit on the lawn and right on the walk from our parking lot to the front door. They're fearless, you can walk about 3-6 feet from them and they just stare at you; they'll slowly waddle away if you walk closer. I expect the pattern will be the same as last year, in about a month we'll get a large flock of geese, they'll lay their eggs and raise their goslings right on our lawn. The industrial park is two story buildings with multiple units per building, a parking lot in front of each and loading docks behind. There are large lawns with ponds, each with at least one fountain, one has two fountains, the sign at the entrance to the park is a large stone sign with water running over it, built to look like a waterfall in the Canada shield. Plenty of trees and they hire grounds keepers from a greenhouse to manicure plants around each building and it's front walk. Looks pretty, but in summer the lawns are completely packed full of geese. There are also some pigeons, crows, gulls, and magpies. The industrial park put up a sign indicating goose crossing, apparently in an attempt to get drivers to be careful not run over them. I haven't seen one hit by a car. There's also a plastic owl on the electrical pole with a transformer. I guess it works, I haven't seen birds land on the wires there. But my mother pointed out that near her apartment, just across the river there's a pair of bald eagles with a nest. I guess all these birds in the city attracted hunting birds. How would I convince an eagle to move in to our industrial park? Perhaps they could reduce the goose shit at our front door and pigeon/magpie shit on my office window sill.

Nature lovers have been lobbying to protect wetlands, but now these retaining ponds within the city are attracting water foul within the city. However, we're now seeing the downside of large numbers of birds. The geese appear to prefer the city; I think they figured out they don't get hunted here.

Anyway, spring has arrived! The city swept our boulevards clear of accumulated debris; since that's where snow from the street is piled it accumulates quite a lot of debris when show banks melt. The street cleaner cleaned my street yesterday.

#430 2007-04-24 17:33:27

Earthfirst

It rained at my house on monday, I also have earned my BS degree in plant biology in december 2006, but can't get a job yet. I have not posted at newmars for a long time but I been working hard on a research project. Other than that I still like Mars.

I love plants!

#431 2007-06-10 15:06:35

dicktice

I doubt if your effusive outpourings regarding the hurly-burly that goes on in our Canadian communities with the coming of Spring, resonates half as well south of the border--I mean, in the United States!

I hope, by the way, that I'm right in correcting the rhyme you quote. I believe it should be as follows:

Spring is sprung,
The grass is riz,
I wonder where the birdies is.

#432 2007-06-10 16:10:16

RobertDyck
Website

dicktice, this is the "Apropos of Nothing" thread of the message board for the Mars Society. The Mars Society are my friends. I posted that message in April because I was feeling joyful that spring has arrived. I'm sure everyone is pleased when their favourite season arrives, and these people are my friends. I know a number of people who aren't able to hold an intelligent conversation about space exploration, technology, civics and politics, or anything that requires thought. Just this afternoon I had relatives visit, the adults were running around and interrupting each other. When I did get an intelligent conversation started with one of them, someone would interrupt and talk right over me to the very person I was talking to. His all important bit of information that he just had to interrupt about was something silly like humid outside; we were inside with air conditioning. This is the Mars Society, these people are my friends, we can actually discuss things like terraforming Mars, why Venus has so little water, or the origin of a planetary magnetic field. My gushing about the arrival of warm summer weather may be a bit technical, but that's who I am. And people here are able to understand technical stuff.

It's also a hope that those who live in warmer climates down south will appreciate what they have. Canada is wonderful in summer, but I find winter damn cold!

#433 2007-06-11 19:09:43

clark

to the great people of the north, we hear your plea. fear not. we are working diligently to export our weather to your borders.

that is all.

#434 2007-06-12 15:58:58

dicktice

I have experienced the same indifference, nay ignorance willfully maintained, by by acquaintances here in rural Nova Scotia, but I couldn't help pulling your leg for being so ... so Canadian .. or in my case, Scandinavian, at this time of year: Midsommar tiden!

#435 2007-06-19 10:03:49

Rxke

Yay, I'm 37 and finally finished my studies!
Yesterday I (successfully) defended my work for a jury and now I'm free!
(Oh, wait one I already have a job... So no holiday)

What an exciting day, I can finally call myself Master restorator/conservator of visual media, they threw a little party at my job at the university library of Ghent and I just had a whole day scanning in a most amazing book, back from the year 1121(!), the first ever illustrated encyclopedia in the world, (Liber Floridus) complete with dragons and a 'world map' that only shows Europe. I got a bit nervous when I heard it was estimated to be worth well over 5 million Euros though...

#436 2007-06-19 11:00:02

noosfractal
Website

Congratulations Rxke!  That must feel pretty awesome.

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#437 2007-06-20 08:06:28

Rxke

Sure does big_smile

#438 2007-06-28 17:44:18

RobS
Banned
Website

Congratulations, Rxke! Good luck, now, with the rest of your life (the part where you have to use the skills).

-- RobS

#439 2007-06-29 00:09:10

Rxke

:cry:   I cried victory a tad too early...
Yesterday I received news from my mentor that -much to his chagrin- an external jury considered my thesis too ecyclopedic, so I've got to rework it and present it again in September.
combining a full time job and moving houses in that timeframe with rewriting a thesis, Aaaargh!

Oh well....

#440 2007-08-27 18:47:01

Earthfirst

Hello, I am doing well. I got a job now working as a mounter of plants and file plants all day. Best of all I get to work around pretty 20 yr females, too bad that they are all married. Who would of thought that botany was a turn on for some women. I speak latin names all day and they lave every minute of it. But at 8.50 an hour I don't have the money to take them out, plus their husbands might not like it. 
All together I have fun, but as a good boy I can't be a player. I also have been growing beans in my garden.
I look at the full moon last night it was pretty, I think one day man will land on the moon for real. The second time is just as good as the first time ask anyone on the street.

I love plants!

#441 2007-10-02 13:16:21

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Hello, I am doing well. I got a job now working as a mounter of plants and file plants all day. Best of all I get to work around pretty 20 yr females, too bad that they are all married. Who would of thought that botany was a turn on for some women. I speak latin names all day and they lave every minute of it. But at 8.50 an hour I don't have the money to take them out, plus their husbands might not like it. 
All together I have fun, but as a good boy I can't be a player. I also have been growing beans in my garden.
I look at the full moon last night it was pretty, I think one day man will land on the moon for real. The second time is just as good as the first time ask anyone on the street.

Typically and unfortunately, if your working at a job that employs alot of women, that often means it doesn't pay very well, that's why they have husbands, to pay the bills, while the wrok to earn a little extra. In my case I drive a limousine, mostly male dominated, but still its more of a joblet than a job, unless you live in that limousine and have no one to support except yourself. I'm always looking for a new job. I do alot of reading between pickups, hence my interest here.

#442 2007-10-16 13:51:10

Earthfirst

I like my job, the ladies are nice even the one that said to me " All you Men are all the same!" I was just asking her why she wanted to study plants. She now will say hello to me in the morning, I think she has man problems single mother.  I don't try to pick them up but maybe I should, the two with wedding bands just seem to love me. It would be fun to be the other man, and break up a happy home. I like country music so it only natural for me to cause trouble.
Now that I have more free time I and final start dating nice ladies, the last 4 years have been borning and lonely. That explains why I like Mars, scifi channel, and video games I am a natural born nerd. The last lady I work with kept asking me to look her in to her eyes "hazel", if I had a grilfriend. The women I work with now told me that I would make a great father and how hansome I am. I guess they are looking for mates, but I am happy beening single for now. I just understand why I get hit on so much by older women at bars they buy me drinks and asking if I now what a couger is? The 8 years of my life since I was 16 they would not give me the time of day. But now that I lost 50 bls and earn my degree they  like me alot. I still feel like the same shy person. That is what I been thinking about, which explains my lack of interest in terraforming or Mars.

I love plants!

#443 2008-01-27 15:30:20

cIclops

Does this a topic need to be a sticky? Last message was 3 months ago.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#444 2008-04-13 15:29:37

Earthfirst

I got a another job, this time I count seeds all day. One bad thing is that I am so busy being a masters student and working I don't have time to post things about mars though no one took my idea to send all the liberals to the sun was good, but like the idea of sending them to the moon so I could rule Mars with a iron fist. There is no ACLU on mars my first task is to enslave the wimpy scientist to make me a doomdays machine to blow earth up or give me 1 million dollars. Then construct a gaint statue of me on Mars. My rule of insanity will be last for 1000 years! I call my self Ming the Bloodlust 1st emperor of Mars!

I am just joking but you guys need to get out into the sun and stop bloging in your mothers basment.

I love plants!

Board footer