New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#251 2005-09-08 06:50:40

Palomar

Re: I'll take malaprops for *5* Bob - Apropos of Nothing continues. . .

*There are if you have side dishes in storage bowls and use cutlery.

Side dishes?! Storage bowls?!  Blasphemy.   lol

*Sure.  Got to put the macaroni salad, lettuce salad and dessert in something.  smile

Rapidly slicing up a watermelon with a katana is always a favorite.  wink

Hmmmmm.  Will have to Google for "katana" -- that's akin to a sword.  ?

Remember when watermelons had those big black seeds, before they engineered them out? Better the old way.

Actually watermelons do seem sweeter and juicier grown naturally.  But the seedless are nice too...no more worries of "Hey, is that a seed or a picnic bug?"  Those little black bugs with, IIRC, the tiny pale yellow dots on them.  roll  Cute, but don't want a protein boost. 

I usually wake up a minute or two before the alarm goes off. Not one of those annoying buzzers (I tend to break those) this one plays CDs. My wife has a disc of Celtic music in there now, but I'm thinking the Imperial March might put me in a better mood at 05:30.

Imperial March, lol!  Your wife will wake up some morning to you in a helmet and robes?  Maybe should stick with the Celtic music.  We have the beep-type alarms.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#252 2005-09-08 07:47:01

Cobra Commander

*Sure. Got to put the macaroni salad, lettuce salad and dessert in something.

Bah! meat sandwiched between two pieces of meat with a side of meat.  big_smile

Hmmmmm. Will have to Google for "katana" -- that's akin to a sword. ?

The real trick to the watermelon thing is making the second cut in that first piece while it's still in the air without batting it across the yard.

Actually watermelons do seem sweeter and juicier grown naturally. But the seedless are nice too...

But they're not actually seedless, they just have smaller seeds more evenly spread around. I find it far more annoying. Fortunately I don't have a particular liking of watermelon so avoiding the whole issue is easy enough.

Then again, I find myself avoiding almost all man-made foods lately. Even engineered vegetables and steroid beef. The natural stuff costs a little more but I recommend it, I feel alot better after making that switch.

Gotta watch the grill closer though, like buffalo the meat can dry out real quick.

Imperial March, lol! Your wife will wake up some morning to you in a helmet and robes?

Off to another day of bringing order to the galaxy.  lol

A lightsaber and some orbital support would be immensely helpful in that morning commute.  :twisted:

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#253 2005-09-08 08:23:14

clark

For the record, Philadelphia is a stink hole.

Miss me? What am I asking, of course you did. If you didn't, and you know who you are, then maybe we can get together down at this years Mardi Gras. Don't worry, I'll meet you there

#254 2005-09-12 12:12:42

Palomar

Oh NO!

sad  Such a very sad and tragic story, and now the baby has died.  :cry:  I feel so sorry for the families involved.  ::shakes head::  Life sure is not fair.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#255 2005-09-14 08:58:50

DonPanic
Website

#256 2005-09-16 10:37:45

DonPanic
Website

LO

Other fun : How create an X wing fighter out of Paris metro tickets.

Sorry, gotta come to Paris if you want yours wink

Escadrille.jpg

http://www.hubertdelartigue.com/pp_xwing_01.html

#257 2005-09-16 11:38:00

BWhite

Mars radio audio file.

Its under sci-fi, Radio Mars.

Tomorrow's forecast. Rain likely.

Ooops, just kidding.

and this:

Next up, bunker 17C Cydonia base. Talk to me Cy-baby

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#258 2005-09-16 17:25:34

Grypd

Well he may the most powerful man on Earth, He is in charge of the most powerful country. He controls the most powerful armed forces.

But he has to ask permission to go to the toilet????

Condie, can I go to the toilet

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#259 2005-09-16 19:44:17

BWhite

Well he may the most powerful man on Earth, He is in charge of the most powerful country. He controls the most powerful armed forces.

Grypd, you don't know the whole story do you?

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#260 2005-09-18 00:59:47

Josh Cryer

The spiders here are insanely huge.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#261 2005-09-18 08:26:08

Grypd

And thankfully I have insanely large shoes  8)

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#262 2005-09-19 08:32:32

BWhite

Elsewhere, I saw this:

A man who manages to write two conditionals, "I think" and "I may", as well as wondering whether he could possibly go to the bathroom, in a short note to his Secretary of State - is not in command, he is being commanded.

#263 2005-09-22 05:20:45

clark

One day, people will be able to answer the rhetorical question, "what planet are you from?" with an actual answer.

Lovely day.

#264 2005-10-01 15:05:15

Rxke

"fellowship of the Ring" on TV right now.

And me posting on New Mars... Out of boredom.

What a lame movie, even worse than the mediocre book. Booooring cinematics.... Absolute low: that bad guy (the old one) doing his hooka-hey stuff to make the mountains crumble. Honestly, that was baaaad. B-film quality framing, laced with cliches aplenty, brrrrr...

One good quote so far: "they have a cave-troll!"  lol

Hey, so what, we have those here too!

#265 2005-10-01 18:21:25

Josh Cryer

I loved the Return of the King, but I agree with you, the first one was too slow.

I'm about to put an oil pan gasket on my moms car. Yay!

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#266 2005-10-02 03:21:08

Rxke

I've been pondering about this whole ring thing... What exactly makes the lords of the ring better than, say, Xena? (except for Xena obviously being a descendant of the ring 'heritage')

IMO, it's all fairly cheap mumbo-jumbo medieval lore ripoff stuff.

#267 2005-10-02 07:44:13

Palomar

I've been pondering about this whole ring thing... What exactly makes the lords of the ring better than, say, Xena? (except for Xena obviously being a descendant of the ring 'heritage')

IMO, it's all fairly cheap mumbo-jumbo medieval lore ripoff stuff.

*I actually don't care much for medieval-type fantasy television shows/movies.  There's something about thatched huts and uncombed hair and lots of moss... {{shudder}}. 

Give me a story set in outer space in a clean, ultra-tech spaceship anyday.  smile

--Cindy

#268 2005-10-05 16:13:28

RobertDyck
Website

It's snowing today. It's only October 5 and it's snowing! The first snow that stays usually comes right after Halloween, rarely right on Halloween. The weather report predicts a high of +16°C (+60.8°F) Saturday, but it's been snowing for hours now. Feels like summer is dead. Noooooooo! I feel so depressed.

I haven't cut the lawn for the last time. I picked my apples but those that fell to the ground still haven't been collected and thrown out. My grapes are still on the vine. I'm told you have to let frost just touch them for maximum sweetness, but this is ridiculous. I didn't expect to pick the grapes for another 2 weeks.

Another summer gone. That feels like another year shot to hell.

#269 2005-10-05 18:36:25

Palomar

It's snowing today. It's only October 5 and it's snowing! The first snow that stays usually comes right after Halloween, rarely right on Halloween. The weather report predicts a high of +16°C (+60.8°F) Saturday, but it's been showing for hours now. Feels like summer is dead. Noooooooo! I feel so depressed.

I haven't cut the lawn for the last time. I picked my apples but those that fell to the ground still haven't been collected and thrown out. My grapes are still on the vine. I'm told you have to let frost just touch them for maximum sweetness, but this is ridiculous. I didn't expect to pick the grapes for another 2 weeks.

Another summer gone. That feels like another year shot to hell.

*Sorry, Robert.  And isn't this your first time in the Apropos thread?

I noticed company e-mails wherein some ladies couldn't get to the office because of a winter storm in Minot, North Dakota.

Probably shouldn't mention it, but our high today was 89 degrees and sunny.  It's been too long of a summer here (am tired of the heat).  Starting tomorrow we'll be more seasonal; mid-70s temps.  I have all my jackets washed for when it cools down even further.

--Cindy

P.S.:  My kitten likes jumping in the shower with people.  She's the only cat I've known who likes water.  tongue

#270 2005-10-05 20:12:13

RobertDyck
Website

Every winter I keep asking myself why I'm still here. I'm a summer person, after the year I spent in Miami the winter is hard to take. I lived through hurricane Fran in a suburb of Richmond, Virginia, and hurricanes Floyd and Irene in Miami. The reason I was prepared in Miami was that I lived through one in Virginia. I can live with hurricanes. I would prefer Miami heat to Winnipeg winter. It didn't get colder than -36°C last winter, but the winter before had 3 days that got down to -40°C. When it's that cold the wind is bad. According to this wind chill calculator when it's -40°C and the wind is 30km/h the wind chill is -59. If you treat wind chill as temperature Celsius and convert that to Fahrenheit that works out to -74.2°F. So why am I still here?

(Looks at news from Iraq.) Oh yea.

Besides, Immigration for the purpose of creating a business requires you create a new business with at least 10 new jobs, and have $1 million dollars. It used to be $10 million. There's a new rule that you can have $0.5 million if it's in a "targeted employment area, which is an area that has experienced unemployment of at least 150 per cent of the national average rate." Yea, right! I have my house. No savings but I have paid the mortgage. It's a 2-bedroom 98-year-old house, not worth anywhere near that. I have applied for a NASA contract but I think I can do it myself, no employees. I could try building houses in the hurricane zone, but there are many companies that can build houses. Besides, my house is still not worth even a fraction of the lowest amount. So it's another year in the city nick-named "Winterpeg".

My cat keeps walking between me and the keyboard. She brought her scrap of plastic trash to play with. She likes it when I hide and wiggle it under a towel; she pounces and digs it out. She isn't a kitten anymore, her first birthday was September 1. I had her spayed last winter so I guess she hasn't been a kitten since then. She still follows me everywhere.

#271 2005-10-06 14:22:18

Josh Cryer

Robert, consider it training for Mars time. big_smile

--------

#272 2005-10-06 15:05:48

Palomar

Every winter I keep asking myself why I'm still here. I'm a summer person, after the year I spent in Miami the winter is hard to take. I lived through hurricane Fran in a suburb of Richmond, Virginia, and hurricanes Floyd and Irene in Miami. The reason I was prepared in Miami was that I lived through one in Virginia. I can live with hurricanes. I would prefer Miami heat to Winnipeg winter. It didn't get colder than -36°C last winter, but the winter before had 3 days that got down to -40°C. When it's that cold the wind is bad. According to this wind chill calculator when it's -40°C and the wind is 30km/h the wind chill is -59. If you treat wind chill as temperature Celsius and convert that to Fahrenheit that works out to -74.2°F. So why am I still here?

(Looks at news from Iraq.) Oh yea.

Besides, Immigration for the purpose of creating a business requires you create a new business with at least 10 new jobs, and have $1 million dollars. It used to be $10 million. There's a new rule that you can have $0.5 million if it's in a "targeted employment area, which is an area that has experienced unemployment of at least 150 per cent of the national average rate." Yea, right! I have my house. No savings but I have paid the mortgage. It's a 2-bedroom 98-year-old house, not worth anywhere near that. I have applied for a NASA contract but I think I can do it myself, no employees. I could try building houses in the hurricane zone, but there are many companies that can build houses. Besides, my house is still not worth even a fraction of the lowest amount. So it's another year in the city nick-named "Winterpeg".

My cat keeps walking between me and the keyboard. She brought her scrap of plastic trash to play with. She likes it when I hide and wiggle it under a towel; she pounces and digs it out. She isn't a kitten anymore, her first birthday was September 1. I had her spayed last winter so I guess she hasn't been a kitten since then. She still follows me everywhere.

*Well of course I don't know the ins and outs of immigrating to America.  But couldn't you liquidate your company, obtain U.S. citizenship on a different (non-business) basis and once you're in then restart your business?  I'm sure you thought of that, and I admit to having no idea what all is involved (there or here).

As for the war situation:  Life's short, why let that factor stop you?  Unless, of course, it is the matter of your U.S. tax $ going to fund a war effort you oppose. 

Your cat sounds so cute.  smile  I used to like dogs and cats equally, but am starting to prefer cats.  At least they don't bark at all hours of the night...  My sister-in-law has a Pomeranian who is untrained.  That dog is a Nuisance.  I am an animal lover, but that pooch tries my patience when we're visiting.  He belongs in the yard, not in the house.

Hopefully you'll get another warm spell before Old Man Winter sets in for true.  I see North Dakota got slammed with up to 2 feet of snow in some areas (Minot).  Last week the temps were in the 90s, now this.  Weather forecast is for a warming trend -- hopefully for you too (though it'll do no good for your grapes).

I remember crazy temp fluctuations while living up north...balmy spring-like weather one day, ground blizzard and single-digit temps the next.  Don't miss it.  neutral

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. 

--Cindy

#273 2005-10-07 15:14:42

Palomar

P.S.:  My kitten likes jumping in the shower with people.  She's the only cat I've known who likes water.  tongue

*She also likes sneaking mallowcreme pumpkins from the candy dish and playing with them.  Won't eat them, but definitely likes to bat them around between her paws, lol! 

Our temps finally have dipped into autumn-like range.  I've been having cravings for autumn-style foods/beverages as well, particularly hot chocolate mid-day and oatmeal for breakfast.  Yum.

--Cindy

#274 2005-10-17 18:26:18

Josh Cryer

Worst.week.ever.

--------

#275 2005-10-20 05:29:45

clark

he is still bald.

Board footer