New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-03-18 02:00:36

Scott Bainbridge
Banned

Re: What will society on Mars be like? - Will we be in classes?

I'm writing an essay for uni atm, and I need ideas (preferably with research behind them, but i don't care really) What do you all think society on Mars will be like, who will be considered important, will we be modeled similar to Earths society (if so what era), will it consist of all walks of life (race, culture, religion, labourers, scientists, tradesmen, rich, poor, common, upper class, etc) any ideas that could be explored.

Thanks guys
Scotty

Mondays are a terrible way to spend one seventh of life

#2 2003-03-25 10:58:48

MarsGuy2012
Banned

Re: What will society on Mars be like? - Will we be in classes?

One thing I would suggest for early Martian settlements would be to send homogenous groups of people to Mars.  This isn't my idea.  You can read all about it in 'On to Mars', the article "Dissident Colonies" on page 208.

The authors state that small groups of people isolated from larger society living in a harsh environment will function better and be more successful if they have more things in common and don't feel like they fit in the larger society.

For example: the Pilgrims set off to America to escape religious persecution.  They were a homogenous group and were quite successful.  We still carry their ideas and values with us today.
Also: the Mormons (Latter-Day Saints) did the same thing and colonized Utah.  They are now over 10 million strong.

I would guess that is the way things would be on Mars.  Small groups of people that have a lot in common (religous groups, political groups, Mars lovers, etc.) and would rather be free of the old Earth will be the first colonists.

It would be analogous to early America but it would address the issues that face us today (or in the near future).  These groups might be fleeing the USA for freedom of privacy.  Or they might go there to test out there political ideas that have no chance in America's two party system.

I think there will be less poverty, starvation, homelessness, etc. because the first colonists will be more educated and because as a society we have evolved a little bit beyond the America of the 1700's.  Owning slaves, running sweatshops, and working children in coal mines are just a few of our bad habits that are frowned upon today.

Now as you can tell, my ideas have a strong American bias.  So, take what I say with a grain of salt.  I do think though, that a majority of early colonists will be American or 'western thinkers' simply because America and the west are pioneers in space and have the greatest number of wealthy people and strong economies.

Board footer