New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2019-01-20 14:22:48

EdwardHeisler

Donald Trump has never cared about workers, and never will

Donald Trump has never cared about workers, and never will
By John Nichols
John Nichols is associate editor of The Capital Times.
The Cap Times
Jan 15, 2019

The biggest lie ever told in American politics is the claim that Donald Trump cares about working people.
He never has. He never will.

As a bankruptcy-prone business mogul, Trump always financed his lavish lifestyle at the expense of the workers and contractors he screwed over. Now he is doing the same thing as president. That was made abundantly clear last Friday, when the government shutdown that Trump engineered denied 800,000 federal employees their paychecks.

“Cheating, scamming, and ripping off workers is a Donald Trump tradition that goes back decades. Federal workers are just Trump’s latest victims,” said Public Citizen President Robert Weissman as the deadline for paying the workers passed. “For decades, Trump repeatedly didn’t pay those who worked for him, and now that he’s in the White House, little has changed. Hundreds of thousands of federal workers and employees of federal contractors are suffering the same fate because of the Trump shutdown.”

Paul Shearon, president of the International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers, described the shutdown as “completely unnecessary.” And, of course, he was right. “The real problem is that President Trump has shut himself down and he’s refusing to do his job as chief executive,” explained Shearon, whose union represents judges in U.S. immigration courts, scientists, engineers and technical workers at NASA, and highly skilled workers at the EPA and NOAA.

The human cost has been severe for federal workers who, as American Federation of Government Employees National President J. David Cox Sr. has noted, have take-home pay averaging about $500 a week and in many cases “struggle to make ends meet even without a missed paycheck.”

Yet Trump has no qualms about “holding employees’ paychecks hostage over demands for a border wall,” Weissman said.
Trump actually claimed that unpaid federal workers could just “make adjustments.” The president also announced that he “can relate” to the difficult circumstance he has imposed upon the workers.

That kind of talk, Weissman said Friday, was “pretty rich coming from a six-time bankrupt real estate mogul who inherited his daddy’s fortune. Working families who are living paycheck to paycheck and can no longer afford to pay for rent, groceries and medical bills because of Trump’s reckless shutdown have every right to be furious at the president’s oblivious and patronizing remarks.”
Trump promised during the 2016 campaign that “the American worker will finally have a president who will protect them and fight for them.”

That was a lie.

As Weissman said, Trump as president has “betrayed workers at every turn.”
“From rolling back health, safety and wage protections to misleading coal miners to tax giveaways for billionaires and big corporations that left most Americans with a pittance,” he explained, “it should be obvious by now that Trump holds working people beneath contempt."

https://madison.com/ct/opinion/column/j … e5852.html

#2 2019-01-20 15:40:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Donald Trump has never cared about workers, and never will

He sees the negatives of accounting as positives in that he will take what he thought was money from the shutdown to try to send to building a wall. Just the same way as moving the FEMA money for the disasters.... Thou all the money is not saved and people will be paid for staying home. That it actually costs you more for a shutdown is higher once the people do return to working and the damage is lasting for those that had to work in a shutdown but was unpaid during that time period.

#3 2019-01-24 20:33:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

The war on the shutdown is continuing and while Trump says a wall will make us safe and that is full of bs.
The fact that workers are calling in sick for our airlines and other agencies that have not been funded and this is causing a safety issue.
Dueling measures were seen in the senate in which both were a no go and even a compromise effort is being tagged by Trump wanting a down payment for his wall.
Its not going anywhere either....

#4 2019-01-28 18:34:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Donald Trump and the shutdown reveal him as The Wizard of Oz -- all smoke and bluster and not much else

In “The Wizard of Oz,” Emerald City is ruled by a dictator who uses fear and the illusion of power to get his way. Then Dorothy stands up to the Wizard and reveals him to be a little man on a stool using a megaphone to make his voice, and himself, appear more powerful then he really is.

At the end of the movie, after Dorothy reveals the Wizard of Oz is a fraud, he waves goodbye to her as she returns home without any help from him. Dorothy used her own power to stand up to the Wizard of Oz, to help those around her, and to control her destiny. And when she is reunited with her loved ones Dorothy proclaims “There’s no place like home.”

#5 2019-01-28 21:56:02

Void

I believe he kept the witches at bay.  The wizard did the best he could but yes he was like most of us far less than the obstacles before him.

He did set the main characters to a very hard and dark task.  But really that is a kind of example story of a life lived well.  Overcoming insurmountable obstacles.  A thing to admire.

He was really a narrator, symbolic.

He revieled himself as very correct when he explained to the Lion, Tinman, and Scarecrow, that in reality they had everything inside of them that they thought they lacked.

Dorthey also had a thing to learn, and she did.

There are endless jokes surrounding the politics of today.  We will see what history says, if we remain here long enough.

So maybe other people understand it differently.  That's OK.  I said how I understand it.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2019-01-28 21:58:19)

Done.

#6 2019-01-31 16:59:54

JoshNH4H
Website

Hey EdwardHeisler,

Do you come to this forum to talk about Donald Trump or about Mars?

I have no love for our President but it seems to me that I rarely see you talking about anything else.

-Josh

#7 2019-02-01 22:40:02

EdwardHeisler

JoshNH4H wrote:

Hey EdwardHeisler,

Do you come to this forum to talk about Donald Trump or about Mars?

I have no love for our President but it seems to me that I rarely see you talking about anything else.

Will you also be attacking our Administrator, SpaceNut,  for his criticisms of Trump?

I didn't know you have been stalking me and monitoring my posts.   You clearly haven't done a competent job as the New Mars Forum post monitor because you have missed my numerous posts regarding Mars.

Have you visited and posted on the Mars Society subreddit yet?   Here's the link.   
https://old.reddit.com/r/MarsSociety/new/

#8 2019-02-02 17:55:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Oh no the thought police ... not. I am just not liking either Hillary or Trump with a choice of picking the lesser evil or something that stood not chance and did not care for Burnie.. not all that promissing.

Will be paying attention to the field of newbies closely as to see what will shake out that is not that same choice to be made.

Thanks for the old link....

#9 2022-08-07 07:54:24

Mars_B4_Moon

The voice of Donald Trump continues, a blog shared and mirrored despite a ban across much of Social Media and banned and censored across the internet

Donald Trump

'Wow, the Tax increase for middle income families in New Democrat Bill is staggering. We are in a recession. This is no time to raise taxes. U.S. manufacturers will flee, and quickly!'

45th President of the United States of America

Perhaps Traditional Libertarian Democrats hate what has happened some cities
and does any neo-Democrat nu-Left care about all those mass shootings across multiple cities in a weekend?

Chicago shootings: 47 shot, 6 fatally in weekend violence across city, police say
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootin … /12106594/

Board footer