New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-12-30 13:45:27

kbd512
Administrator

Whats Dr. Zubrin working on Now

Louis,

Dr. Zubrin probably isn't an employee, but SpaceX is paying him for consulting services.  That's why he wasn't permitted to discuss what he knew about BFR.  He signed a NDA with SpaceX.  I'm sure that Elon Musk will do what he thinks needs to be done, but Mr. Musk is also a very pragmatic individual.

#2 2018-12-30 14:25:07

louis

Re: Whats Dr. Zubrin working on Now

I can certainly believe that Musk is accessing Zubrin's experience and ideas. That's quite a long way from being a "disciple". Musk's approach generally doesn't seem to follow that of Zubrin but I am sure there are areas where he can help.

kbd512 wrote:

Louis,

Dr. Zubrin probably isn't an employee, but SpaceX is paying him for consulting services.  That's why he wasn't permitted to discuss what he knew about BFR.  He signed a NDA with SpaceX.  I'm sure that Elon Musk will do what he thinks needs to be done, but Mr. Musk is also a very pragmatic individual.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#3 2018-12-30 14:25:40

Oldfart1939

Louis-
Bob Zubrin is president of Pioneer Astronautics in Lakewood, Colorado. He does lots of consulting work, and was reluctant to even mention SpaceX when I visited him last week. His focus now is developing all sorts of ISRU projects.

#4 2018-12-30 16:57:13

louis

I would think that is where Musk would be seeking Zubrin's input - on ISRU projects.

Oldfart1939 wrote:

Louis-
Bob Zubrin is president of Pioneer Astronautics in Lakewood, Colorado. He does lots of consulting work, and was reluctant to even mention SpaceX when I visited him last week. His focus now is developing all sorts of ISRU projects.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#5 2019-01-01 12:18:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

Oldfart1939 wrote:

Louis-

Nice to hear that he is working on other stuff as we noted here in the power, water, fuel, food and shelter topics...
Is there any details to indicate what he is working on, for where it will be applied?

#6 2019-01-01 12:44:16

Oldfart1939

I'm going to respect Dr. Zubrin's confidentiality; not able to disclose anything we discussed.

#7 2019-01-01 12:54:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nothing new with NDA's as they do expire typically.

Having worked a business that used them as part of developement shielding when others are asked to work on partial developement of a product, its got to be in place to keep the intellectual product out of the cloning realm.

Just musing as to how we can help as a group to success....

#8 2019-01-01 15:28:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Lets place our speculation then in the terms of the cover story plan from Zubrin's Moon Direct plan and what we need to stay there in order to keep reaching out accross the solar system...

Dr. Robert Zubrin Moon Direct: How to build a moonbase in four years

Board footer