New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-07-03 20:27:35

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

Re: Sept 11 is now poltician's tool of control - Manipulation, illegal and unethical

10,000 people in south america die of starvation every day. 

Their deaths are not as dramatic and awe-inspiring as those on sept 11.  They are not respected members of the establishment.  Purhaps they are not as close to home as the WTC.  They have no cameras thrust into their faces for all the world to see their pain.
      But, they are still humans, and their deaths still hurt the world community. 
      But, there is virtually no press coverage for these deaths, just a small article in the back of the newspaper labeled "famine in peru" or something like that.
       However, the deaths of the people in the twin towers is glorified to such a degree it is martyrism.  polticians are egging this on by using it in the sentance "to prevent another 9-11. ." 
        The terrorists wanted to destroy democracy at all levels possible.  what has happened is that the heart of america is following it's emotions and following those that most strongly pull on those emotions.  unfortantly the USA is being told what the emotions they hold are, and what is occuring is that the establishment is controling what emotions are proper.  As it stands, this trend will only lead to suffering and death for americans.  We must have objectivity and logical thinking in our poltical life.  Question the speeches of poltictians on objective grounds, and if they pass, so be it.
         The true test of sept 11 is not how we felt. . .it is only how we responded, and if that response was objective and justified at the highest grounds possible. . .the homeland act, war in iraq, are not justified, I believe.  Afghanistan was, but recent actions(disbanding of the standing army) show that the USA is reacting emotionally.  (americans are opposed to a standing army in afghanistan?!) 
          lashing emotionally will only bring more suffering to those who need it not.
          Responding in a objective and orderly way will restore a measure of stabilty and detente to the world.
           I love my country, I respect my president, and I believe deeply in democracy, but I cannot stand by as the establishment uses a tradegy to make a even greater tradegy.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#2 2003-07-04 11:01:59

Ian
Banned

Re: Sept 11 is now poltician's tool of control - Manipulation, illegal and unethical

Also. There are probably many other dictators in the world. Why go after the one in Iraq?

#3 2003-07-05 20:52:54

Cobra Commander

Also. There are probably many other dictators in the world. Why go after the one in Iraq?

Well, here's why. The Administration will never admit this, but it seems to me to be the most likely reason, even if they didn't realize it at the time.

We're fighting terrorists, not just al Qaeda but (supposedly) all terrorists. Many Arab countries support terrorists in one way or another. Those countries are not in the least bit inclined to assist us. They must be compelled to do so.

The most effective persuasion is to demonstrate that we can remove the governments of these countries with impunity. Iraq stands out as the best option due to being the strongest military power in the region and their recent history with us. Weapons of mass destruction are a nice story, and not one without truth, but not the major reason. In my oh-so-humble opinion, of course. cool

Now that we have shown that we can kick ass in the region even with months of warning, we are seeing some results. Syria and Iran now grudgingly comply with many of our requests when before they would have told the "Great Satan" to go to hell.

Not that I have anything against going after other dictators. I'd start with Cuba myself.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2003-07-05 21:39:49

sethmckiness
Banned

prometheusunbound Posted on July 03 2003, 22:27

10,000 people in south america die of starvation every day.

With a population of around 400 million, I find this hard to believe.  Specifically since the death rate in South America is 6.75 per 1000.  Your quoted starvation rate is 9.125 per 1000.  This is quoting a study done by Iowa State University.

I find it hard to believe there is a higher rate of Starvation then Death.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#5 2003-07-06 07:58:22

Shaun Barrett

Thanks for doing what I'd intended to do when I first saw that statistic, Seth.
    I'm sure Prometheusunbound acted in good faith when he posted that figure but, unfortunately, there's a lot of BS being bandied around out there by doomsayers. It looks like P.unbound just fell victim to some of it.

For a refreshing look at the facts, written by an Associate Professor of Statistics from Denmark, get a copy of "The Skeptical Environmentalist" by Bjorn Lomborg.
    I bought this book myself just recently and haven't had a chance to get very far into it but the author certainly corrects and clarifies a lot of the nonsense spouted by would-be 'authorities' on the state of the planet.
    Even from the small part I've read so far, it's clear some parties have a vested interest in exaggerating the negative aspects of almost everything. It's pleasing to see that, at last, we may be reaching a turning point where people are questioning the constant barrage of bad news and the motives of its authors.
                                     cool

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2003-07-06 15:51:06

Echus_Chasma
Website

For a refreshing look at the facts, written by an Associate Professor of Statistics from Denmark, get a copy of "The Skeptical Environmentalist" by Bjorn Lomborg.
   I bought this book myself just recently and haven't had a chance to get very far into it but the author certainly corrects and clarifies a lot of the nonsense spouted by would-be 'authorities' on the state of the planet.
   Even from the small part I've read so far, it's clear some parties have a vested interest in exaggerating the negative aspects of almost everything. It's pleasing to see that, at last, we may be reaching a turning point where people are questioning the constant barrage of bad news and the motives of its authors.

I agree with you there Shaun, The Skeptical Environmentalist is a very enlightening book.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#7 2003-07-07 09:01:00

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

seth, thank you for pointing that out.  But even though the starvation rate is not that high, I still believe it does not seriouly damage my agruement. . .I should know better than to rely on hearsay (heard it in church) for these sorts of things. big_smile

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

Board footer