New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2018-11-20 13:11:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

Opening up Tourism for Space

As part of the business plan this is a part of that topic beyond funding and what we will travel on or of its stay..

Not on that list is the opening of those that could afford to pay and or at least want to work off the pricing of the ticket to mars until now.

Tourism was when shuttle and ISS were the extra seats on board shuttle or Soyuz but that stopped a while ago.

That looks like its about to change in the NASA may start selling tourists tickets to space

We know that a higher flight rate drives down prices of all activity with regards to access to space.

Why NASA wants to look at flying tourists to space — a dramatic change for a by-the-book agency

NASA is considering selling seats on the spacecraft that will ferry its astronauts to the International Space Station, offering rides to the public while opening another line of revenue as the agency attempts to broaden its appeal.

On several occasions, Russia has flown wealthy people who paid millions of dollars for the ride to space. And a trio of private companies backed by billionaires is also looking to fly tourists out of the atmosphere.

Of course more destinations will open up more opportunity but its a start.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-amer … 50h1z.html

498904277bdc9a802fce5ce96313c53f5855e47c

operations cost for the station is 3.5 billion and this will offset some of the costs but getting the customers may be also a problem...

#2 2018-11-24 17:09:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Opening up Tourism for Space

Soyuz seats are some where between the 10 to 20 million last time we had word on them.

So what would the new attitude for Nasa account for in a seat price?

#3 2018-11-24 18:18:19

louis

NASA will be beaten by Virgin, Space X and Blue Origin for sure. The era of Space Tourism is upon us - it will be well established by 2025. 

I expect to see lunar tourism bases by 2025 - though Space X may have to hold back a bit to spare NASA's pride.

Going to visit the original Apollo 11 landing site will I think be a great pull for tourists. The Peaks of Eternal Light as well perhaps...

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2018-11-24 18:37:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

Virgin is only suborbital
Blue origin is currently suborbital but gaining there wings with getting to the next step
Space x is almost there for orbital but will they go further will take time
Nasa will be up and running soon but will they continue without a boat load of cash to its contractors or will the purse strings be closed
Boeing and Lockheed both are striving to replace there old rockets with Boeing having the Starliner while Lockheed is focused elsewhere

The world has other nations that are also fostering commercial space flight and hopefully in time there will be moving people as well

#5 2018-11-24 19:49:12

louis

Yes they are only suborbital but they have still taken a lot of bookings. They do achieve weightlessness I think.

I don't think there is any doubt Blue Origin will achieve great things...they just have so much money behind them.

Once the BFR (now Starship) is in place - which I don't think is going to be that long (we are not talking about the F9H - a bad concept really when all is said and done, like the Space Shuttle, however maginificent it looks). This is a scaling up, just the sort of thing I believe Space X can do really well. So I will be surprised if the BRF-Starship isn't up and running and available for human flight by 2022.

SpaceNut wrote:

Virgin is only suborbital
Blue origin is currently suborbital but gaining there wings with getting to the next step
Space x is almost there for orbital but will they go further will take time
Nasa will be up and running soon but will they continue without a boat load of cash to its contractors or will the purse strings be closed
Boeing and Lockheed both are striving to replace there old rockets with Boeing having the Starliner while Lockheed is focused elsewhere

The world has other nations that are also fostering commercial space flight and hopefully in time there will be moving people as well

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#6 2018-11-27 20:57:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

This first step is a tiny step but a big one down the path to getting more people into space.
The next space x flight is schedueled for Jan. 7 date set for first SpaceX unmanned capsule to International Space Station This is the Crew Dragon's commercial flight will be known as Demo-1 or DM-1 only with no one on board.

art-spacex-crew-dragon-docking-iss-hg.jpg

Board footer